Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Madonna - Madame X Review Thread: Metacritic - 70/100

298 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Lament said:

Nope!

Sad!

They gave her another 80 :sad:

Thank you musicOMH but the review is quite disposable, and I love the one by Slant. 

So they added Slant's 80 and musicOMH's 90, and one UK's 60 and score went down.

So 80 + 90 matters less than one 60? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

So they added Slant's 80 and musicOMH's 90, and one UK's 60 and score went down.

So 80 + 90 matters less than one 60? 

Clash is bigger/more important than musicOMH, that’s why. I agree that it should have stayed the same but one point less is not a big loss anyway. (Slant had been added before.)

So only RS (60) and Mojo (80) are missing now (from the reviews we already have.) RS weights a bit more than Mojo so perhaps it’s gonna be down one point.

11 minutes ago, Lament said:

Clash is bigger/more important than musicOMH, that’s why. I agree that it should have stayed the same but one point less is not a big loss anyway. (Slant had been added before.)

So only RS (60) and Mojo (80) are missing now (from the reviews we already have.) RS weights a bit more than Mojo so perhaps it’s gonna be down one point.

I didn't know that different publication have different weight on MC. but I guess the later scores need to be extremely low for the album to fall below 70?

3 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

I didn't know that different publication have different weight on MC. but I guess the later scores need to be extremely low for the album to fall below 70?

We don’t really how much each publication weighs but we know who are the bigger publications… RS is definitely in the biggest category. So is Pitchfork.

I’d be really surprised to see it below 70 but let’s keep in mind most reviews are coming in two days. We might have 16 other reviews, or even more. Some of them will be bad (The NY Times for obvious reasons…) and will bring it down. But overall the reviews so far have been good/great so I’d expect the proportion to be the same!

It’s downstairs music, the distant bassline rumbling beneath your feet as you slip into a bathroom stall for a quick bump or f*ck.

oh my

NjDS2Oq.gif

The Slant's review was pretty spot on. They got all of the references and what they said about Killers is very much how I feel about it (on paper it is pretty cringeworthy, but she really sells it with the delivery). And they had the same issues with it that I do: the Autotune has become a crutch rather than a tool in places, and FG/BIL don't really fit the album (I still enjoy them, they just seem jarring in a way that some of the other genre flips throughout don't).

Anitta offers a far more interesting female counterpoint to Madonna than her previous distaff collaborators Britney Spears (on “Me Against the Music”) and Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. (on “Give Me All Your Luvin’”).

:clap3:

Posted (edited)

Uncut doesn't review popstars, except for Lemonade two years ago.

M is the only popstar that they have always reviewed and always bringing her scores down:dies:

3 hours ago, Jjang said:

Now watch MC translate that to a 60

Variety doesn't count for MC. Only their movie reviews do.

Very bad review from the LA Times, which can't stop talking about the 80s, the tour bundle and is using the same article to bring down Madonna's album and make Bruce look like a champion. https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-bruce-springsteen-western-stars-madonna-madame-x-review-20190613-story.html

I guess it will translate into a 40, if not less… So annoying.

Posted (edited)

Wait, apparently the LA Times doesn't count for music reviews anymore. And that's justified considering they're releasing such bad reviews…

EDIT: Oh wait, it does. It's just that they write one review every month………

My mistake, Variety counts. So MC still has to add: 

- LA Times: feels like a 40

- Rolling Stone: 60

- Variety: great review but let's be conservative, because MC will be. Let's say 65

- Mojo: 80

The album would fall in the lower region of the 70s imo. I think it will end up between 68 and 72

Uncut's 50 counts and now the MC score is down to 73. So yeah, the final score will definitely be below 70.

It’s finally out. And during God Control I was yelling to myself “**** yes. So proud to be a Madonna fan”. 

**** yes

20 minutes ago, Lament said:

My mistake, Variety counts. So MC still has to add: 

- LA Times: feels like a 40

- Rolling Stone: 60

- Variety: great review but let's be conservative, because MC will be. Let's say 65

- Mojo: 80

The album would fall in the lower region of the 70s imo. I think it will end up between 68 and 72

but how can they add the LAtimes? there's no obvious score

9 minutes ago, wanderlust said:

but how can they add the LAtimes? there's no obvious score

They guess it...

just like they guessed Variety’s. The review was SO good yet they decided it was only a 75. The album didn’t move and is still at 73.

Their LA Times score is gonna be so bad...

Why do stans care so much about reviews? It’s such an arbitrary thing to critique music. A lot of the negative reviews have valid points just as the positive ones do too, not everyone will like the album, and many will.

i don’t personally love it, but many people think it’s her best since Hard Candy and there’s nothing wrong with that.

at least the album wasn’t panned across the board, that’s when things get more messy. She released a cohesive album that may or may not be to peoples tastes. It’s not an easily digestible album, we can agree on that right?

7 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

Why do stans care so much about reviews? It’s such an arbitrary thing to critique music. A lot of the negative reviews have valid points just as the positive ones do too, not everyone will like the album, and many will.

i don’t personally love it, but many people think it’s her best since Hard Candy and there’s nothing wrong with that.

at least the album wasn’t panned across the board, that’s when things get more messy. She released a cohesive album that may or may not be to peoples tastes. It’s not an easily digestible album, we can agree on that right?

the media has been doing Madonna very dirty over last couple of years, so I guess everyone were hoping that they would do her justice this time around

52 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

the media has been doing Madonna very dirty over last couple of years, so I guess everyone were hoping that they would do her justice this time around

she's still alive. so it won't happen.

But ‘Madame X’ isn’t just an album (if it is that at all) – it’s an opera, or a comedy of errors.

It’ll make you feel confusion, frustration, happiness and maybe joy, but it will definitely make you feel.

clash

tumblr_mjb4ftO2oB1rtwvnuo1_400.gif

So 90 and 75 had no impact on the score, but when there's new 60 score goes down easily...