RateYourMusic Thread

54 posts in this topic

Tom Vercetti

sonemic-512.png

With the rising popularity and usage of RateYourMusic (among pop music fans) I think we should have some kind of thread dedicated to it. Similar to the Last.fm thread here, Discuss the site, post profiles/ratings/reviews/lists, give recs, etc. 

Wicked

Yes! Going to start putting up reviews that aren't halfassed.

Tom Vercetti
1 minute ago, Slamless said:

I really want to start writing reviews on there

I want to do more as well. I've written some but most of them are just positive and to the point. 

Wicked

It has been pretty nice to see the site slowly remove the stick out of its ass when it comes to commercial pop music (by women, mainly).

Ray of Light became bolded a few months ago. 

Tom Vercetti
1 minute ago, Wicked said:

It has been pretty nice to see the site slowly remove the stick out of its ass when it comes to commercial pop music (by women, mainly).

Ray of Light became bolded a few months ago. 

There's still some issues though, such as the deweighting of members who earlier gave the boyboywest coast song a 5, causing a reactionary effect of modern hip hop releases having slightly lowered ratings because of it :shakeno: 

Wicked
Just now, Tom Vercetti said:

There's still some issues though, such as the deweighting of members who earlier gave the boyboywest coast song a 5, causing a reactionary effect of modern hip hop releases having slightly lowered ratings because of it :shakeno: 

I saw that thread. :rip: Admin said it was temporary tho, so hope for the best.

eaucitronnée

i'm bisged on the site x

i try to not participate in the community too much because i've realised that some things take way too long to change, and RYM's goofy anti-pop and somewhat anti-mainstream music stance is one of those things :-x the fact that the comment box for beyoncé's "lemonade" got wiped off the face of the site :-x also they seem to be iffy with female rap artists… ugh.

Tom Vercetti
2 minutes ago, eaucitronnée said:

i'm bisged on the site x

i try to not participate in the community too much because i've realised that some things take way too long to change, and RYM's goofy anti-pop and somewhat anti-mainstream music stance is one of those things :-x the fact that the comment box for beyoncé's "lemonade" got wiped off the face of the site :-x also they seem to be iffy with female rap artists as well lol

I wasn't there during the lemonade thing but I've always wondered what was the trigger point of having the whole comment box erased. And yeah it's iffy on contempt r&b stuff as well (usually 2000s era). Some of my favorite all-time singles there have less than 3.00 rating. I don't focus too much on it though. 

Wicked

RYM acts like most R&B doesn't exist except the obvious 70s albums just so they don't get laffed at too hard.

Even then, a bunch of classic records are ignored. Just means more R&B heads need to join. :cm: 

eaucitronnée
8 minutes ago, Tom Vercetti said:

I wasn't there during the lemonade thing but I've always wondered what was the trigger point of having the whole comment box erased. And yeah it's iffy on contempt r&b stuff as well (usually 2000s era). Some of my favorite all-time singles there have less than 3.00 rating. I don't focus too much on it though. 

the same reactionary bullsh*t happened in the comment box for Lemonade which is why it got nuked. a black woman making an R&B album discussing issues in the black american community :-x RYM is like 90% teen boys and college boys. there's a reason why stuff like this repeatedly happens in any mainstream album discussing social issues etc

as you can see i don't like the majority of the community surrounding RYM. thank god the culture is starting to change bc of pop listeners and mainstream rap listeners moving over there… slowly but surely

Kang.

I'm addicted tbh, I love charts and numbers and **** and it's helped me discover a lot of dankness already. want to start writing more lists/reviews as well

hello

ElleDriver

rym is just the pits. those snobs are so easily manipulated by the likes of p4k, the needle drop etc it's hilarious.

i also rarely agree w their overall year end lists. they just love anything white male and pretentious

sigh

Theus

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Birdylicious

I'm very skeptical and cautelous about my ratings. I have only gave one album an  score over five and one under three. If it is under 3.5 is something I enjoy quite a lot. I have an mentality that if an album is a 3.8 / 3.9 etc I will still round it under 3.5 instead of rouding because I do not think that  album is good enough to be under that score, hence why I use tags to describe how much I actually like them. I only rate albums as well and I rarely write reviews.

Also:

I recommend everyone that enjoys pop music to listen to this album! It was a pioneer of the use of sampling. It very rhythimic and uses samples from Madonna, Prince [!!!] and the whole funk, disco scene songs. She even does a "Got to be Real" cover! It was almost not released because of the amount of samples but there were no laws for this when it was released so EMI just went with it.             

Kang.
4 minutes ago, ElleDriver said:

rym is just the pits. those snobs are so easily manipulated by the likes of p4k, the needle drop etc it's hilarious.

i also rarely agree w their overall year end lists. they just love anything white male and pretentious

sigh

this why you gotta peep the friend charts to see what's truly what. overall charts are pretty gross but a lot of the genre charts are aight.

vRXxZ6K.png

luckily mine have taste.

Tom Vercetti
5 minutes ago, eaucitronnée said:

the same reactionary bullsh*t happened in the comment box for Lemonade which is why it got nuked. a black woman making an R&B album discussing issues in the black american community :-x RYM is like 90% teen boys and college boys. there's a reason why stuff like this repeatedly happens in any mainstream album discussing social issues etc

as you can see i don't like the majority of the community surrounding RYM. thank god the culture is starting to change bc of pop listeners and mainstream rap listeners moving over there… slowly but surely

Tbh the comment box for Janelle's dirty computer was also sketchy and I thought it would reach a similar fate but luckily things died down. The overall charts are starting to become a bit better. 

To Pimp A Butterfly surging all the way to top 15 came as a surprise to me since it seemed to happen so quickly. 

eaucitronnée

the boyboy west coast thing is hilarious :ahh:  RYM meme culture can be a bit messy but the deweighting kind of made me scream ngl. my only issue is that it caused a few hip-hop releases to take a hit in their own scores

Tom Vercetti

It's interesting to see different curves as well. Mine is pretty straightforward with it gravitating more in the 3s area.

wNM5Evo.png

Wicked

I've been seeing people who don't use the x.5 ratings, but why :skull: 

tgUDDBj.png