Jump to content
Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Are Ariana's latest hits "meme'd" hits?

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I've seen that word used when referred to Ariana a lot lately. I would like to ask ATRL what does it mean for a pop girl hit to be "meme'd" and are Ariana's hits TUN and 7R meme hits?

 

tumblr_inline_nfmjprHZpp1sdcm15.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"thank u next" is become a new common expression like "girls just want to have fun" :jonny5:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so what if they're meme hits? they're still hits

DmsWeOPU8AIYq7-.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

impact ≠ meme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it means they are used a lot in memes, the way they are trying to make it seem like a bad thing though :fan:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 2019. Any hit song, film, show, etc will become "memed" on social media. It's just a new inventive way caterpillar lookin bitches discredit successful pop acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really memes.

 

They were very "quote-able" tho. 7 Rings is just insta caption after insta caption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank u next, maybe but 7 rings and buwygf were just organic hits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if they were? Y’all do know memes indicate impact and the fact that they’re gigantic hits makes it 10x better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It means nothing. There is no meaningful distinction between a “meme’d” hit and a “non-meme’d” hit.

 

Seems like a weak attempt at discrediting her since not-a-main-pop-girl/no-solo-hits clearly don’t work anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re bored aren’t you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roman Holiday said:

It's 2019. Any hit song, film, show, etc will become "memed" on social media. It's just a new inventive way caterpillar lookin bitches discredit successful pop acts.

 

39 minutes ago, Bogmire said:

It means nothing. There is no meaningful distinction between a “meme’d” hit and a “non-meme’d” hit.

 

Seems like a weak attempt at discrediting her since not-a-main-pop-girl/no-solo-hits clearly don’t work anymore.

 

1 hour ago, Bencharmer said:

"thank u next" is become a new common expression like "girls just want to have fun" :jonny5:

All of these :clap3: She has UNDENIABLE impact on the culture and social media, and people who stan dinosaurs/nobodies on here are just mad :foxaylove2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnikaSlays said:

impact ≠ meme

:cm:

 

We should celebrate when our faves’ music makes a mark, not everybody has that to their credit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bencharmer said:

"thank u next" is become a new common expression like "girls just want to have fun" :jonny5:

Tea!

 

Meme hit has become an insult for people who refuse to move on and are stuck in 2009, but in the real world she’s got memorable quotes and hits that will be associated with her and remembered in years to come 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank U Next just happened to become a meme but I feel that 7 Rings and BUWYG were written deliberately for memes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skiddo said:

Thank U Next just happened to become a meme but I feel that 7 Rings and BUWYG were written deliberately for memes

yeah I gotta agree with you on that. Especially that BUWYG, it's so obvious it was written for that reason and there's nothing wrong with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Only "thank you, next" really took off as a meme, but it also became more than that 

 

BUWYGF is like a catchy instagram caption, but not really a meme

 

Regardless, there's nothing wrong about making a song that's marketable to the masses, that's kinda the point of pop music. The fact that content from a song can be converted into a meme doesn't take away from the quality of the song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rotunda said:

Only "thank you, next" really took off as a meme, but it also became more than that 

 

BUWYGF is like a catchy instagram caption, but not really a meme

 

Regardless, there's nothing wrong about making a song that's marketable to the masses, that's kinda the point of pop music. The fact that content from a song can be converted into a meme doesn't take away from the quality of the song. 

and all the songs are **** so whats your point again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and it’s really embarrassing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memes are the new Grammys :clap3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A hit is a hit! 

 

2 hours ago, Rei said:

Yes and it’s really embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as Ms. Swift trying to get a meme hit and flopping into oblivion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop music are meant to be memes. They are meant to be omnipresent in pop culture and everyday lives. The way people act as if its a bad thing. Its much better being a meme than being a desperate flop tryhard meme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mezter said:

A hit is a hit! 

 

Not as embarrassing as Ms. Swift trying to get a meme hit and flopping into oblivion 

LASHINGS :ahh::deadbanana2: It also failed to go #1 by the way unlike 7 rings and TUN

2 minutes ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Pop music are meant to be memes. They are meant to be omnipresent in pop culture and everyday lives. The way people act as if its a bad thing. Its much better being a meme than being a desperate flop tryhard meme.

:cm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rei said:

Yes and it’s really embarrassing.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only that hoe Rey calls them "memes", they are impactful hits that spent FIFTEEN weeks at #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites