I'd like more discreet cis gay men in the public eye

239 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Many young gays of fame right now are gender-queers or makeup gays. I would like more men out there who you can't tell are gay unless they tell you so. Everyone is welcome, but the more there are people in public who do not conform to the stereotypes on gays, the more there will be acceptance to the whole diverse community of gays and bis.

I'm a discreet 24 y.o. cis gay and unfortunately there are few if any people out there right now famous and openly gay or bi who I could truly relate to.

Discreet only means that people can't tell you are gay or bi unless you explicitly say so or let them know you have a boyfriend. It should not be a negative term.

The feedback here has been very mixed, but I guess that means this discussion was and is needed.

The people here, who have been very angry at me, are most likely not the sort of people that I describe in the thread title. I wish that nobody would call me names, or like one who told me to go kill myself... that doesn't help anyone. Offense is not the best defense, and I did not attack anyone to begin with.

I am not 'a bro' by any means. I'm somewhere between masc and fem, just as I believe most people are. That what "Truffle." said about "guys that happen to be gay" is exactly what I'm looking for in the media. The thing is that I don't know who people first think of when you ask them about gays. Regardless, we need guys with integrity out there, no matter what their type of self is. For me, that type happens to be as it reads in this post, but I think everyone has the right to want their own kind of people out there.

Are you masc4masc bro? Do you like rock music, man?

Please

The internalized homophobia FLEW out :toofunny3:

I'm a discreet 24 y.o. cis gay

slay! 

They exist, they’re just... discreet. Ever heard of Zachary Quinto, Neil Patrick Harris, or Anderson Cooper?

Homophobic people will always be homophobic no matter what "representation" you throw their way. What we need is to stop worrying about straight people and seeking validation from them

Agree

ZKWmqZc.gif

This isn't an actual problem. Seek help for your internalized homophobia and misogyny and stop putting it on the rest of the world to solve it for you. 

2 minutes ago, Domination said:

They exist, they’re just... discreet. Ever heard of Zachary Quinto, Neil Patrick Harris, or Anderson Cooper?

I know but the for the reliability part there should be more young men like us in their 20s like that.

I agree! And bi men too! 

Currently watching big mouth and Jay’s bisexual storyline is giving me life and it made me realise just how little representation I had growing up. 

Posted (edited)

You’re right, actually. It’s more evident in the movie industry too. We will reach that cultural milestone at one point, but so far I’m sick of seeing stereotypical comic relief characters being the gay ones.   

Posted (edited)

Y'all want those straight men to love y'all so bad. Aaahhhh "I'm normal. I'm like you":ahh:

"discreet"

:lmao:

8 minutes ago, chilicheese01 said:

Are you masc4masc bro? Do you like rock music, man?

Yes and no, but that's not the point. Discreet shouldn't mean anything bad. You can be a discreet twink really.

We have Jussie Smollett 

:dies: 

this is sad, just because one messy problematic gay is under fire doesn't mean all femme gays are the same. And being discreet means that nobody knows you're gay? We already have Shawn Mendes for that

Sis, this ain’t it. James and anyone else being feminine was never the issue. James is just a bad person, period. The feminine gay men representation was actually groundbreaking... Just a shame it was James of all people to represent on massive scale.

"discreet"

"public eye"

6QHUrIR.thumb.png.26a2db37a1ac8eaf541da6

5 minutes ago, Domination said:

Im so confused at the popular assertion that Cooper is not a flaming fairy. Heck, I knew he liked men before I knew I did :dies: 

4 minutes ago, Ghiles said:

Homophobic people will always be homophobic no matter what "representation" you throw their way. What we need is to stop worrying about straight people and seeking validation from them

That’s not what the thread is about. He wants representation for himself, not for the GP

Posted (edited)

There are literally no positive images of feminine gays in the media. Remind me of one. Every single popular film about gay men I can think of depict masculine “straight passing” men.

Moonlight - centers on a straight passing man

Brokebrack Mountain - centers on literal straight men

CMBYN- centers on one literal straight man

Yall are so embarrassing trying to fabricate this oppression. If any group gets the short end of the stick in gay culture it’s the femmes. We are always depicted as malicious, clowns, the butt of every joke, gossipy, and trying to deceive straight men. Every single person co-signing the OP needs to educate themselves :biblio:

7 minutes ago, Javan said:

I agree! And bi men too! 

Currently watching big mouth and Jay’s bisexual storyline is giving me life and it made me realise just how little representation I had growing up. 

:toofunny2: