Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Katy Perry - “Never Really Over”

198 posts in this topic

if this is in fact its title I can see the lyrics being something along the lines of “we’re never really over”, aka a relationship kind of song. not the way people are interpreting it.

2 hours ago, Joyride said:

if this is in fact its title I can see the lyrics being something along the lines of “we’re never really over”, aka a relationship kind of song. not the way people are interpreting it.

"Don't Forget About Us" teas.

5 hours ago, Joyride said:

maybe a song about her and orlando since they had an on-again, off-again relationship :eek: 

Pls. let Dr. Luke be the producer Katy :cries:

1 hour ago, Fred Perry said:

yeah right, that'd be the final nail

20 hours ago, G.U.Y_del_Rey said:

Another song like Walking on Air would be amazing :jonny:

Here for it!

23 hours ago, Cain said:

Whew her ‘I’m Not Dead’ is here.

:jonny5: we need another The One That Got Away

people who think this will tank don't have an understanding of the music industry... radio stations have confirmed that they're ALREADY aware of the track and its release... meaning a radio deal is in place. it's going to do well.

22 hours ago, rac7d said:

its jsut gonna get blockedd by OTR

d this ain't debuting at #2. She's not on Taylor's/Ed's/Bieber's/even Shawn's level of popularity/fanbase support. She never really was honestly. All of her biggest hits were fuelled by radio and GP-interest, her core fanbase has never been huge huge. I'd say even Halsey's current fanbase is greater than peak Katy's.

4 hours ago, literallyalex said:

people who think this will tank don't have an understanding of the music industry... radio stations have confirmed that they're ALREADY aware of the track and its release... meaning a radio deal is in place. it's going to do well.

A radio deal doesn't guarantee a hit though. It might generate a lot of airplay points (causing it to chart prematurely like Roar and ME!) but whether or not that will translate into success on streaming platforms (what matters most in 2019) or even digital sales (far less important, but Katy hasn't topped iTunes since 2016, so topping it would undoubtedly be a good sign for her) is the true test.

Chained to the Rhythm was over 2 years ago and her star and popularity was far greater then than it is now. Her career has only gone down since Feb 2017 and she's had a couple ups but nothing major to restore her to pre-Witness level of public interest. Her latest collabs missed Top 80 and Top 30 respectively, and while Con Calma is still building, it's definitely not the kind of huge pre-era smash I'm sure Capitol were hoping for before launching KP5.

If it really is coming this month, there has to be a reason. It's a summer song and they're confident in it (but my faith in Capitol these days is next to none) or someone BIG is coming soon and they know that and want to avoid that (Adele? Ed? Taylor if she gets her loose ends tied up?)

32 minutes ago, Aurora said:

d this ain't debuting at #2. She's not on Taylor's/Ed's/Bieber's/even Shawn's level of popularity/fanbase support. She never really was honestly. All of her biggest hits were fuelled by radio and GP-interest, her core fanbase has never been huge huge. I'd say even Halsey's current fanbase is greater than peak Katy's.

A radio deal doesn't guarantee a hit though. It might generate a lot of airplay points (causing it to chart prematurely like Roar and ME!) but whether or not that will translate into success on streaming platforms (what matters most in 2019) or even digital sales (far less important, but Katy hasn't topped iTunes since 2016, so topping it would undoubtedly be a good sign for her) is the true test.

Chained to the Rhythm was over 2 years ago and her star and popularity was far greater then than it is now. Her career has only gone down since Feb 2017 and she's had a couple ups but nothing major to restore her to pre-Witness level of public interest. Her latest collabs missed Top 80 and Top 30 respectively, and while Con Calma is still building, it's definitely not the kind of huge pre-era smash I'm sure Capitol were hoping for before launching KP5.

If it really is coming this month, there has to be a reason. It's a summer song and they're confident in it (but my faith in Capitol these days is next to none) or someone BIG is coming soon and they know that and want to avoid that (Adele? Ed? Taylor if she gets her loose ends tied up?)

the power of a bad haircut

i didnt realize her career was over

3 minutes ago, rac7d said:

the power of a bad haircut

i didnt realize her career was over

I didn't realise I wrote so much until after I posted that but seeing it now... welp. :skull:

But yeah there's no denying the HAIR + the POLITICS + the ATTITUDE were the three killers of Katy's rep. Any one of them standalone may have been enough to survive, but together they were the ultimate force of self sabotage.

10 hours ago, Fred Perry said:

Luke sound is dead. 

Even before he stopped working with people, his last hit was Dark Horse. You want Katy to release flops like Kim Petras? :rip: 

Max tries to emulated Luke's sound with Katy, but that sound is dead. She needs to work with more current trends, and ditch that 2012 sound for good. 

Max is the kind of producer who basically emulates what else he's hearing for a body of work. We've seen that with all his high profile acts. 

Witness was no doubt built from Luke demos as it was only taboo to work with him in 2016 and I'm sure Witness was being worked on in 2015 if leaks started early 2016. 

She needs to work with producers like Oscar Görres and Louis Bell. They're huge on what is on trend, while giving room for Katy to be herself. 

Let's hope this hits at least Top 20 and she has a black weave! 

Image result for katy perry wig gif atrl

Posted (edited)

I really don’t know what to expect, but I hope she changes it up this era. Witness (and even the underperformances of some Prism singles) proved that the GP isn’t really here for her previous sound/image. I want to hear a totally different sound and see a totally different image. I’m not saying she shouldn’t release pop music (or at least have some pop influences), because she still needs those catchy tunes for radio hits. However, there’s a huge misconception that catchy means generic/bland/basic pop. 

Look at Billie Eilish. I know Katy and Billie are completely different artists at different stages of their careers, but look at how pop radio is eating up Billie’s music. Her music is a bit creepy, weird, edgy, and different, but it still has those pop elements and mass appeal. I would like to see Katy experiment and evolve more is basically what I’m saying. 

22 minutes ago, CriticalHit said:

I really don’t know what to expect, but I hope she changes it up this era. Witness (and even the underperformances of some Prism singles) proved that the GP isn’t really here for her previous sound/image. I want to hear a totally different sound and see a totally different image. I’m not saying she shouldn’t release pop music (or at least have some pop influences), because she still needs those catchy tunes for radio hits. However, there’s a huge misconception that catchy means generic/bland/basic pop. 

Look at Billie Eilish. I know Katy and Billie are completely different artists at different stages of their careers, but look at how pop radio is eating up Billie’s music. Her music is a bit creepy, weird, edgy, and different, but it still has those pop elements and mass appeal. I would like to see Katy experiment and evolve more is basically what I’m saying. 

Bad Guy's performance on radio is kind of like Shallow's. It's not the kind of music radio DJs think their listeners want and they kind of had to be shamed into playing it after it started smashing on all other metrics. I do agree that there's more than just basic pop that benefits from catchiness and strong hooks though, the principles that make songs in other subgenres of pop or other genres entirely are quite similar imo.

If this is false information, Moderators should ban users that spread fake news

Never Really Over will tank, bookmark me :)

If she doesn’t have a wig on, it’ll flop

Why doesn’t a katy lead thread doesn’t have a bunch of replies, i’m shocked

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Why doesn’t a katy lead thread doesn’t have a bunch of replies, i’m shocked

because her career is over and even her own fans (or whatever is left of them) know it 

9KARmOr.gif

It's great that Katy's releasing more often.

I can imagine the lyrics being like...

"I thought my feelings for you
Would end on that one night we had
But it looks like it's never really over
Cause I'm wanting more and more on you"

It’ll slay 

13 minutes ago, aesthetic bih said:

It's great that Katy's releasing more often.

I can imagine the lyrics being like...

"I thought my feelings for you
Would end on that one night we had
But it looks like it's never really over
Cause I'm wanting more and more on you"

sounds like teenage dream 2.0 and i’m here for it :weeps:

On 5/17/2019 at 4:08 AM, gloamingtheplain said:

Luke sound is dead. 

Even before he stopped working with people, his last hit was Dark Horse. You want Katy to release flops like Kim Petras? :rip: 

If Katy released Kim's songs, they would be hits. Let's not. Kim's songs didn't blow up only because she is not a name and doesn't have industry support