Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Trump: Monitor disabled ppls SM, cut benefits if 'too happy'

46 posts in this topic

A new policy proposal by the Trump administration calls for the surveillance of disabled people’s social media profiles to determine the necessity of their disability benefits. The proposal, which reportedly aims to cut down on the number of fraudulent disability claims would, monitor the profiles of disabled people and flag content that shows them doing physical activities. When it comes down to it, the policy dictates that disabled people shouldn’t be seen living their lives for fear of losing vital financial aid and, possibly, medical care.

The administration has been working closely with the Social Security Administration in an effort to reduce false claims believing that social media holds a cache of information regarding eligibility of Social Security Disability Benefits. They believe that by monitoring the social media accounts of disability benefit recipients, they can root out false claims and reduce the overall amount of money spent on the programs.

The proposal, like many of its policies regarding disabled people, shows a fundamental misunderstanding of disability and takes advantage of how social media operates in order to cut them off from the support they need. Disabled people don’t all function in the same way, and disability is not a set of stereotypes like taking selfies staring longingly at the world. They live lives while managing their energy for the activities they can handle and trying to make those they cannot more accessible.

Additionally, studies have shown that a majority of social media users show only the good in their lives, not the hardships or difficulties. Disabled people should be allowed to share the full scope of their existence without fear they’ll be accused of lying—and even fraud—by the United States Government which will likely reason that if a disabled person is seen going to the mall or taking time to swim or jog, they can be working. x

those affected would include military veterans with PTSD

I don't see anything wrong with this.  Disability should go to those who actually need it and not to people who want to fraud the system.

But Orange Man Bad

Haus

Nothing wrong with this - there are literally thousands of people claiming disability who are not actually disabled.

4 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I don't see anything wrong with this.  Disability should go to those who actually need it and not to people who want to fraud the system.

But Orange Man Bad

Haus

The United States isn’t a racist surveillance state. Also, fraud is incredibly rare. It’s just another republican boogeyman 

how are people ok with this? lol

10 minutes ago, Rowan said:

But Orange Man Bad

Haus

Kind of like tax cuts and tax fraud but who cares about that right?

Haus

The idiots agreeing with this. :ahh: How many times does the gov't have to come out and say that fraud is very, very rare????

Additionally, studies have shown that a majority of social media users show only the good in their lives, not the hardships or difficulties.

EXACTLY. So if someone is at a store buying groceries, they could be flagged? If someone posts a selfie of them smiling, they could be flagged?

Oh yeah, nothing wrong with that.

10 minutes ago, Customer_Service said:

Nothing wrong with this - there are literally thousands of people claiming disability who are not actually disabled.

Many of them being Trump republicans. I wonder how they will feel about this?

Haus

Oh, this is literally nothing other than another way to cut social security and other safety nets to help PAY FOR THE TRILLION-DOLLAR TAX CUT he gave to the rich.

If they're targeting the frauds, then nothing is wrong with that.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TrashyNavy said:

:toofunny2: atrl has some weird takes..... but the recent thread on welfare would explain it

and regardless of one's views on welfare, which is vastly different than SSDI, this kind of monitoring is literally some chinese social credit teas and that level of surveillance should terrify every american. 

also, just completely ableist, racist, classist, etc. people use anecdotal evidence and generalizations all the time but the reality is that it's incredibly hard and tedious to qualify and receive government benefits here. republicans have gutted these programs since reagan. 

8 minutes ago, TrashyNavy said:

Insurance companies, banks, debt collectors ect all stalk people on social media.

If you're going to put your life on the internet, then be prepared for it to be used against you if you are being fraudulent.

1 minute ago, Almighty Gaga said:

If they're targeting the frauds, then nothing is wrong with that.

Do any of you know how to read?

They're not targeting frauds, they're targeting every-day people to see if they can catch them committing fraud, and their idea of fraud is "are they too happy, are they walking". There is already a system in place to monitor people who are believed to be committing fraud so this is completely pointless.

If you don't think this will lead to innocent people being persecuted then you're stupid.

4 minutes ago, Haus said:

:toofunny2: atrl has some weird takes..... but the recent thread on welfare would explain it

and regardless of one's views on welfare, which is vastly different than SSDI, this kind of monitoring is literally some chinese social credit teas and that level of surveillance should terrify every american. 

also, just completely ableist, racist, classist, etc. people use anecdotal evidence and generalizations all the time but the reality is that it's incredibly hard and tedious to qualify and receive government benefits here. republicans have gutted these programs since reagan. 

:clap3: 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Rowan said:

But Orange Man Bad

Haus

First of all it’s not easy to get SSDI in the first place. Do you know how many times ppl are deined from receiving SSDI? Some have been waiting for years. The only fraud here is trump & his tax scam. 

Y'all honestly believe the US isn't a surveillance state :bibliahh:

you guys...there is such a thing as a MENTAL disability...Jesus :rip: 

People with autism exist

People with mental ******ation exist.

Disability isn't just physical. 

1 minute ago, MusicLoverDude said:

People with autism exist

People with mental ******ation exist.

Disability isn't just physical. 

Mental hateration?

7 minutes ago, Vertigo Stick said:

:clap3: 

it wasn't until last fall when i was taking a mental health leave from school that i got a real life glimpse of how hard it is to get benefits in chicago. i literally had to stay here since there is no access to mental health care in my rural wi hometown. my school doesn't offer financial assistance for medical leaves and wanted me to drive to minneapolis 2.5 hours 3x a week while working full time :biblio: obvs didn't do that. in the fall i was living off my summer savings + working full time having just moved into my current apartment w two roommates and had to slowly furnish my room as i could afford it. i qualified for medicaid and snap/food stamps and applied early on, got a letter a month later with my phone appointment window, missed work all afternoon waiting for the call which never came, called the agency 1000x who never answered, filed a report with someone at the county level, still never heard back, received a letter saying i no longer qualified since i 'missed' my phone appointment, and then gave up. luckily i was approved for reinstatement to school starting january where i receive good financial aid because i was flat broke by end of december.

according to the reviews of my area's agency, there is zero chance ever speaking to someone on the phone. the only way to get your interview is to wait in line 4+ hours on a weekday where there's no water fountain, vending machine, or chairs, they cut the line off in the afternoon, the workers are condescending, and many of those who do get someone have to return more than once and do it all over again. i'm sure this is common knowledge to minorities in most cities but experiencing it firsthand was incredibly demoralizing. 

1 hour ago, Haus said:

surveillance of disabled people’s social media profiles

Just like China? :cm:

And people with invisible disabilities? Drop dead, bitch.

I post positve and happy posts, and I'm actually disabled. So because I'm disabled, I'm suppose to be a miserable *** with no life? :rip: **** this administration and that Orange POS.

5 hours ago, FrederickSpears said:

I post positve and happy posts, and I'm actually disabled. So because I'm disabled, I'm suppose to be a miserable *** with no life? :rip: **** this administration and that Orange POS.

@Rowan @TrashyNavy

5 hours ago, FrederickSpears said:

OOC what disability do you have? I have autism