Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Accolades aren't a talent.

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Why are pop fans so shameless about equating accolades with artistry and talent? Fans of other genres are able to seperate the two while acknowledging both, but pop fans don't seperate the two. I would say it's a vital part of pop stan culture to equate the two. And I get that a lot of the time accolades come from talent, but pop fans act like they're the same exact thing.

Well thanks for letting us know. 

Pop fans are clueless. 

For someone who's on a pop forum, you do nothing but whine and complain about pop music & its fans. 

You should stick to making parody threads like

Nobody cares 

IMG_0877.thumb.GIF.2a1cc686abb4d12f93021

1 minute ago, Almighty Gaga said:

For someone who's on a pop forum, you do nothing but whine and complain about pop music & its fans. 

rGvHSok.gif

Accolades getting pushed by pop stans and they are not even your:ace:

the girls really think it’s their stats they are bragging about 

I hope it's all for fun!

3 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

FjiRRQ6.jpg

Some accolades are meant to celebrate someone’s talents and the quality of their work - like the Grammys for AOTY Taylor has won for example.

3 minutes ago, Psycho said:

FjiRRQ6.jpg

4 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

Welp. That escalated pretty quickly :toofunny2:

6 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

FjiRRQ6.jpg 

24 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Some accolades are meant to celebrate someone’s talents and the quality of their work - like the Grammys for AOTY Taylor has won for example.

You really proved the OPs point there huh

FjiRRQ6.jpg

It's all part of the stan wars mania. 

But let's be honest, not until maybe 1998 music insiders did equate "Dance-Pop" to real music. So I think the using accolades with artistry/talent has been done in Pop for years, especially when the "experts" tried to diminish their success or their record breaking efforts by labeling the genre as "manufactured" or "not-lasting". Hell, we didn't even get a Grammy "Dance/Electronic" category until 2005.

But I will agree that these days (2010-Present), the fans do not know how to distinguish the two. It's really odd. For example, the other day I saw a post in TheShadeRoom on Lil' Kim and a Barb came in and decided to post about Nicki. As I'm reading, and everyone is replying with but "Lil' Kim is a legend", I saw a "Nicki went #1 in over 80 countries!". I thought to myself where? On itunes? And even so, what's her legacy? Like it's not even the same thing.

I do think it's a lot worse than we saw it in the 00s. Especially when the pop artists today have to boast about it on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. everytime they hit #1, Top 10, or get certified Gold/Platinum. They don't make it any better. So I think that's a huge part of it too.

35 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

Wow expose him a bit sis :toofunny2:

33 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

The recipient of this accolade is debatable but i agree with you.

If someone tried to drag Ed's talent and I clapped back by bringing up his chart records or awards - I would be booboo the fool in the argument.

Because pop music revolves heavily around sales and charts??

Pop fans know the difference, but they use accolades & success for bragging rights due to stan wars. The only reason it's more common in pop fans is because pop music is popular, which allows for easy access to this sort of thing.

Indie/rock fans tend to be the reverse, and can be pretentious and idiotic as long as a song doesn't touch the top 40. They act like because it's not pop music that the song that otherwise has a completely identical structure, lyrical content, etc. is better purely because it isn't top 40 or by a major artist. 

So yeah, Pop fans may use accolades in a shady way to take down other artists- but the reality is most humans have egos that make them think *they* are the ones that have the best taste. 

Agreed

FjiRRQ6.jpg

I'd also like to add that accolades don't make you MORE talented either.

Everyone posting my avi can suck my dick tbh