Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Headscarf ban: Austria primary schools

83 posts in this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/16/austria-approves-headscarf-ban-in-primary-schools

Austrian MPs on Wednesday approved a law aimed at banning the headscarf in primary schools, a measure proposed by the ruling right-wing government.

The text refers to any “ideologically or religiously influenced clothing which is associated with the covering of the head”.

Representatives of both parts of the governing coalition, the centre-right People’s Party (OeVP) and the far-right Freedom Party (FPOe), have made it clear that despite its wide description, the law is targeted at the Islamic headscarf.

The government said the patka head covering worn by Sikh boys and the Jewish kippa would not be affected.

Austria’s official Muslim community organisation IGGOe has previously condemned the proposals as “shameless” and a “diversionary tactic”. It says that in any case only a “minuscule number” of girls would be affected.

Opposition MPs almost all voted against the measure, with some accusing the government of focusing on garnering positive headlines rather than child welfare.

The government admits that the law is likely to be challenged at Austria’s constitutional court, either on grounds of religious discrimination or because similar legislation affecting schools is normally passed with a two-thirds majority of MPs.

The OeVP and FPOe formed a coalition in late 2017 after elections in which both parties took a tough anti-immigration stance and warned of the dangers of so-called “parallel societies”.

An Austrian ban on full-face coverings introduced in 2017 as part of an “integration” policy aimed at limiting the visibility of orthodox Islam in public life was criticised by police after it emerged that the law mainly resulted in the issuing of warnings against people wearing smog masks, skiing gear and animal costumes.

Denmark enacted a ban on the wearing of face veils in public in 2018, joining France and other EU countries. Belgium, the Netherlands, Bulgaria and the German state of Bavaria, have all imposed curbs on the wearing of face veils in public.

Good :clap3: hijab represents female opression and has no place in the civilized world.

Finally :clap3:

streaming Aura.mp3 as we speak :clap3:

So only Islamic head covering is banned while all other religious headscarves are not?

What :eek: I almost lost hope to humanity. I guess IslamTRL lost :cm::clap3:

13 minutes ago, fabbriche said:

So only Islamic head covering is banned while all other religious headscarves are not?

Yes, it is primarily more about orchestrating moral policing of women more than the Sikh/Jewish head garments.

however, they should do more research into guarding away from other religious expressions. Other religions have other issues in their cloth, like Sikh knives. But I doubt those are allowed in primary schools.

Whew a MOVE! :heart2: 

5 minutes ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

Yes, it is primarily more about orchestrating moral policing of women more than the Sikh/Jewish head garments.

Im an atheist and i have to disagree. The headscarf is not mandatory. It’s just presentation, dress code. Men are also supposed to wear headpieces (hats, turbans etc...) And most of them do.

Now there are some countries that are crazy about these rules and that has nothing to do

with Islam. So you’re very wrong. One bad country does not represent an entire religion.

You would think these European countries would be more concerned with the mass poverty ravishing their countries and rise of neo-nazism amongst their youths, not policing a micro-minority. :skull:

1 minute ago, Blue Rose said:

Im an atheist and i have to disagree. The headscarf is not mandatory. It’s just presentation, dress code. Men are also supposed to wear headpieces (hats, turbans etc...) And most of them do.

Now there are some countries that are crazy about these rules and that has nothing to do

with Islam. So you’re very wrong. One bad country does not represent an entire religion.

Wrong, they are mandatory in certain countries and governed regions, those wingback Saudi Arabia and Iran, as well as regions of Indonesia. 

You up know what ‘modest dressing’ is right, that is the logic behind the compulsive dressing in Saudi Arabia. It is focused more so on curbing sexual desire from men & submitting oneself completely to ‘God.’ Yes, there are ‘other reasons’ like newer, post modern ideas of ‘rejecting western beauty..’ (?) but these do not dismiss the female islamic responsibility of dressing modestly/sexuality.

Just read about feminist activists being arrested in Iran for taking their head scarf off. You dont think counties like Austria notice these global issues?

They literally are using the head scarf as a weapon of protest, by removing it, in Iran where it is compulsory. Trying to deny the very real oppression attached to the garment is wrong. 

4 minutes ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

Wrong, they are mandatory in certain countries and governed regions, those wingback Saudi Arabia and Iran, as well as regions of Indonesia. 

You up know what ‘modest dressing’ is right, that is the logic behind the compulsive dressing in Saudi Arabia. It is focused more so on curbing sexual desire from men & submitting oneself completely to ‘God.’ Yes, there are ‘other reasons’ like newer, post modern ideas of ‘rejecting western beauty..’ (?) but these do not dismiss the female islamic responsibility of dressing modestly/sexuality.

Just read about feminist activists being arrested in Iran for taking their head scarf off. You dont think counties like Austria notice these global issues?

They literally are using the head scarf as a weapon of protest, by removing it, in Iran where it is compulsory. Trying to deny the very real oppression attached to the garment is wrong. 

Im not wrong because you’re just elaborating on something i said in my post. Some countries are crazy but that does not represent Islam (an entire religion) 

Austria banning headscarves will not do anything to help the brave women protesting in Iran. Their only motivation is because they are anti-islam and they justify their actions by making gross generalizations. 

Im not wrong because you’re just elaborating on something i said in my post. Some countries are crazy but that does not represent Islam (an entire religion) 

Austria banning headscarves will not do anything to help the brave women protesting in Iran. Their only motivation is because they are anti-islam and they justify their actions by making gross generalizations. 

Yes, there are just ‘some countries where they take things a little too extreme! haha.’ yeah.. like submitting women to prison time for years, involving literal torture. As well as being detained & man-handled in public. 

These countries spawn serious misogynistic backgrounds via their belief. It almost sounded like you tried to dismiss the ability of these countries to enforce their misogyny based off Islamic tradition.

I think having larger discussions about these types of realities is always good, especially when people try to deny these things even happen/have meaning. Yes, Islamic head dress in a majority of countries is not enforced and is cultural, but that does not exclude the grey area of discussion between religion and oppression. 

26 minutes ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

Wrong, they are mandatory in certain countries and governed regions

None of which includes Austria, no?

8 minutes ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

Yes, there are just ‘some countries where they take things a little too extreme! haha.’ yeah.. like submitting women to prison time for years, involving literal torture. As well as being detained & man-handled in public. 

These countries spawn serious misogynistic backgrounds via their belief. It almost sounded like you tried to dismiss the ability of these countries to enforce their misogyny based off Islamic tradition.

I think having larger discussions about these types of realities is always good, especially when people try to deny these things even happen/have meaning. Yes, Islamic head dress in a majority of countries is not enforced and is cultural, but that does not exclude the grey area of discussion between religion and oppression. 

Agree with your post. But how is this headscarf ban in Austria going to change any of that? As if Christianity doesn't have countless misogynistic rules as well :skull: 

This law is based on hatred, nothing else. Maybe some girls who didnt want to wear a hijab will be happy about it but from my experience living in North America and being around muslims, most of the women wear it by choice. Austria is a developed country so muslim women there are very likely empowered as well. This just takes away their choice.

Agree with your post. But how is this headscarf ban in Austria going to change any of that? As if Christianity doesn't have countless misogynistic rules as well :skull: 

This law is based on hatred, nothing else. Maybe some girls who didnt want to wear a hijab will be happy about it but from my experience living in North America and being around muslims, most of the women wear it by choice. Austria is a developed country so muslim women there are very likely empowered as well. This just takes away their choice.

Look, Austria is clearly making a national statement about their institutions and compulsory head modesty. It could be interpreted as a statement against the imprisonments of feminists activists removing their hijabs & being imprisoned in Iran. Is this problematic? 

6 minutes ago, Communion said:

None of which includes Austria, no?

Correct... hijabs were never compulsory in Austria. Do you wish them to be? :rip: I am confused. Religious freedom is good, but countries have the right to dictate things involving identification/head covering. That is why a number have them have taken action. They may have more ideological dismay towards Islam, which I guess can be up for observation, but a country can dictate identification/head covering rules.

20 minutes ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

Look, Austria is clearly making a national statement about their institutions and compulsory head modesty. It could be interpreted as a statement against the imprisonments of feminists activists removing their hijabs & being imprisoned in Iran. Is this problematic? 

Correct... hijabs were never compulsory in Austria. Do you wish them to be? :rip: I am confused. Religious freedom is good, but countries have the right to dictate things involving identification/head covering. That is why a number have them have taken action. They may have more ideological dismay towards Islam, which I guess can be up for observation, but a country can dictate identification/head covering rules.

I see your point but the law is still very unfair to the muslim community in Austria. This ban is just extreme policing that only targets one group. It’s legalized discrimination. 

Austria should still give the choice to the women who want to wear a hijab. If they genuinely cared, they would’ve set up anonymous helplines and provide protection to the very few women (if any) in Austria who are being forced to wear one.

Lastly, a law like this only encourages extremists to do something terrible and they use these laws to recruit young kids. 

31 minutes ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

Correct... hijabs were never compulsory in Austria. 

Yes, so framing hijabs are a symbol of oppression in Austria is a nonsensical fallacy because no one has ever been oppressed for not wearing one within Austria. You're assuming the intention of one's personal action and trying to censor a behavior based on an assumed intention. You assume that the women wearing it are probably forced from a cultural standpoint and so the scarf if still a symbol of misogyny, but that goes against the very principles of liberalism and individual freedom the people fuming over Muslims are claiming they're trying to protect.

You're complaining about one country or several as authoritarian for restricting the personal freedom of women while..... cheering on Austria for doing the same. 

I mean, I've never seen a girl younger than...13 wear a headscarf in a Western country anyway

3 hours ago, lilMonsterKayla said:

The text refers to any “ideologically or religiously influenced clothing which is associated with the covering of the head”.

I would agree if this applied to everything, not just head. Children should not be indoctrinated in any form of religious cult or have business with political brainwashing from that young age.

I can get the logic behind the face-covering ban but a head-scarf ban that is clearly used to single out muslims is completely unnecessary.

Austria's government has always been trash. I'm not surprised that this is what they're wasting their time on.

10 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Austria's government has always been trash. I'm not surprised that this is what they're wasting their time on.

They currently sit at #12 of the happiest countries in the entire world - many places above the UK and USA. The government are clearly doing something right. :michael:

3 minutes ago, BlackStar_93 said:

They currently sit at #12 of the happiest countries in the entire world - many places above the UK and USA. The government are clearly doing something right. :michael:

Consider the source. If people are happy with discrimination and the actions of the government, what does that tell us? Happiness =/= good.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0