"If You Had My Love" reached #1 this week, 20 years ago

SavagePapi

This Week in Billboard Chart History: In 1999, Jennifer Lopez jumped to her first Hot 100 No. 1 with "If You Had My Love"

June 12, 1999
20 years ago: In a boom for Latin pop, after Ricky Martin spent five weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Livin' La Vida Loca," Jennifer Lopez dethroned him, as "If You Had My Love," her first Hot 100 hit, began its own five-week command, marking her first of four total No. 1s.

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8515101/jennifer-lopez-if-you-had-my-love-this-week-in-billboard-chart-history-1999

Love this video.

such a 1999 video but in a good way

Oh the song she stole from Chante Moore... 

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Actually, according to the producers the song was specifically created for Jennifer. 

Jerkins: [Mottola told me], "I have this artist who I believe will be a superstar really soon," and he was looking for that breakthrough first single record. And me, at the time, it was like, "I get it. Let me go to the studio and create what I feel." After studying a little bit and talking to him about it, and him playing me other songs she'd already recorded with Cory, I went into the studio and created. And myself and my team and Cory Rooney wrote this song called "If You Had My Love."

Rooney: Michael Jackson is listening to [various] tracks, and when he gets to that track I'm crossing my fingers going, "oh my god, I hope he doesn't like it." But instead – Rodney wasn't in the room – but Michael starts going, "Oh, I like this one." I'm glad because he likes it, but I felt it wasn't a good Michael song -- it was a great Jennifer song. So my heart is sinking. He goes, "Man, I like this one," but then he looks at me, "But not for me! But man, this will be a great record for somebody." And I just, I celebrated to myself quietly. Then we ran back to the studio, immediately, and LaShawn Daniels, he and I were in the studio, Jennifer met us that day, and we started putting together those lyrics.

So you mean the song that inspired Chante's copy/paate "I Gave Love". 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Whatever helps you sleep sis. :sistrens:

Imagine disagreeing with the producers/songwriters. 

Good luck on that "copying" narrative sis.

:sistrens:

1999 was such a cool year for music and musicvideos.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:30 PM, SavagePapi said:

Actually, according to the producers the song was specifically created for Jennifer. 

So you mean the song that inspired Chante's copy/paate "I Gave Love". 

Sis don't do it.

Chante's came first

On 6/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, JonathanLGardner said:

Sis don't do it.

Chante's came first

Do your research before you try to come for me because sis I'm not the one.

Both released their albums WEEKS apart. Unless you can supply us the exact date that her record was recorded in the studio then I'm going to side with the producers/songwriters on this one. Sorry.

Producers >>>> Chante Moore's assumption

Edited by SavagePapi

On 6/17/2019 at 4:58 AM, SavagePapi said:

Do your research before you try to come for me because sis I'm not the one.

Both released their albums WEEKS apart. Unless you can supply us the exact date that her record was recorded in the studio then I'm going to side with the producers/songwriters on this one. Sorry.

Producers >>>> Chante Moore's assumption

She just told the story and it's not an assumption but a lived experience.

Chante had years in between her second and third album This Moment is Mine which featured If I Gave Love. 

It's obvious whose project was being worked on first - the artist already launched and established at that point who was Chante.

Let's not act like this is the first instance of JLo acquiring a pre-existing song. *cough* ASHANTI *cough*

That song is a classic. The beat alone, and Jennifer brought it to life.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, Rick said:

On 6/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, Rick said:

Whatever helps you sleep sis. :sistrens:

3 hours ago, JonathanLGardner said:

Chante had years in between her second and third album This Moment is Mine which featured If I Gave Love. 

It's obvious whose project was being worked on first - the artist already launched and established at that point who was Chante.

Let's not act like this is the first instance of JLo acquiring a pre-existing song. *cough* ASHANTI *cough*

Chante literally says "I heard..." in her interview. It's complete hearsay. Diddy has absolutely nothing to do with the creation of either song. Darkchild just recycled his own work and created a similar just as he and other producers have done for decades.

As for Ashanti, both the Murder remixes of "I'm Real" and "Ain't It Funny" were written specifically for J.Lo. She already songs of the same names and Cory Rooney approached Murder Inc to have them written. They were not pre-existing songs. :rip:

Finally, demos are often written and sold to other artists or old, obscure songs are sold to other artists. This is nothing new and nothing illegal... unlike Mariah's multiple cases of plagiarism

The way every Jennifer thread turns into a mess :bibliahh:

5 hours ago, JonathanLGardner said:

Not at all. Tommy Mottolla specifically asked the producers to create the song especially for Jennifer, as stated themselves. Diddy also wasn't a part of the process until the very end (more involved on the "J.Lo" album).

Chante Moore is and was a non-factor with one Top 10 hit under her belt. A hit she finally recieved in 1999. The same year as Jennifer's debut. She wasn't that bitch then and she certaintly isn't that bitch now as her royalty checks are down to pennies. Let's speak facts.

And when did J.Lo get a song that was Ashanti's? Ashanti wanted "I'm Real" for herself, but the song was written by Ja and she demoed it. It was created for Jen, again per Tommy Mottolla's instructions. "Ain't It Funny (Remix)" was written by Ashanti and was also for Jen. Get your tea together love.

And again...

Producers/Songwriters >>> Chante Moore's Delusions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.