Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Official: PS5 is PS4 compatible. Physical media confirmed

58 posts in this topic

Sony dropped an article on the PS5 out of nowhere :deadbanana2:

EXCLUSIVE: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SONY'S NEXT-GEN PLAYSTATION

MARK CERNY WOULD like to get one thing out of the way right now: The videogame console that Sony has spent the past four years building is no mere upgrade.

The “next-gen console,“ as he refers to it repeatedly, won’t be landing in stores anytime in 2019. A number of studios have been working with it, though, and Sony recently accelerated its deployment of devkits so that game creators will have the time they need to adjust to its capabilities.

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet. :jonny5:

Ray tracing’s immediate benefits are largely visual. Because it mimics the way light bounces from object to object in a scene, reflective surfaces and refractions through glass or liquid can be rendered much more accurately, even in real-time, leading to heightened realism. According to Cerny, the applications go beyond graphic implications. “If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” he says. “It's all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

As you’ve noticed, this is all hardware talk. Cerny isn’t ready to chat about services or other features, let alone games and price, and neither is anyone at Sony. Nor will you hear much about the console at E3 in June—for the first time, Sony won’t be holding a keynote at the annual games show. But a few more things come out during the course of our conversation. For example, the next-gen console will still accept physical media; it won’t be a download-only machine. Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console. As in many other generational transitions, this will be a gentle one, with numerous new games being released for both PS4 and the next-gen console. (Where exactly Hideo Kojima’s forthcoming title Death Stranding fits in that process is still unconfirmed. When asked, a spokesperson in the room repeated that the game would be released for PS4, but Cerny’s smile and pregnant pause invites speculation that it will in fact be a two-platform release.)

O...M...G.

PS5 lead architect spilling all this tea out of nowhere :jonny5:

8 core AMD Zen 2
Ray-tracing support with GPU

Extremely fast high-end SSD storage

Virtual Reality

strongly hinted at 2020

Death Stranding highly possible for a 2 console debut

It will last about 6 months before becoming outdated, cloud gaming is where it's at :cm: 

This will be very interesting. Also it's a smart way to keep the public expectations in check by outright saying it ain't coming this year. I fully expect ps5 to reclaim the title of fastest selling console from switch. It'll be their 1989 era wig 

I love this, but I would rather get a hybrid portable like the Switch, only more powerful so it can play PS4 like games.

I just love the freedom of my Switch so much and it's hard to me to be tied to the non-portable console. 

This was a fascinating read. I love that they gave specific details without tipping their hand and still have plenty to tease. I think this will be the perfect console to meet the demand of the core gamer while also looking towards the future with cloud gaming. :duca:

I want full backwards compatibility. :alexz2:

7 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

It will last about 6 months before becoming outdated, cloud gaming is where it's at :cm: 

I mean, isn't this where it currently is anyway? Most console gamers have their games stored in their system instead of having the physical disc. 

OT: I haven't gamed in a while but WIG @ Sony being nice to its customers and giving us backwards compatibility... that was one of the PS3s (first version) major selling points. I also read that the price will be $500... which I guess isn't too bad. 

1 minute ago, shinyshimmery said:

I mean, isn't this where it currently is anyway? Most console gamers have their games stored in their system instead of having the physical disc. 

OT: I haven't gamed in a while but WIG @ Sony being nice to its customers and giving us backwards compatibility... that was one of the PS3s (first version) major selling points. I also read that the price will be $500... which I guess isn't too bad. 

No no, I mean cloud gaming where the graphics are generated somewhere else and you just get a stream of the game.

https://store.google.com/magazine/stadia

Why is he making such a big deal about ray tracing?  You can literally buy a ray tracing GPU for under 1k but I see how this is important for something that could cost $500. Anyway, as long as the games are good, it sounds solid.

Cloud gaming isn’t going to take over :lmao: 

anyway all those details are incredible. They’re coming for blood :jonny5:

Wtf? PS4 like literally just came out :jonny5:

1 minute ago, nathanspears said:

No no, I mean cloud gaming where the graphics are generated somewhere else and you just get a stream of the game.

https://store.google.com/magazine/stadia

Ohhhh, I didn't even know such thing existed :eek: 

That would be SO helpful as the main reason my PS4 sits collecting dust is due to the constant updates.  

Stadia is coming. 

1 minute ago, Halcyon Nights said:

sis, it came out :gaycat1: in 2013. 

2 minutes ago, Halcyon Nights said:

2013 happened 6 years ago already and this one isn't coming this year so...:deadbanana2:

1 minute ago, shinyshimmery said:

sis, it came out :gaycat1: in 2013. 

That's crazy lol 

4 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Why is he making such a big deal about ray tracing?  You can literally buy a ray tracing GPU for under 1k but I see how this is important for something that could cost $500. Anyway, as long as the games are good, it sounds solid.

Because the average person doesn’t have 1k to spare to spend on... that :rip: 

I skipped the ps4 (had the ps3) but I might actually buy this :jonny: since I sold my gaming pc I’ve gotten so out of touch with games, the only ones I’ve played in the last 3 years are gta 5 and the Sims :rip: 

I love Sony/PS4 but PC gaming forever

3 minutes ago, shinyshimmery said:

Ohhhh, I didn't even know such thing existed :eek: 

That would be SO helpful as the main reason my PS4 sits collecting dust is due to the constant updates.  

It's literally going to be the future, the only dangers I see are latency and how "owning" games would work.

4 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

It's literally going to be the future, the only dangers I see are latency and how "owning" games would work.

Can you elaborate in dummy terms what cloud gaming is/does? I can’t find any simple explanations on google 

8 minutes ago, Halcyon Nights said:

In 2013, yes.

OT: Perched for PS3, 2 and 1 :jonny5:

4 has built an incredible library of games, it'd be a shame to let it all go to waste. But Sony will probably use this feature as an excuse for a lackluster launch titles :skull:

Your turn Microsoft, make your only fan on this forum proud

Lukey

5 minutes ago, May said:

Can you elaborate in dummy terms what cloud gaming is/does? I can’t find any simple explanations on google 

Basically, you will play games through a program (Google's Stadia I believe just uses Chrome the browser) and what you will see is a video stream. You will use a controller as normal or a keyboard and mouse.

The creation of the graphics and computation of the controls will be done in server farms around the world. This means any computer, tablet, phone etc. could play games as all it needs to process is a simple video stream.

There are huuuge benefits to this, the hardware in the server farms will be top spec and will be able to do 4k 60fps with HDR and surround sound at launch and as time goes on, they are expected to be able to reach 120fps at 8k which is just insane. Games also won't need to be downloaded and you would expect any loading times to be nearly non existent given the hardware it will be running on.

It has been done before, OnLive managed to do it, I tried it myself and it worked very well but it was too ahead of it's time. Sony ended up buying it and just destroyed it before it could take off fully.

Now, hopefully with the power of Google, cloud gaming will finally reign supreme :cm: 

PS4 ain’t dead compared to XBONE 

We could go another 3 years and no one would complain.