Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Will Ariana ever have that ULTRA HIT that lasts forever?

57 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bookmark99 said:

The problem with Ariana is that she is talented but chooses to put out music like 7 Rings that will sound dated and cringeworthy within ten years. She needs something like Mariah's "Hero", a mature classic hit that she can still sing (without embarrassment) when she's older. Unless she gets more serious about her music output in the future she will just be another passing fad for the younger generation like Katy Perry. 

:cm:

She has the star power to make an ultra hit but she's wasting it on trend-hopping. It also doesn't help that she's not one to break the mold.

No.

She went the meme route and those are never meant to last, TUN is already forgotten and 7R will be too.

Also @Josh just add Shake It Off to the OP instead of Blank Space / Delicate lmao. It spent 20+ to 24/25 weeks in the top 10 of most of the biggest markets (US, AU, CA, NZ, and on the UWC) as well as having having longevity in European countries despite the Spotify mess so it actually fits the criteria more than those tracks :eli: 

1 minute ago, Holiest Dreams said:

Also @Josh just add Shake It Off to the OP instead of Blank Space / Delicate lmao. It spent 20+ to 24/25 weeks in the top 10 of most of the biggest markets (US, AU, CA, NZ, and on the UWC) as well as having having longevity in European countries despite the Spotify mess so it actually fits the criteria more than those tracks :eli: 

Can I add You Belong with me as well? it's a Taylor classic

Never, she’s good for now 

Thank U next is probably hers

I will say that these types of songs don't really exist anymore.

24 minutes ago, tylerrcrush said:

Imagine thinking Delicate was a forever hit but thank u next isn't :rip:

The obvious flamebait of this thread :deadbanana4:

TUN and 7R will be those hits. They got suffocated by very quick back-to-back single releases which is why their chart runs are only half a year. 

I still hear Bang Bang and Side to Side on the radio sometimes as well. NTLTC will probably get good recurrent airplay as it was such a radio hit.

You guys are so out of touch it’s almost like a parody :rip:

She already has her own AIWFC

1 hour ago, Josh said:

But they aren't remembered like the ones ive listed. Who remembers Problem in 2019

problem is still massive

One last time and thank u next are her massive hits and they are most certainly bigger than delicate 

Songs that stand the test of time are typically ballads, anthems, or songs that define a moment.

Ariana doesn’t really “do” ballads (she has them, but they aren’t a focal point of her discography), and I don’t think her biggest hits are anthemic in nature, it’s too early to tell whether her current material will end up defining this moment. 

42 minutes ago, ToxicParadise said:

She already has her own AIWFC

She really snapped with this and True Love :jonny5:

For anyone said Blank Space forgotten

Ddd

The song just surpassed 200 million streams in Spotify after 2 years of availability and it has been absent for 3 years previously

It is far from forgotten and probably as remembered as Shake It Off and Love Story

OT : I think it's 7 Rings ! It will surpass 1B streams by the year end and you all can bookmark me.

The other song, surprisingly, maybe Side to Side. I still heard it a lot on radio

tu,n is cute hit, but I think no one listened it anymore, 7 rings is about to catch its numbers soon too, but the words are still used frequently. Still a big achievement in making impact on society

No Tears Left To Cry is the best song of last year :jamming:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scarface said:

Those songs are forgotten :skull:

Delicate and Blank Space both get over 400K streams daily on Spotify alone (even before any ME! effect) :skull:

Blank Space actually outdoes Shake It Off in daily streams and has accelerated to be a front runner in her catalog 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, thinking said:

Delicate and Blank Space both get over 400K streams daily on Spotify alone (even before any ME! effect) :skull:

Blank Space also gets 400k daily views on YouTube. 

It is definitely a remembered “ultra” hit 

we can't really designate which songs will be her legacy quite yet, but "thank u, next" and "problem" are classic ariana

Isn’t bang bang? I hear that song all the time  on radio, tv, Asian tv, etc....

2 hours ago, Bookmark99 said:

The problem with Ariana is that she is talented but chooses to put out music like 7 Rings that will sound dated and cringeworthy within ten years. She needs something like Mariah's "Hero", a mature classic hit that she can still sing (without embarrassment) when she's older. Unless she gets more serious about her music output in the future she will just be another passing fad for the younger generation like Katy Perry. 

agreed. i still stand by my opinion that she should have just expanded the doo-wop-R&B-hip hop hybrid sound from YT.

49 minutes ago, Safe&Sound said:

For anyone said Blank Space forgotten

Ddd

The song just surpassed 200 million streams in Spotify after 2 years of availability and it has been absent for 3 years previously

It is far from forgotten and probably as remembered as Shake It Off and Love Story

OT : I think it's 7 Rings ! It will surpass 1B streams by the year end and you all can bookmark me.

The other song, surprisingly, maybe Side to Side. I still heard it a lot on radio

tu,n is cute hit, but I think no one listened it anymore, 7 rings is about to catch its numbers soon too, but the words are still used frequently. Still a big achievement in making impact on society

3 minutes ago, mcohen said:

Blank Space also gets 400k daily views on YouTube. 

It is definitely a remembered “ultra” hit 

Anyone who thinks Blank Space is forgotten is absolutely delusional. Delicate, on the other hand, is not even on something like GIAW's level in terms of remembered-ness (idk), it was mostly just supported by radio (I'm saying this is a fan).

I think the reason Side to Side is becoming such a remembered hit for her is because the video was gargantuan + it was one of her biggest airplay hits, I think it spent like 5 weeks atop Pop Radio, which is the reason for its recurrent airplay.

Also, (not shading you) TUN is still in the top 50 of Streaming Songs, which shows it is still listened to. The catchphrase is still very present so I think that will make it her biggest classic (even if 7R outstreams).

Into You and Side to Side are her hits

2 hours ago, Bookmark99 said:

This is really the long and short of it.

There are kids born in the 00s so annoyed with the basic, come-and-go singles of today they've gone back to listening to songs from decades earlier. Why do you think that is?

Celine, Whitney and Mariah in their early 20s put out mature classics that stand the test of time because any age demographic, race and gender could listen to the songs without feeling embarrassed (well, het men have their fragile masculinity so maybe they wouldn't admit they listen to Celine Dion but...). These were adult hits and hits that even younger folk could get behind. They were talent and their music was critically acclaimed enough that they could sing it years after when they were older. Same thing for the Arethas and Pattis.

Ariana is putting out kidzbopz songs for the sluttee instamodel crowd. And while kids under 21 might bop now, these songs will be embarrassing to listen to in a few years and even more embarrassing for Ariana to perform when she hits 30, which will only be about 4 years from now. The image of a lolita bratz doll in K-pop glam wear writhing on a pink car is embarrassing as hell even now, let alone 5 years from now. The stuff she gets away with now she won't when she's considered 'old' and unless she can properly transition her image and sound in preparation for her future she's going to be thrown out the second she turns 30. Same thing happened to Katy. Miley is also struggling to get things more serious.

A lot of pop stars of that era are struggling for the exact reason that they chased after the twitter stan insta-obsessed crowd. Short sighted thinking.

« Loud era » it’s not because ATRL overrates this album that it means it fits the criterias, this era probably has Rihanna’s least remembered hits

OT: She has 7 Rings

2 hours ago, Rotunda said:

Songs that stand the test of time are typically ballads, anthems, or songs that define a moment.

Ariana doesn’t really “do” ballads (she has them, but they aren’t a focal point of her discography), and I don’t think her biggest hits are anthemic in nature, it’s too early to tell whether her current material will end up defining this moment. 

Which from a commercial standpoint, is odd for someone who is marketed as a vocalist... 

I feel like she probably needs a hit ballad at this juncture but who knows, time will be the ultimate truth teller.

4 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

Blank Space isn’t one but TUN/7R/STS/Problem that spent the same amount (7R less actually) of weeks in the top 10 and will spend way less on the charts are? The only reason Blank Space’s chart run doesn’t reflect its success is because it wasn’t on Spotify, but it had longevity on YT, Radio, and good recurrents on iTunes and still had a better chart run than all singles from Ariana you mentioned. SIO is a way better example then Blank Space though and idk how anyone can consider Delicate an ultra hit :rip: 

On the topic the OP asked: I actually think TUN is her’s. I mean it didn’t spend that long on the charts but huge hits come and go faster in 2018/19 so it is what it is. 7 rings has bigger stats but I feel it’ll be forgotten whereas TUN will re-overtake it and be THAT hit in her career. Kinda like SIO/BS where BS was looking to be bigger yet SIO stood the test of time better and ended up re-surpassing it.

When will you gays just give up, the GP has already decided, thank u, next was a fad and 7 rings outsold :dies: