Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

1,042 posts in this topic

I'm most excited for Sawzall :jonny: 

Gimme still slaying me like that :jonny5:

I don't claim the other one :mandown:

Contaminated, Stroke, Godless, Alaska, Propaganda, and The Fall are gonna slay from the titles :jonny5:

Some reactions from the listening party :duca:

When is the album going to be released tho? It's in July, but what date?

7 minutes ago, St. Francis said:

When is the album going to be released tho? It's in July, but what date?

July 12th

Hawaiian Mazes is a TITLE! Curious to hear how it sounds, plus Paul Epworth :jonny2:

On 6/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, FCKNAmbrosia said:

Gimme still slaying me like that :jonny5:

I don't claim the other one :mandown:

Same. Hope the rest of the album slaps like Gimme. 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:03 PM, MM TT XX said:

Damn that user just spill the tracklist way before shes even announcing it.

the thing everyone on ATRL should learn is that the tea I deliver is always boiling hot :fan:

the tea in that article... i have to perch

is someone going to collogne?

why is her meet and greet 200€? :rip:

She talked about the album with The Line Of Best Fit (they better give her a good review :eli:)

ABOUT "TILL NOW":

Album opener “Till Now” provides a vivid illustration of the record’s coiled potential from the off. Despite heading up III’s tracklisting, it was the final song Banks wrote for the project, in collaboration with the aforementioned BJ Burton.

“I thought I was done writing, and then I had more to say,” she reveals. “I’m so addicted to making music I was actually just writing for fun. This song just came out. It started as this midnight, future, weird, overt, sexual thing. We took that melody a few days later, and it turned into something completely different that I had to express and hadn’t let out yet.”

“Till Now” opens with a simple, wordless vocal refrain; one that’s built on in vocoder-drenched layers as it builds in a manner initially reminiscent of Bon Iver’s “715 – CRΣΣKS”, becoming super-charged as the track reaches its gasping climax.

“A lot of the time when I’m making music and I think of melodies I’ll record something into a voice memo. The beginning [of “Till Now], I took the voice memo from used it straight from my phone,” Banks explains. “That song is pretty sparse, but it’s hard. It starts out with a voice memo, and it’s an ode to how I make music and where I am and where I’ve been. I have a certain process. It feels like a good opener for me.”

It’s true that “Till Now”’s magnetic, undeniable presence sets the tone for III as a whole. Despite its minimalism, it has a fiery edge lent by its distorted instrumentation and the authenticity of Banks’ one-take vocals.

ABOUT "WHAT ABOUT LOVE"

“A lot of songs [on the album] that have that youthful tenderness to them,” she says, citing “What About Love” and “Alaska” as prime examples. “’Sawzall’ was the first song that I wrote with that and I was like –“ she gasps dramatically “–‘what’s this new energy!?’

In few tracks is that youthful wonder captured more obviously than on “beyond special” album closer “What About Love”, which features a vocal sample from Banks’ four-year-old niece, Georgia (who is credited as a co-writer).

“It’s a really guttural song about love, that ends with my little pure, perfect niece saying ‘I love you’,” Banks confirms. “I wanted to end on that note: no matter what happens, you’re going to go through so many ups and downs, you’re going to dig deep and have some pain to get over. Life happens, but no matter what, I always want to feel hopeful and I always want to have a little bit of that romantic naïveté. I never want to be jaded, or bitter, but I also always want to feel like I’m learning and becoming wiser.”

ABOUT "GODLESS"

These ideas of cyclicity and growth; of openness both to new experiences and to closure, underpin III in ways that aren’t always immediately obvious. Our conversation gravitates to a track titled “Godless” (an unexpected name, given the religious undercurrents of both Goddess and The Altar), and Banks can’t help but laugh sheepishly as she reveals the “twisted” manner in which the song came to be.

“I dated someone during the Goddess era,” she begins. “We broke up. He’s amazing, but we had quite an intense relationship. I wrote about him on The Altar, hadn’t spoken to him in years. I know he heard it – I was super anxious about it, didn’t warn him, blah blah blah – all that stuff that probably most musicians and writers feel! Didn’t talk to him for a few years, and then met up with him years later. It was all good. We became friends again, but he was like, ‘I wrote this song about you, but I never finished it. I couldn’t finish it.’ It was a verse – and it was ‘Godless’.

“I write all my own music, of course, and I’m kind of a psycho about it. People try and tell my a lyric or a melody, and I’m like, ‘who are you!?’ But I heard this verse, and it really messed me up. It’s so beautiful. I was about me, and I was like, ‘give it to me! I wanna finish it!’ So I finished a song that my ex wrote about me, and I called it ‘Godless’, because of a million different reasons. Isn’t that so twisted? I mean, twisted in a really serendipitous way. It’s the most closure you could possibly get from a relationship! Let’s separately write about each other, then let’s come together and put a bow on it – we’re friends now! That’s crazy ****.”

ABOUT "STROKE" (the handjob part :rip: she's a mess sometimes :lmao:)

Banks’ fascination with the human mind manifests not simply through her music – the singer also completed a degree in psychology that she notes was motivated by “the same intrigue” as her songwriting. Her experiences as an empath permeate III, though in few places surface more than “****ing weird” fourth track “Stroke”. Hair-raisingly distorted and peppered with unnerving, graphic vocal samples, it’s a track that confronts a difficult, almost dangerous relationship dynamic over twanging guitar and crunchy, penetrating beats.

“I dated a narcissist,” she states simply, when asked from which well the inspiration for “Stroke” first sprung. “As an empath, that combination is ****ing deadly. It’s toxic, but could be very sexy too, in that really dark way, which makes the best music. That song, when you’re feeling like you’re drowning in something and you can’t escape it, that’s what I love. I feel like that was really captured, and that’s why I wanted to keep so much distortion on it – to make it feel so heady at the same time as pure.”

“Stroke” is an emotional deep dive ­– something to which Banks is no stranger – but as evidence from its name it’s also thrillingly sexually explicit.

“Sometimes I do that movement [like handjob] when I hear it and I’m like, what the hell!?” Banks laughs, miming a handjob. “That’s ****ing gross! But that’s what it is – kind of graphic!”

FULL INTERVIEW: https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/longread/banks-empress-of-empathy-interview

5 hours ago, Brunette Ambition said:

is someone going to collogne?

why is her meet and greet 200€? :rip:

After some contemplating, because of so many other acts also touring in November, I decided to buy a ticket now. :gaycat4:

18 minutes ago, FlyOnTheWall said:

After some contemplating, because of so many other acts also touring in November, I decided to buy a ticket now. :gaycat4:

Perhaps we can go together ? I think I really wanna see her :rip: 

This is probably going to be AOTY. I can't wait. 

14 minutes ago, Brunette Ambition said:

Perhaps we can go together ? I think I really wanna see her :rip: 

Sure, I wouldn't mind. Don't think any of my friends really know or wanna see her anyway, so better than waiting in the queue alone and lost.

BANKS album review and lyrics coming

5 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

BANKS album review and lyrics coming

Please don’t give too much away! I have to keep checking back here to see for any interesting updates but the last time you spilt tea you shared lyrics that would of SNATCHED me on first listen had I not known they were coming 

3 minutes ago, Joesuxx said:

Please don’t give too much away! I have to keep checking back here to see for any interesting updates but the last time you spilt tea you shared lyrics that would of SNATCHED me on first listen had I not known they were coming 

Fair point, I'll use spoiler tags

25 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

Fair point, I'll use spoiler tags

Thank you sis