Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Is bad grammar a turn off for you?

26 posts in this topic

It depends. If it's clear the person is using it colloquially or just writes/types lazily, no, but I cringe when it's clear a person simply doesn't know any better. Especially when it comes to extremely simple things like first language English speakers not being able to differentiate your/you're, it's/ its, their/they're/there, worse/worst and so on. 

1 minute ago, Ascension said:

It depends. If it's clear the person is using it colloquially or just writes/types lazily, no, but I cringe when it's clear a person simply doesn't know any better. Especially when it comes to extremely simple things like first language English speakers not being able to differentiate your/you're, it's/ its, their/they're/there, worse/worst and so on. 

Period.

Posted (edited)

Yes. So is ghetto talk

Actually, there are some people who are so pretentious in how they speak. The way they try to speak all scholarly. Just ew

depends, I speak very formally irl but i find formal speech over text to be a turn off

if you end your texts with periods i will feel ATTACKED

Yes, a major one. Whenever I see multiple spelling mistakes and incorrect punctuation, I just think.... Republican. 

18 minutes ago, Ascension said:

Yes, inexcusable. 

20 minutes ago, Ascension said:

THIS TEA. it infuriates me like did you not how to use the words correctly? :skull:

Yes, for me it signifies good manners. I hate when people just abbreviate everything. I understand the message is probably the same, especially in text messages, but take the time to write it out somewhat decent. It’s just a downwards slop once u start typing like dis. 

Yes, of course.

I am sure you guys over here are into the "Your Grammar Su cks" series by Jacksfilms. 

It definitely can be, tbh. 

yeah, by this I don't mean Ariana Grande grammar which is clearly messy on purpose, but those who can't spell for their lives (your beautiful, alot!)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ascension said:

This. It's so simple, and embarrassing when people can't use them correctly

If English ain't their first language, not at all. 

7 hours ago, Ascension said:

Then and than are the most often misused :skull:

OT: If it is your first language, it's a major turn off; if not, then not really.

Absof***inglutely :alexz2:

Posted (edited)

If it's not intentional then yes (when it comes to the first language)

No, as long as the message gets through I’m okay with it. I mean that’s the point of ‘language’, communication. 

12 hours ago, Ascension said:

All of this. Also loose/lose for whatever reason :rip:

A lot of your turn offs are due to autocorrect :rip: 

your/youre, it’s/its, their/there etc... are mistakes that became common recently due to our stupid iPhones. 

God knows this has happened to me countless times :skull: 

12 hours ago, Ascension said:

people who say could of instead of could have too :skull:

15 hours ago, Ascension said:

end thread

Yes, no I don't mean short words, I mean people willingly writing: abía, estubo, que honda, etc no ma'am. This is goodbye.

Absolutely