Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

60's Music Discussion Thread

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This thread is created to join the iconic Music Discussion family on the 50th anniversary of Stand! :eli:

"Everyday People" is one of my favorite 60s songs, and yes, I have to post this atrocious music video.:alexz:

:clap3:ready to y’all know Elvis was ruling the game 

Cheap Thrills & The Doors are the best albums of that time :foxaylove2: fight me

My fave songs

.Oh, Darling! - The Beatles

.You Keep Me Hanging On - The Supremes

.You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore

.I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin

.You Are My Sunshine - Johnny Cash

I'm open to more recommendations.I like this decade.

jimi-hendrix-performing-in-1969.jpg?crop=900:600&width=440

Jimi :jonny5:

When they all were in front!

The Ronettes slay, the Chrystal’s, the Shirelles, Shangri-Las all slay. The girl groups in the 60s were everything. 

18 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

This thread is created to join the iconic Music Discussion thread family on the 50th anniversary of Stand! :eli:

"Everyday People" is one of my favorite 60s songs, and yes, I have to post this atrocious music video.

love this

Pet Sounds is the best to ever do it tho

Elvis_is_Back!.jpg

Smokey Robinson is shook 

tenor.gif

Dionne is prob the greatest female singer of her time!

:fish1: What a melody man!

"Music’s for grooving man, and music’s not for puttin’ yourself through bad changes, you know? I mean, you don’t have to go take anybody’s ****, man, just to like music, you know what I mean? You don’t. So... so if you’re getting’ more **** than you deserve, you know what to do about it man. You know, it’s just music. Music’s... music's supposed to be different than that."

I can't stop thinking about GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS :sats:

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

"Music’s for grooving man, and music’s not for puttin’ yourself through bad changes, you know? I mean, you don’t have to go take anybody’s ****, man, just to like music, you know what I mean? You don’t. So... so if you’re getting’ more **** than you deserve, you know what to do about it man. You know, it’s just music. Music’s... music's supposed to be different than that."

:clap3::jonny5:

6 minutes ago, PrinceMichaelFan said:

Dionne is prob the greatest female singer of her time!

Bacharach and David had scored a number 7 hit in 1965 with Jackie DeShannon's message song hit "What the World Needs Now is Love" but "The Windows of the World" was unique in the composers' canon in being a protest song. Inspired by such songs as "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" and "Blowin' in the Wind", Hal David wrote lyrics for "The Windows of the World" which overtly but gently lament U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War (an especial concern to David, who had two young sons, one of them almost of eligible age for the draft). The arrangement for "The Windows of the World" has a subtle Asian flavor featuring strings plucked in the style of a koto and also finger cymbals the latter evoking the sound of raindrops on a window.

:jonny2:

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Bacharach and David had scored a number 7 hit in 1965 with Jackie DeShannon's message song hit "What the World Needs Now is Love" but "The Windows of the World" was unique in the composers' canon in being a protest song. Inspired by such songs as "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" and "Blowin' in the Wind", Hal David wrote lyrics for "The Windows of the World" which overtly but gently lament U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War (an especial concern to David, who had two young sons, one of them almost of eligible age for the draft). The arrangement for "The Windows of the World" has a subtle Asian flavor featuring strings plucked in the style of a koto and also finger cymbals the latter evoking the sound of raindrops on a window.

:jonny2:

:clap3:A vocalist!!!!

Dionne was America's first black pop star! I love how she did POP as a black female

another top 10 hit right here

This will always be the greatest female song.

PAST or PRESENT --- nothing has top Dionne's dark and mysterious version.

In 1964, Springfield recorded two Burt Bacharach songs: "Wishin' and Hopin' " – a US Top 10 hit – and the emotional "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself," which reached No. 3 on the UK chart. The latter song set the standard for much of her later material.

a lesbian LEGEND, @AvrilLaQueen has to deal with THAT!

oh wow what a MOMENT 

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

In 1964, Springfield recorded two Burt Bacharach songs: "Wishin' and Hopin' " – a US Top 10 hit – and the emotional "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself," which reached No. 3 on the UK chart. The latter song set the standard for much of her later material.

Okay Dusty a white soul singer! :sats: you'll be his!!!!

Too white for black radio and Too Black for White radio but what a monumental song for Tina Turner --her first international hit 

this thread will be great to use and learn about music from the 1960's :duca: