Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Is ASIB the most successful popgirl film venture of all time

137 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So whilst many girls have tried their hand in the movie business, very rarely  a success like this happens. The movie grossed a ridiculous amount, her acting was so praised she got a nom for best actress, she won an oscar, she got a multi week number 1 album which is also one of the best selling recent albums, she got a number 1 single,  she got loads of other awards like golden globes. In the past other stars have managed to get one or two of these achievements for their movie efforts however i can't remember anyone else who did all this,  is it the most successful movie venture from a popgirl? 

star-is-born.jpg

Just now, Enoch said:

the bodyguard

I don't think she managed to win an oscar or was even nominated for one

Posted (edited)

Maybe well rounded. Whitney had much more success in the music industry with The Bodyguard than ASIB and Cher won the acting Oscar for Moonstruck but it didn't have ASIB's musical acclaim. Maybe Funny Girl for Barbra Streisand? Can't really think of any other movies starring a main pop girl which had as much success in both film and music.

yes

Barbra Streisand. Who had the second remake of the second film had bigger success than Gaga's

Barbra's soundtrack had 6 weeks at #1 more than Gaga's

Evergreen from the album spent 3 weeks at #1 more than Gaga's

Barbra won an Oscar, Golden Globe, Grammys SOTY and Best Pop Vocal Performance

So even if we want to nitpick, there are those that achieved greater success while doing film.

1 minute ago, luckythisway said:

Maybe well rounded. Whitney had much more success in the music industry with The Bodyguard than ASIB and Cher won the acting Oscar for Moonstruck but it didn't have ASIB's musical acclaim. Maybe Funny Girl for Barbra Streisand? Can't really think of any other movies starring a main pop girl which had as much success in both film and music.

Yeah that is what i meant, others had success in one or two areas but on the whole in terms of well rounded ASIB seemed to have done the best in all areas combined 

Maybe well rounded. Whitney had much more success in the music industry with The Bodyguard than ASIB and Cher won the Oscar for Moonstruck. Maybe Funny Girl for Barbra Streisand? Can't really think of any other movies starring a main pop girl which had as much success as any of these.

Yeah, mte. Bodyguard was bigger musically and Moonstruck was at least as much of a critical success. But ASIB was successful on all fronts.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lonnie said:

Barbra Streisand. Who had the second remake of the second film had bigger success than Gaga's

So even if we want to nitpick, there are those that achieved greater success while doing film.

The movie/acting were critically panned and she didn't receive a BA nomination, unlike the 2018 remake. 

No. a first Oscar win being in the Music category for a singer turned actress is not a good look. 😩

It doesn't even come close to the bodyguard 

4 minutes ago, lonnie said:

The 2018 ASIB grossed a hell of a lot more than that version though and was more successful at the box office. But i think in terms of popgirls Barbras version of ASIB and Gagas version are at the top 

I mean the receipts are there. Who am I to argue :chick3:

One of them. She was on her way to being one the biggest dads in history before this film happened. GP didn’t mention her, play her music, etc. until this song rebooted her status. She is now one of the biggest pop acts in 2019 in a non-pop-friendly music climate. Impressive and impeccable career decision that changed her destiny forever.

1 minute ago, Spencer Pratt said:

It doesn't even come close to the bodyguard 

In terms of what ? Musically the bodyguard is one of the biggest albums of all time so ofcourse it can't compete there however it was panned for its acting and she did not receive a quarter of the acclaim and awards Gaga did

The movie and acting was critically panned and she didn't receive a BA nomination, unlike the 2018 remake. 

No, Barbra got glowing reviews and was even considered by critics to be the highlight of the film, whereas with Gaga; Bradley Cooper's directing and the overall cast got the good reception

Roger Ebert gave the film two and a half stars out of four, writing in his review, "There is, to begin with, no denying Barbra Streisand's enormous talent. At the end of 'A Star Is Born' the camera stays on her for one unbroken shot of seven or eight minutes, and she sings her heart out, and we concede that she's one of the great stars of the movies, one of the elemental presences...I thought Miss Streisand was distractingly miscast in the role, and yet I forgave her everything when she sang."[9] Gene Siskel also gave the film two and a half stars, calling it "a lumbering love story made palatable by Streisand's superb singing."[10] Variety was positive, calling Streisand's performance "her finest screen work to date, while Kris Kristofferson's portrayal of her failing benefactor realizes all the promise first shown five years ago in 'Cisco Pike.' Jon Peters' production is outstanding, and Frank Pierson's direction is brilliant."

The overall take was that Barbra was great, so I'd say she got acclaim. And it has an average of 50 something on RT so that's not panned.

6 minutes ago, lonnie said:

So ASIB is the most successful pop girl film venture since 1976. Not bad at all :clap3:

No. That movie is a beloved classic, which has been remade almost 3 times in various languages and has grossed MILLIONS.

Gaga is a mediocre actress, there was a whole machinery behind her that got her an actress nom. when Toni Colette or others were left out.

The Oscars and Golden Globe are easily rigged and manipulated and behind its win was WB. Its a well-known fact.

One of. Most importantly it's undeniably up there. Factually, so y'all can argue over small stuff all you want kii :alexz3: 

No, Barbra got glowing reviews and was even considered by critics to be the highlight of the film, whereas with Gaga; Bradley Cooper's directing and the overall cast got the good reception

The overall take was that Barbra was great, so I'd say she got acclaim. And it has an average of 50 something on RT so that's not panned.

Still didn't get a Best Actress nomination, so my point stands. 

She was not nominated for best actress though like Gaga plus her version was a lot less acclaimed than the 2018 version. That being said hers was also one of the biggest by a popgirl

10 minutes ago, lonnie said:

:clap3:

2 minutes ago, Mrnoniee said:

No. That movie is a beloved classic, which has been remade almost 3 times in various languages and has grossed MILLIONS.

Gaga is a mediocre actress, there was a whole machinery behind her that got her an actress nom. when Toni Colette or others were left out.

The Oscars and Golden Globe are easily rigged and manipulated and behind its win was WB. Its a well-known fact.

SUFFER

3 minutes ago, LetsParty said:

The 2018 ASIB grossed a hell of a lot more than that version though and was more successful at the box office. But i think in terms of popgirls Barbras version of ASIB and Gagas version are at the top 

Well for one, Gaga's remake was in 2018 compared to Barbra's in 1976 so I guess it should be expected that Gaga's should gross what it did with a substantially bigger budget and with more tickets getting sold nowadays and what not.

Barbra's version grossed 80M with a budget of 6M, that's over 13 times what it got with the budget so it did really well. Gaga's also grossed well but Barbra's was a box office smash for it's time too.