LA Times drags Arichella

248 posts in this topic

Cacciatore

Review: Ariana Grande at Coachella was not the pop star we needed

Grande’s singing was fine, at least when she bothered to sing. (She relied on a lot of vocal tracks.) And her costumes were fun. (She said she couldn’t decide which one to wear, so she wore them all — none of which you can see here, as Grande barred The Times from photographing the concert.)

But with routines from her current arena tour jammed together with special-for-Coachella numbers, this thing told no coherent story — a must for any pop extravaganza that plays in the wake of Beyoncé’s game-changing performance last year.

Worse, the would-be show-stoppers (other than the collaboration with ’N Sync) were sloppy as hell.

Nicki Minaj turned up to do her verses in “Side to Side” and “Bang Bang,” but rapped so carelessly that it came as no surprise when she didn’t come out later during “The Light Is Coming,” on which she also features.

And though you had to appreciate the thought that went into it, an unannounced appearance by Diddy and Mase to do “Mo Money Mo Problems” — which Grande sampled years ago for her own “Break Your Heart Right Back” — went sideways when the singer’s band seemed unable to settle on a key for the song.

Which meant that the moment, lacking any musical value, registered only as hollow spectacle — precisely the thing that diehard rock chauvinists say Coachella was indulging by booking a pop star in the first place.

They’re wrong, of course. (I repeat: Beyoncé.) But I worry that this slapdash display might scare Coachella back into its comfort zone.

Resultado de imagem para ariana grande coachella

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-ariana-grande-coachella-20190415-story.html

Blade Runner

giphy.gif

One of the worst performances I've ever seen. She's just terrible and her fans are blind. Stick to memes, Ariana Grande. 

nda
4 minutes ago, Cacciatore said:

so she wore them all — none of which you can see here, as Grande barred The Times from photographing the concert.)

Oh they’re mad :skull:

wxvii
Just now, Symmetra said:

:deadbanana2: I didn’t watch was it really that bad?

Not at all :rip: I don’t see why people are trying to hold her to someone like Beyoncé’s performance. People make no sense to me lmao

Thor

Stop giving these wack ass performers these huge platforms just because they have a couple of hits.

These huge festivals should be reserved for performers who are known for their stage presence & performing abilities.

This was a total non-event. It looked more like a kids choice awards show performance. :rip:

Henstridge

Are they THAT mad that she doesn't allow them to take random pictures of her shows? :rip:

Cain

Which meant that the moment, lacking any musical value, registered only as hollow spectacle — precisely the thing that diehard rock chauvinists say Coachella was indulging by booking a pop star in the first place.

They’re wrong, of course. (I repeat: Beyoncé.) But I worry that this slapdash display might scare Coachella back into its comfort zone.

I hope this doesn't happen, but can you imagine this performance making Coachella go anti-pop again. :skull:

Mezter
Just now, Shoto Todoroki said:

But ATRL member @Jude told me it was acclaimed and would get rave reviews :huh: 

One review written by one person doesn’t change the fact that it was a success :celestial5:

Katamari

an arinator needs to isolate her performance so we can see it cause i dont believe this outside of the nicki part

9J7CkHY.gif

Venus XCX

The impossibly high expectations people have for Ariana... it must be hard being the biggest pop star right now. The OAGHs can't stand it!

6_INCH_HEELS

They need to stop comparing these girls to Bey. Of course by comparison it may seem...bad. But if we look at her set without the Bey comparison, was it really that bad? It looks average at best. Which is typically what an Ariana performance is. So what's the problem?