Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Traveling to Brazil. Is it safe for a tourist?

45 posts in this topic

My boyfriend and I are thinking about going to Rio de Janeiro this year (and maybe Sao Paulo). Do you have any bad tourist experiences in those places? Or maybe you live there and you know how to avoid crime? Please help me with some tips. :spin:

Watch the horror movie "turistas" with fergie's ex husband and u will get ur answer

It's pretty safe as long as you don't go to the favelas 

Sao Paulo is ugly, go to the colonial mining towns in Minas Gerais instead. Rio has become dangerous in the past few years but you'll be fine if you're careful enough. 

11 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Sao Paulo is ugly, go to the colonial mining towns in Minas Gerais instead. Rio has become dangerous in the past few years but you'll be fine if you're careful enough. 

I googled Minas Gerais - looks pretty cool!

11 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Not everybody likes going to small colonial towns. São Paulo is a great place for art, food, and nightlife. It's obviously not as stunning as Rio but one could easily enjoy themselves there for a few days.

Just take the normal precautions you would in any big city (don't talk to random people, don't walk down empty streets at night, don't flaunt your belongings, etc) and you'll be fine

59 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not everybody likes going to small colonial towns. São Paulo is a great place for art, food, and nightlife. It's obviously not as stunning as Rio but one could easily enjoy themselves there for a few days.

Just take the normal precautions you would in any big city (don't talk to random people, don't walk down empty streets at night, don't flaunt your belongings, etc) and you'll be fine

Sao Paulo is 20+ million people crowded in unorganized, unattractive buildings. I'd rather recommend Salvador... you get a beautiful albeit slightly decaying city + a taste of the Northeast which is the most interesting part of the country imo.

You'll be fine. Just take regular tourist precautions, especially at night.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me!

31 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Sao Paulo is 20+ million people crowded in unorganized, unattractive buildings. I'd rather recommend Salvador... you get a beautiful albeit slightly decaying city + a taste of the Northeast which is the most interesting part of the country imo.

You're acting like it's Jakarta or something :deadbanana2:

It still has some of the best cultural offerings in the entire country. Parque Ibirapuera, Museu Afro Brasi, MASP, Vila Madalena, Beco do Batman, Liberdade, etc is enough to have fun for a few days. Salvador is also worth visiting though.

It depends what part of the city you guys are going but you two should always be careful.

There is guy that has been stalking me for two weeks and is trying to sexually assault me and every time he shows up I need to carry a big ass rock in my hands just in case he tries something. And I live on one of the most secure places to live around this city so yeah lol Be careful. 

2 hours ago, Theus said:

It depends what part of the city you guys are going but you two should always be careful.

There is guy that has been stalking me for two weeks and is trying to sexually assault me and every time he shows up I need to carry a big ass rock in my hands just in case he tries something. And I live on one of the most secure places to live around this city so yeah lol Be careful. 

Omg sis, call the cops! :psyduck: Stay safe :dancehall: 

I live in Rio. Hit me up in case you need anything. 

2 hours ago, Theus said:

Better let his ass know not to  **** with you

xmwqqnN.gif

Now to answer your question... just don't look lost. Bypassers will definitely notice you're an outsider (especially depending on what you look like) and you might be an easy target. 

Don't pull out your cellphone unless it's really necessary. Lay low and look like you know what you're doing. Research.

It'd be great to know where you're actually going just so that I can give more detailed tips. 

It’s not worth being robbed tbh, go to your local Brazilian restaurant and call it a day lol

Having visited my home town in the Philippines, I can say personally as a Filipino-American, even your own people will see you as someone to threaten which is sad. A lot of third world countries are becoming more hostile nowadays

It is! My dad was there and he enjoyed the trip. Nothing bad happened to him :gaycat4:

-Dont go to the favelas or poor areas

-Dont buy drugs/dont hire scorts

-Be careful with the mobile (We have big problems with phone thieves in latinoamerica :emofish:)

Pull out your phone just for neccesary pics :gaycat3: :heart2: Be careful with your wallet too

On 4/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, KillingYourCareer said:

this. come to Minas. it's safer and more beautiful.

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, KillingYourCareer said:

Stan for my state :jonny5:

Don't ever go to Rio's downtown (Centro) alone, or go there with a local/guide that really know the place. Prefer places in the "south zone" to stay in, but even in the most 'safe' neighborhoods there (like Ipanema/Leblon) don't do ur errands alone and like the other user said don't look 'lost' and don't have your cellphone/other stuff exposed. Pay attention to this, be always vigilant about the things u're carrying, checking if they're still there because with brazilians you never know!