Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Lack of religion = more moral decay/evil people?

56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Inspired by the Religion is FLOPPING in the US thread. So I've heard from quite a number of religious people that the growing lack of religion should be more of a cause of concern in people today. Apparently, they argue that without religion, people wouldn't have a structured source of morality/ethics to turn to and we'd have all of these evil people running around doing whatever they please without fear of a god/afterlife. 

What do y'all think? Do some people in the world still need religion as a way to keep them in line? Is the threat of an unpleasant afterlife (eg. hell) necessary just for some to be decent humans? 

No, on the opposite it will lead to higher morals and kinder people like it always has. Morals are innate to humans. Religions just adopted morals of their times into their codes. The secural western european countries are the most peaceful countries in the world. 

Completely false. The idea that you have to have religion to have morals and values or to know good or bad is so outdated and wrong.

Not really. I mean just look at all the Islamic countries. It depends on the religion and culture.

However, this argument reminds me of this video :rip:

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Harmonous said:

What do y'all think? Do some people in the world still need religion as a way to keep them in line? Is the threat of an unpleasant afterlife (eg. hell) necessary just for some to be decent humans? 

Also, no. Christians don’t think you have to be good to go to heaven. They just think you have to accept Jesus as your savior, then you can basically do whatever you want as long as you’ve GENUINELY accepted Jesus Christ as your savior, because he died for your right to sin and be cleaned of said sins, so they’re the last ones I’ll take moral advice from.

My old pastor from when I went to church/was a Christian would tell us that Jeffery Dahmer has a better chance of being in heaven, as he was a devout Christian, than an atheist who has never harmed anybody does. That was what turned me off from Christianity and religion as a whole. 

so if religion is a source of morality then why were millions killed because of it throughout history :psyduck:

“Good morals” do not equate to having religion.  Having socially acceptable ethically good traits are taught outside of religion just as much as they can be taught from within.  

Also,” having morals” doesn’t make you good, especially when you willingly violate the worst ones.  You can look at the many instances of priests molesting and raping children over the course of centuries, and the church’s willingness to HIDE this from public knowledge (which they still do today).  

Usually I would disagree, but I did find some weirdos in the atheists community who say dumb s**t like "giving birth to babies is cruel because you're just giving them pain in life and death". A Lana Del Rey "Born To Die" teas.

Slikovni rezultat za the iiconics gif heartbreakers.me

So there are definitely morally lost atheists, but I wouldn't call most of them evil since they fight for the better world from the injustice and flaws that religion brought us.

Maybe in the 200s when the roman empire feel apart and it was just nomadic people fending for themselves. But in our modern society it's quite the opposite. In modern day a lot of the worst atrocisities are commited into the name of religion. And countries with a theocricy run governemnt are some of the worst off morally. 

I´ve seen more morality in atheism people than in double standard false people who blindly follow any religion. 

God = Love

Religion = Hate, Segregation.

God =/= Religion

Love =/= Religion

Life is definetly more scarier and complicated as an agnostic/atheist so there is much more pressure on people in general to find their own Meaning of Life.mp3. More pressure, more possible aggressiveness. But will that lead to less peace? Not sure. It can be a factor to weaken a society, but I don't think it's inevitable. People need security in their life, that is one reason why religion is still here. If we can replace that feeling of security with sth. non-religious, then we may not need religion anymore.

If you're only not committing heinous acts such as murder, rape, and other forms of abuse because of the threat of a bad afterlife, are you a moral person in the first place?

And a lot of progress that has been made in American morality recently has happened outside of religion. And there are moral people of a variety of different backgrounds, religious and otherwise, that exist today.

You should look into ethics and moral systems. Because society (in particular, Native American cultures) has existed without religion throughout history, it's just that we tend to overlook them in favor of ones that do (Christianity's Crusades, Dark Ages etc).

A lot of them have existed for millennia and religion is only a recent concept that utilizes the moral preconceptions from them.

Utilitarianism is an example.

No. Religion allowed humans to express moral codes in absolutes, because contingency (i.e. life having no inherent meaning or direction) frightens people. People needed to be reassured, the same as many do now, that we weren't just making this up as we went along.

Particularly since the Enlightenment, we've come up with more interesting ways to think about these issues than omniscient beings and stone tablets - especially when thinking about ethics in a global context, using comparative frameworks to analyse how similar and dissimilar ideas about "morality" are historically made and unmade around the world.

Imagine needing a religion to have morals.  I-

Brando

Just because there is no God doesn't mean I should start hurting people.  Wha-

Brando

If people think religion is what is keeping them from being "evil", then thank "god" they are religious. Nn-

Brando

The people in my life who have been the most cruel and the people who lack empathy the most have all used their religion as a shield to justify their behaviour.

Believing that whatever you do you can simply ask forgiveness for and you’re done with it is much more dangerous than believing that your actions on Earth matter. Asking a god for forgiveness for your awful behaviour is a lot easier than asking the person you have hurt for forgiveness and taking actions to make it right.

The only benefit I see to organized religion is providing a sense of community which can lower depression and suicide. I do not believe lack of religion creates a lack of morality. Morality has more to do with us being human than being religious. There's a reason why certain behaviors stem from certain parts of the brain, not some dusty old book kept in hotels. 

12 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

Life is definetly more scarier and complicated as an agnostic/atheist so there is much more pressure on people in general to find their own Meaning of Life.mp3. More pressure, more possible aggressiveness. But will that lead to less peace? Not sure. It can be a factor to weaken a society, but I don't think it's inevitable. People need security in their life, that is one reason why religion is still here. If we can replace that feeling of security with sth. non-religious, then we may not need religion anymore.

I disagree. As an agnostic, I'm content with just worrying about my current life. Anything after this should be focused on when the time comes. It's too much for us to comprehend or worry about. 

12 minutes ago, Madonno said:

I´ve seen more morality in atheism people than in double standard false people who blindly follow any religion. 

God = Love

Religion = Hate, Segregation.

God =/= Religion

Love =/= Religion

FACTS

the way Queen of Pop ended that guy :clap3: 

Except people were dumber before 

11 minutes ago, tylerrcrush said:

Also, no. Christians don’t think you have to be good to go to heaven. They just think you have to accept Jesus as your savior, then you can basically do whatever you want as long as you’ve GENUINELY accepted Jesus Christ as your savior, because he died for your right to sin and be cleaned of said said, so they’re the last ones I’ll take moral advice from.

My old pastor from when I went to church/was a Christian would tell us that Jeffery Dahmer has a better chance of being in heaven, as he was a devout Christian, than an atheist who has never harmed anybody does. That was what turned me off from Christianity and religion as a whole. 

I always found this interesting tbh. Maybe it's because I was raised in a branch of christianity that believes that true, Jesus died, but you STILL have to live according to god's commandments, or else you can kiss eternal life in heaven goodbye :toofunny2:

1 minute ago, Harmonous said:

I always found this interesting tbh. Maybe it's because I was raised in a branch of christianity that believes that true, Jesus died, but you STILL have to live according to god's commandments, or else you can kiss eternal life in heaven goodbye :toofunny2:

Well I mean, yeah. I was too. Basically what I was taught from Christianity was be the best you can, but if you do slip up, yes, even murdering somebody, Jesus is your savior so just ask for forgiveness and you're good! Which I just couldn't get behind. 

Ironically it's the opposite, people who don't believe in God forgiving their sins are more likely to take responsibility for their wrong actions and learn from it rather than pray it away and do it again.