In entertainment, why sex taboo but not violence???

12 posts in this topic

FailSafe

Movies, videogames, books... Sex is always an uncomfortable zone and but violence with guns, genocide, etc are commonplace when it's arguable that sex is more natural than violence. Why???

Reza

Because people are desensitized to violence. I have asked the same thing to people and they always say its because the violence is "fake". I'm like you are okay with watching someone get shot in the head but a nipple crosses the line :deadbanana2:

shookspeare
2 hours ago, Rowan said:

It's not.

Just now, Pandora30012 said:

did you just make that up? :toofunny2:

i- ... what? violence is perfectly okay in movies/TV, yet sex is completely taboo. maybe less so these days but i remember growing up how my mother would shield my eyes if a sex scene came up, yet i could watch people be murdered on TV :rip: and this still persists, which is completely illogical. maybe it's an american thing, my mother is american and way more sensitive to sex than my non-american father is

princedonte
12 minutes ago, Pandora30012 said:

2 hours ago, Rowan said:

It's not.

It is true. They’ve made documentaries and studies on this. Movies with lots of sex are rated harsher than films with gory violence and such. 

Metamorphosis
2 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

i- ... what? violence is perfectly okay in movies/TV, yet sex is completely taboo. maybe less so these days but i remember growing up how my mother would shield my eyes if a sex scene came up, yet i could watch people be murdered on TV :rip: and this still persists, which is completely illogical. maybe it's an american thing, my mother is american and way more sensitive to sex than my non-american father is

Yes, it’s an American thing. Sex here is a very taboo topic to openly discuss despite the fact that we’re subtly exposed to it through indirect marketing techniques. I believe violence isn’t as taboo because our society is overtly masculine, so aggression is looked at as a positive thing.

Florges

Because warfare/killing used to be normal celebrated elements in society and sex was always taboo(ish) in most cultures(at least public depictions like in media)

Pandora30012
1 hour ago, shookspeare said:

oh america

TipToe

that's the 1 billion dollar question baby, i've always questioned it myself.

5 hours ago, Rowan said:

It's not.

3 hours ago, Pandora30012 said:

just think about it: it's completely OK to sit through a movie with y'all parents and witness corpses flying, people cursing, blood and chaos. but let a sex scene comes in and everybody gets tense and wants to change the channel.