Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do you feel pressure to represent the LGBT community?

10 posts in this topic

So with all the James Charles drama, a lot of people have talked about how he makes others gays look bad and thirsty. Whilst James is deffo trash and deserves to be cancelled, it seems unfair on both him and the community that his actions should represent all LGBT people (or at least gay men). However, when I think about it, I often feel pressure to represent a positive image of the LGBT community even though I know I shouldn’t.

Does anyone else feel this pressure or have any thoughts on the topic? Please share.

I'm me. I can only represent myself. If other people decide to judge me for what they think and/or see about the LGBT community and their prejudices and preconceived notions that's their problem. But I can see where the pressure comes from, because in reality there is virtually NO education about the LGBT community and if it's not us talking about it and educating people, no one will. It's a tricky situation.

No. Honestly, the best way that people can represent the LGBT community is to just be themselves so that straight people can see we're human beings with personalities and interests that vary just as much as theirs. The people that judge LGBT people as a whole based on the actions of James Charles or any other LGBT individual aren't worthy of your time. They already have their own issues to sort out within themselves. 

I don't know if it's possible, but I think we should stop thinking about representation in terms of groups. Groups are grouped on a single element and are diverse in all other elements, which is why not just one person can represent the whole group. They will share the same element, but will differ in other elements. Like how James Charles being gay ties him to the gay-community, but that doesn't mean he inherently shares other elements with people in the gay-community, like his personality (although of course some influence of nurture could always be argued for).

I think if we'd want to speak in terms of representation, we should talk in terms of goals. I don't want to represent the LGBTQ-community, I don't feel like it's my job to stand up for this diverse group of people. I do feel the need to represent some goals: being a good person, spreading love and happiness, living life as happy as possible. This also includes the way I see (my) sexuality and my hopes for the world to perceive sexuality. It's not the people I feel I need to represent, but the goals. These goals can be shared by anyone, also by people not owning the quality that the goal is about. There's no need to divide people by their features, it doesn't define them. It is helpful tho to divide people by their goal, cause knowing people's goals is what's so damn important in creating a working society.

Sometimes.

I just don’t really understand why everyone is so up in arms about James Charles. And the opinion pieces by people relating this to sexual harassment, I understand. But he didn’t sexually assault anybody, he wasn’t saying anything derogatory in the screenshots we’ve seen. Yes, he’s being hella thirsty and arrogant but there’s a lot of petty gays who list after straight boys and then act like that when they don’t get their way. It’s not even just a gay thing, or a gender thing. There’s just a lot of people in society who go about hitting on people in ways that are predatory and entitled.

People really just need to get lives. I’ve seen several memes insinuating that they don’t even care about James and never have, and are just bandwagoning the hate train and meme parade for the sake of it. Something is seriously wrong with Americans and the way that they use and interact on social media, especially in the face of scandals like this.

At the end of the day this is just propelling James’ celebrity status. From now on, all of the blogs are going to report on every single thing he says and does. After all, America LOVES to hate, but simultaneously complains when they have to constantly hear about it by the media. 

No because one person doesn't represent the community. Ya he has the platform and tainted us just like Justin Smollet, but we need to stop caring what other people think of us.   Are we all gay and thirsty? Are all lesbian butch? Do we all have AIDS/HIV?  Those are stupid stereotypes made by straights to literally classify us.  Just be yourself and that is the best representation you can be.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0