Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Madonna - Madame X Review Thread: Metacritic - 70/100

238 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Sun: (source 2)

SAY what you like about Madonna – she’s never boring.

In an industry which is quickly becoming devoid of personality, she has returned with her most diverse and out-there record ever.

Dark Ballet features a high-octane reimagining of the Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy while she addresses under-fire minority groups in Killers Who Are Partying.

I Don’t Search I Find harks back to the Nineties with an ambient trance beat, which is totally different from God Control and Come Alive, which feature vocals by Tiffin Children’s Choir, from South West London.

This collection could easily have felt like a clash of cultures gone too far, but there’s very little she can’t turn her hand to.

It’s ultra-contemporary, packed with variety and totally unlike anything she has done before.

Just like she did in 1998 with Ray Of Light, this is Madonna’s reinvention.

5/5 stars

Mirror.co.uk

Madame X is “a secret agent, travelling around the world, changing identities fighting for freedom, bringing light to dark places”... but all that can get pretty lonely.

On her new album Madame X, which a select few have been treated to a sneak preview of, Madonna opens up about feeling isolated.

5/5 stars 

NME

During its most reckless moments, ‘Madame X’ is bold, bizarre, and unlike anything Madonna has ever done before. The frantic ‘Dark Ballet’ harnesses gloomily spun strings and robotic overlord vocals; it’s as villainous and foreboding as ‘Ray of Light’s darkest moments, or her ‘Die Another Day’ Bond theme. Then, quite out of nowhere, an extended piano interlude morphs into a mangled, glitching excerpt of ‘Dance of the Reed Pipes’ from Tchaikovsky’s ballet ‘The Nutcracker’ – it’s brilliant, overblown ridiculousness. “I want to tell you about love…. and loneliness,” Madonna husks dramatically.

For the first time since ‘Confessions on a Dance Floor’, perhaps, there’s a glint in Madonna’s eye; her visible, un-eyepatched one, at least.  Sonically restless, ‘Madame X’ doesn’t imitate current pop trends as much as it mangles them into new shapes. A record that grapples with being “just way too much”, ultimately, it refuses to tone things down.

4/5 stars

The Guardian:

Perhaps it began pre-Confessions, when she kissed Britney Spears as if to parasitically extract her youth. Certainly by Hard Candy in 2008 she was playing catch-up, spurring Timbaland and the Neptunes to some of their tamest work, a good five years after their pomp. MDNA (2012) tried to keep pace with stadium EDM, while Rebel Heart (2015) struggled to get its head around a newly global, musically cosmopolitan pop market, and just randomly glued hip collaborators together. The woman who had once led was following, and sluggishly.

To her credit, she has not done what many in her position would then do: lick their wounds and sell a jazz standards album to Radio 2 listeners. With Madame X, Madonna instead grits her teeth, puts on a glitter-encrusted eyepatch, looks in the mirror with seriously reduced depth perception and says: “Bitch, I’m Madonna.” And by drawing on the Latin influence of not just reggaeton-crazed recent pop but also her new home base of Lisbon, she has, at 60, produced her most natural-feeling, progressive and original record since Confessions.

Throughout, there is more density and musical adventure than at almost any other point in her career (perhaps this is the influence of Mirwais, who produces numerous tracks here and gave Music its fiendish intricacy). Her voice is remarkably plastic, pitched down one minute and up the next, into a Sia-like bleat and out into robotic polyphony. Often, around the seabed of the mix, is a swirl of aqueous psychedelic sound, profoundly different and much more interesting than her earlier R&B and EDM minimalism.

Killers Who Are Playing ends with the questions: “Do you know who you are? Will we know when to stop?” The untamed, batshit Madame X suggests that Madonna doesn’t have the answer to either – and that her strength is in never knowing.

4/5 stars

Q Magazine:

With 2012’s MDNA and 2014’s Rebel Heart, it seemed Madonna was fighting, and often struggling, to stay at the centre of the pop universe. As a super-saturated blast of The Nutcracker crashes into Dark Ballet, Madame X’s second track, however, it feels like there’s been a loosening of grip and a new air of recklessness.

This is Madonna on top of the world, looking down on creation, God complex at cruising altitude.

On Rebel Heart, she recorded the uptight, authority-reasserting Bitch, I’m Madonna; here, she sings “Bitch, I’m Loca”, Madonna and the times, it seems, have fallen into step again.

4/5 stars

The Times UK

Madonna: Madame X review — probably her boldest album yet

4/5 stars 

Daily Star:

Rolling Stone Magazine:

Yet Madame X is so admirably bizarre, all you can do is stand back and watch the girl go. “It’s a weird kind of energy,” as she sings in “God Control” — a rare moment of Madonna understatement. She dips into a melting pot of Latin-pop styles, complete with a reggaeton jam called “Bitch I’m Loca.” It’s for fans of her loca edge only, full of experiments no other pop star on Earth would try.

3/5 stars

The Telegraph

Madame X sounds like three different albums fighting for space. 

3/5 stars

Inb4 the trolls :jonny5:

So far the reviews are positive. That's great!

So far 70/100 for MC

2 minutes ago, Lament said:

So far 70/100 for MC

Wouldn't the RS review put the score a bit below 70? 

how dare RS refer to American Life as 'certifiably ass' :biblio:

Great reviews so far :clap3:

15 minutes ago, Scandalous said:

That reviewer also reviewed Ray of Light in 1998 and said the album was not gonna leave her fans satisfied and gave it 4/5 stars :deadbanana2:

35 minutes ago, Scandalous said:

I mean, it isn't a good album. It has some standouts that elevate it beyond some of her other bad albums, but as a body of work it doesn't work imo. She and Mirwais have a tendency to start some of those songs strong and then ruin them with cringe-worthy lyrics or an unnecessary production gimmick.

Good reviews, I'm expecting some big numbers!

we love a madame X review thread. :smitten:

tumblr_psh7vlFzPp1qj28qwo1_r3_500.png

9 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

That reviewer also reviewed Ray of Light in 1998 and said the album was not gonna leave her fans satisfied and gave it 4/5 stars :deadbanana2:

:rip:

five stars by the sun and the mirror...

1 minute ago, wanderlust said:

five stars by the sun and the mirror...

:jonny5: the acclaim

The Guardian: 4 stars
The Mirror: 5 stars
The Sun: 5 stars
The Times: 4 stars

Rob Sheffield is so unforfestional. :cm: 

I Don’t Search I Find is coming to save more gays’ lives. :jonny5:

the BIL praise. :party:

I can’t believe she’s getting good reviews. Was expecting them to do the same type of ‘Madonna is old, stop chasing trends 2.5/5’.

And there’s better songs than what we have now too? :jonny5:I can’t wait. 

23 minutes ago, Junlin said:

I Don’t Search I Find is coming to save more gays’ lives. :jonny5:

Fact check. She’s not 61. 

that guardian interview is mostly about her age. wtf

25 minutes ago, LoveLiveMusic said:

Fact check. She’s not 61. 

2 months away. 

My mom turns 67 in August too

1 minute ago, dabunique said:

2 months away. 

My mom turns 67 in August too

What