Bigger year for Mariah 1990 or 2005

7 posts in this topic

Mariah snatched bags in both years but which was bigger for her? 05 or 91

In 2005 she released the biggest song of the 00s, and - compared to other albums released at the time - I think The Emancipation of Mimi sold better in the climate. It's one of like 11/12 albums released from 2005-onwards to sell 5M+ copies in the US (it sold 6M).

Also, it's much more impressive to achieve all of this 15 years into your career.

Most people peak with their debut albums, so its success is less impressive.

WW: 1994

"Hero", "Without You" and "All I Want for Christmas Is You" are all some of her biggest WW hits ever. Music Box is also her biggest-selling release, if I remember correctly, and Merry Christmas (also released that year) is one of the biggest Christmas albums ever.

US: 2005

"It's Like That" rolled out the red carpet, "We Belong Together" made sure she was the main event, "Shake It Off" was huge but was always still blocked by Mariah herself and she ended the year with another #1, "Don't Forget About Us", while "All I Want for Christmas Is You" had probably its best holiday season up to that point. And all that happened all of a sudden, when lots of people didn't even think she had 'it' anymore. Girl worked hard to prove them all wrong and had one of the most iconic comeback stories ever. She did THAT.

mNfMrsE.gif

1990 she only had two songs chart

both number ones

song of da decade

another number one

a number two

and da song at started her comeback Top 20 hit

I was going to say 2005 because of the comeback but realized without 1990, there'd be no 2005 for her.

2005. She was top in acclaim, success, awards and just all around resurgence from the floppage years. 

2005 easily.

05dyl9l.gif