I'd like more discreet cis gay men in the public eye

239 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Truffle. said:

i love how to get away with murder for making connor & oliver just 2 ordinary guys that happen to be gay

They did the same on glee with Chris Colfer and Darren Criss

Imagine having the ****ing privilege to go online and post such ****ing ignorance.  We fight every  day to have equality and here you are complaining because "make up gays" are out in the media? We are extremely lucky we get ANY SORT of representation.  In these times where everything is being repeal, what happens if gay marriage, or gay rights are repealed????? and you're worried that masc guys don't have representation? **** off.

You, a nobody, is triggered because you don't have mascs guys as a representation? Log off, and go portray that "butch" lifestyle you want ....make a change "bro"

Also If they are discreet wouldn't you never know, because they dont tell people? :psyduck: 

Your post is not only ****ing stupid, is hurtful to the community.

even if you were correct in saying that feminine gays have more representation, your argument would still be wrong. but the statement your whole stance is based on is flat out false. there are far more masculine gay men with public platforms than feminine ones. not even to mention how their platforms have so much more mainstream reach. do you really think "makeup gays" viewed predominantly by teenage girls on youtube have the same impact on the world's view of gay people as countless gay media personalities, politicians, and entertainers, most of whom are "discreet"? you just forget they even exist, and therefore feel so underrepresented because they ARE so "discreet" -- which is what you want. :huh: hmm

if you discreet gays want representation so bad maybe y’all should try stepping your sh*t up to the level of femmes instead of complaing about it on a forum :cm:  Don’t be mad that flamboyant gays found a way to successfully make bank off of something they’ve been shamed for their whole lives. Even if some aren’t making bank, they’re still living their truths & that’s what matters. 

I understand what you’re saying, but as mentioned, there are a number of celebrities as well as characters that fit the description. Maybe you’re looking in the wrong places?

The feedback here has been very mixed, but I guess that means this discussion was and is needed.

The people here, who have been very angry at me, are most likely not the sort of people that I describe in the thread title. I wish that nobody would call me names, or like one who told me to go kill myself... that doesn't help anyone. Offense is not the best defense, and I did not attack anyone to begin with.

I am not 'a bro' by any means. I'm somewhere between masc and fem, just as I believe most people are. That what @Truffle. said about "guys that happen to be gay" is exactly what I'm looking for in the media. The thing is that I don't know who people first think of when you ask them about gays. Regardless, we need guys with integrity out there, no matter what their type of self is. For me, that type happens to be as it reads in the OP, but I think everyone has the right to want their own kind of people out there.

16 hours ago, Daniel767 said:

Imagine having the ****ing privilege to go online and post such ****ing ignorance.  We fight every  day to have equality and here you are complaining because "make up gays" are out in the media? We are extremely lucky we get ANY SORT of representation.  In these times where everything is being repeal, what happens if gay marriage, or gay rights are repealed????? and you're worried that masc guys don't have representation? **** off.

You, a nobody, is triggered because you don't have mascs guys as a representation? Log off, and go portray that "butch" lifestyle you want ....make a change "bro"

Also If they are discreet wouldn't you never know, because they dont tell people? :psyduck: 

Your post is not only ****ing stupid, is hurtful to the community.

I think your taking the OP out of context

16 hours ago, Truffle. said:

i love how to get away with murder for making connor & oliver just 2 ordinary guys that happen to be gay

Yes, exactly

11 hours ago, anti-bitch said:

The feedback here has been very mixed, but I guess that means this discussion was and is needed.

The people here, who have been very angry at me, are most likely not the sort of people that I describe in the thread title. I wish that nobody would call me names, or like one who told me to go kill myself... that doesn't help anyone. Offense is not the best defense, and I did not attack anyone to begin with. 

I am not 'a bro' by any means. I'm somewhere between masc and fem, just as I believe most people are. That what @Truffle. said about "guys that happen to be gay" is exactly what I'm looking for in the media. The thing is that I don't know who people first think of when you ask them about gays. Regardless, we need guys with integrity out there, no matter what their type of self is. For me, that type happens to be as it reads in the OP, but I think everyone has the right to want their own kind of people out there. 

There ARE gays with integrity out there, its just internalized homophobia that makes people think that they lack those qualities.  Reflect on your internal biases a little bit more.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:02 AM, Javan said:

I agree! And bi men too! 

Currently watching big mouth and Jay’s bisexual storyline is giving me life and it made me realise just how little representation I had growing up. 

....not BM :toofunny3: and NOT Jay :toofunny3:

I hope you know what you just said.

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

....not BM :toofunny3: and NOT Jay :toofunny3:

I hope you know what you just said.

Idgi. Is jay not bi? I didn’t finish the last season 

I completely agree with the OP. Imagine if we treated every straight girl as a Barbie who is a fashion glamourpuss and basically a Regina George? As we know, there's tons of different kinds of women of varying sexualities that we see represented everywhere.

There's even more diversity in how lesbian women are represented. Ellen, Halsey, Kate McKinnon, etc. all represent different kinds of women who just happen to be lesbian/bisexual. Now imagine if most other gay/bi women were all like Rosie O'Donnell - someone most people would associate with how a "typical" lesbian would look and act (more masculine).

The mainstream gay men right now only represent a few kinds of people, and it's usually the over-the-top, dramatic, and/or feminine gay men - Andy Cohen, Rupaul, James Charles, etc. A big part of this is because there seems to be harassment and urges to out any man suspected of being gay. See: Shawn Mendes, Harry Styles, etc.

Being straight-passing is already the status quo. Masc4masc gays are so terrified about the acceptance & prevalence of gender-nonconformity. :rip: It’s rooted in misogyny; the masculine fears the uprising of the feminine because it means a decline in power. Seethe, “discreet” gays, homophobes still hate you, too.