I'd like more discreet cis gay men in the public eye

239 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, XXXO said:

I kinda agree. The overrepresentation of femme gays does no favours to the community, more like the opposite.

And I must say, masc gays help fight that stereotype of thirsty femme gay dying to suck straight dicks, the James Charles stereotype to be specific, which is quite prevalent whithin the community, unfortunately. Masc gays help normalize the whole movement and change peoples perception regarding the collective.

Did you shoot up meth before you typed this putrid garbage???? Femme gays, drag queens & other gender bending individuals risked imprisonment, assault, rape, mutilations, homelessness and much more in the early days of gay liberation and you really think clinging to your “manly” ways helps the movement?? What movement are you pioneering? Poppers and anonymous gang bangs? I MUST CACKLE. I’m so f*cking tired - y’all are so annoying :fish2:

So you like straight acting people?

We get it. So does most of the world. Congratulations...

“Discreet” is one of the most disgusting terms in the gay community.

I-.....you need to get over your own misogyny sweetie :biblio:

I am living for how these gays completely misunderstand the op ang get instantly offended... Suffer :bibliahh:

Become straight. 

The way the femme gays in this thread are so hateful toward masc gays is truly despicable :psyduck:

Being masculine does not mean being self-loathing :psyduck:

Neither is better than the other and both deserve representation. Although I will say the OP is poorly worded and masc gays have representation (Call Me By Your Name, Love Simon, etc.)

On 5/14/2019 at 6:22 AM, camerxn said:

Did you shoot up meth before you typed this putrid garbage???? Femme gays, drag queens & other gender bending individuals risked imprisonment, assault, rape, mutilations, homelessness and much more in the early days of gay liberation and you really think clinging to your “manly” ways helps the movement?? What movement are you pioneering? Poppers and anonymous gang bangs? I MUST CACKLE. I’m so f*cking tired - y’all are so annoying :fish2:

! And I can't at him saying that only fem gays try seduce straight men and JC being proof...

10 hours ago, CandleGuy said:

Love Simon

That movie was trailblazing because the main character was a gay emotionless zombie.:clap3:

@OP I understand where you are coming from, and as a fellow... non-femme gay, is it annoying that others assume my personality as if the gay stereotype is actually accurate (it’s not for a majority of gay men).  However, the most successful and represented gay men have traditionally been straight-passing or somewhat masculine.  We are fairly or overly-represented, and yet, people still think of gays as “queens” because that is what the GP chooses to see us as.  They watch Drag Race, they subscribe to Jeffrey Star and James Charles, etc.  These gay and non-gender conforming men are more interesting to the GP because they are a very small minority and play literal characters.  Who cares about Anderson Cooper’s love life?  No one.  

ofcurse stupid Atrl would blame him for homophobia or misogyny :ahh: 

the thread is true

There are plenty out there doing just that. Anderson Cooper is a big example. And literally whats wrong with queer or make up gays? They are still representing the community and as long as they don't **** up we should always claim them.

Not some fellow gays in here attacking another for wanting their own representation, the hypocrisy jumped out

OT: I agree, there should be more diversity in those that represent the gay community and I think it'd help a lot with the stereotypes all gay people face but sadly a lot of masculine gay men/bi men are closeted

17 hours ago, EthaneFenty said:

Not some fellow gays in here attacking another for wanting their own representation, the hypocrisy jumped out

OT: I agree, there should be more diversity in those that represent the gay community and I think it'd help a lot with the stereotypes all gay people face but sadly a lot of masculine gay men/bi men are closeted

...and that’s THEIR issue to handle themselves. I understand living environments, toxic family members and other situations are factors for them not coming out but what we’re not gonna do is act like it’s any simpler for feminine queer people to come out. There are actual morons out there who seriously believe the conspiracy theory that feminists & the LGBTQ community are orchestrating the feminization of men & the masculinization of women. It’s absurd.

The title of this thread is on some contradictory bullsh*t though lmao “discreet” in the “PUBLIC eye”?? Make it make sense :huh:

1 hour ago, camerxn said:

...and that’s THEIR issue to handle themselves. I understand living environments, toxic family members and other situations are factors for them not coming out but what we’re not gonna do is act like it’s any simpler for feminine queer people to come out.

This is dumb because plenty of gays would tell you that representation is what helped them come out.

4 hours ago, camerxn said:

...and that’s THEIR issue to handle themselves. I understand living environments, toxic family members and other situations are factors for them not coming out but what we’re not gonna do is act like it’s any simpler for feminine queer people to come out. There are actual morons out there who seriously believe the conspiracy theory that feminists & the LGBTQ community are orchestrating the feminization of men & the masculinization of women. It’s absurd.

The title of this thread is on some contradictory bullsh*t though lmao “discreet” in the “PUBLIC eye”?? Make it make sense :huh:

I didn’t say it was any easier for feminine guys to come out, I’m saying those that are masc tend to be in the closet more than those who are fem so it creates disproportionate representation because fem guys are mainly who are more outward and open about being gay (not that that’s their fault obv), I think the op is trying to say he wishes there were more masculine men out of the closet in the public eye as I agree

i mean, i will say it's kinda stupid that often when gay men do something stereotypically 'straight', other gays attack them for 'internalised homophobia'

or rather, i really don't like when 'fem' gays try and anchor their lives as the centre of the 'gay experience', and that divergence from this is somehow less genuine

On 5/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Buddy said:

Ok well even as a gay person I have yet to find someone who closely fits my characteristics and experiences in life, and if I'm going to be honest I would rather NOT have someone like that for others to make assumptions of me based on. Get to know individuals on your own instead of resorting to generalized comparative figures to connect the dots

well that would be the ideal world, but the whole society creates perceptions based on representativeness, it's how we function really

so it's very important for black ppl to see black ppl with education, power, in a leading position etc. so society in general can perceive them as capable of such, because for ages black ppl were represented by dumb white people's ideals of race.

I kinda get what you're saying, but it's pretty easy to identify why representativeness matters so much :frown:

It’s also up to bro’s like you to step up and go out and educate the rest and to show the world there’s people like you if you feel that you are underrepresented. But understandably a lot of bro-y gay dudes don’t feel the need to start something like this because sexuality isn’t what defines them and it’s only a small part of them. Start a YouTube if you feel there’s underrepresentation, I’m sure you will gain a following quickly. Also, I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of cis gay man in Hollywood, but they aren’t speaking out because they will obviously lose out on roles / business opportunities.

10 minutes ago, volition said:

i mean, i will say it's kinda stupid that often when gay men do something stereotypically 'straight', other gays attack them for 'internalised homophobia'

or rather, i really don't like when 'fem' gays try and anchor their lives as the centre of the 'gay experience', and that divergence from this is somehow less genuine

thank you. 

I think both sides are problematic... I kinda get what the OP is saying though. It would be nice to see all kinds of gay people out there in movies, music industry etc so the impact could be much more complex and would not be based on ONE stereotype. Right now we only see femme gays (and the I'm confused-Brokeback Mountain-kind of gay man in a smaller amount).  

On 5/12/2019 at 4:29 PM, Ghiles said:

Homophobic people will always be homophobic no matter what "representation" you throw their way. What we need is to stop worrying about straight people and seeking validation from them

KECp-yiI_rK6olcB.mp4?tag=9

On 5/12/2019 at 4:33 PM, Blade Runner said:

Y'all want those straight men to love y'all so bad. Aaahhhh "I'm normal. I'm like you":ahh:

... not every gay is a flamboyant *** that wears makeup LOL

On 5/13/2019 at 11:00 AM, UnusualBoy said:

I think one of the issues is that in almost every show, movie, etc, the gay is basically a flamboyant loud queen like couldn't they represent the community with more type of gays? 

i love how to get away with murder for making connor & oliver just 2 ordinary guys that happen to be gay

On 5/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, zach said:

“Discreet” is one of the most disgusting terms in the gay community.

:clap3:Its an insult to all the GAY rights we have and the movement globally towards equality.