July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

120 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Vrx. said:

Well first thing’s first: have you ever owned a plant? What kind of plants do you like to look at? 

Nnn no never. And any, I like them all for the most part. 

8 hours ago, levi_valvi said:

@Vrx. if you just want the albo variegated monstera that should be easu enough to find. i see them all the time at my local plant shops. if you want the thai constellation you're gonna have to go online and find it. it's way prettier imo ofc that's a taste thing so.

anyways pretty sure they have it here: https://www.tropicaflora.nl/shop/monstera-deliciosa-thai-constellation/ 

but you can find it many places online. it's not really that expensive i think

she talks briefly about the difference:

I’m in the USA 

Will they ship to me? 

6 hours ago, Funhouse said:

Look what just came in the mail :alexz3:

r52Jo9B.jpg

Omg this is STUNNING! I’m posting mine this weekend! I need more 

3 minutes ago, Aciid said:

Get a succulent! Also don’t water it frequently. Like once or twice a month is enough. They have shallow roots mostly and don’t like wet feet at all. 

2 minutes ago, Vrx. said:

I’m in the USA 

Will they ship to me? 

oh you're in the US, you can use NSE tropicals then. they're AMAZING, ugh i love them, they have almost everything and they're decently priced, wish i could use them but i'm in europe so. at least we can use the dutch shops, they're good too

https://nsetropicals.com/index.html

6 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

oh you're in the US, you can use NSE tropicals then. they're AMAZING, ugh i love them, they have almost everything and they're decently priced, wish i could use them but i'm in europe so. at least we can use the dutch shops, they're good too

149$ for the monstera 

Ugh KILL ME :jonny6:

4 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

I would never have any money if I could buy from NSE so maybe them not shipping to Europe is for the best. :toofunny3:

Have you ever been to Stek in Rotterdam or Wildernis in Amsterdam? I have NEVER bought anything at Stek that didn't have some type of disease or pest.

5 hours ago, government_h said:

Plant lover here.

Used to have more than 500 different plants (100+ in my passionflower collection alone) up until a few years ago, when we moved from a house with garden into a flat with a tiny balcony and I had to give up 95% of my collection which sent me into a hefty depressive episode that's still ongoing, but... oh well. :eli:

Now there's only a few succulents, mostly asclepiadoideae left and I can't wait for them to bloom again this summer.

il_794xN.926143197_jh1o.jpgHuernia_zebrina_flower.jpg
(Not my pics, just an example of the succulents)

Looking forward to having a place with more space and maybe even a garden again, cause the local community gardens here are a damn mess. Always thought that gardeners and plant lovers would be more "balanced" and overall friendlier but jesus christ, I'm not gonna get into literal (physical) fights and childish mind games over choices of fertilizers, weeding methods or how I'm gonna build a trellis. :biblio:

Anyway, it's just so rewarding watching a seed grow into a big plant and bloom/fruit. :flower:

Omg sis please do 

Plants helped me when I wasn’t in a good state 

I have a porch garden and keep everything in teracotta and they love it! 

Okay sistrens do y’all know the best way to propogate a Yucca from it’s flowers?  My apartment has a Yucca plant right in front of my home and there are five new stalks about to bloom and I want to take some to pot for my own

6 hours ago, Funhouse said:

Look what just came in the mail :alexz3:

r52Jo9B.jpg

This is gorgeous :jonny5:

5 hours ago, government_h said:

Another succulent stan :clap3: 

So, I have a 400 square meters area to plant and I'm kinda lost. I know the central part will be grass. But I need to create a garden in the corners. I'd love to have one made entirely of flowers, but they are too damn difficult to maintain. So I'll keep the few lavanders I have and try some bushes and similar. I need recommendations of big plants, guys. 

Or, if you know flower plants that can have full sun all day, that would be nice too. 

Right now I'm a little obsessed with the desert rose. I already have 3 but I'm planning on buying one every month for a year and do something like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-fLFE2aKoCtolftLAfd1

29 minutes ago, Aciid said:

Pothos ivy are easy for me to keep alive inside and succulents are the best for outside because of the temperature here in Texas.  My fave atm are blue chalksticks and they grow so rapidly :smitten:

18 minutes ago, Funhouse said:

I would never have any money if I could buy from NSE so maybe them not shipping to Europe is for the best. :toofunny3:

Have you ever been to Stek in Rotterdam or Wildernis in Amsterdam? I have NEVER bought anything at Stek that didn't have some type of disease or pest.

ew wtf. but i'm not dutch btw, i'm danish, just use the dutch online stops (like replant). i take it you're dutch? (: 

PLsbtpj.jpg

AHqLryI.jpg

It grew so fast, until it decimated an ENTIRE ant colony and I believe the ant colony wore the plant out and it withered away and died :weeps:

I nick named it Victreebel :rip: 

This looks like a fun thread. I work at a local feed and lawn and garden store. My emphasis is trees and shrubs, I also enjoy perennials and annuals and veggie gardening. Here in Idaho we have a cold and wet winters and hot dry summers. So our plant selection for the garden is not the most exotic but I do enjoy what grows here throughly.  

I’m not the best with houseplants but I’m working on it right now I have an Aglaonema ‘Silver Bay’ and a Ctenanthe ‘Golden Mosiac’ and two air plants. I Also have a plumeria cutting I’m currently rooting. 

Here is my main insta, I post a lot of my gardening photos there as well as my vinyl stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwGRiqPBGpd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1pgnecnfogi81

This one is my photography insta most of the photos come out of the garden. 

https://www.instagram.com/bfab.photography

14 hours ago, levi_valvi said:

ew wtf. but i'm not dutch btw, i'm danish, just use the dutch online stops (like replant). i take it you're dutch? (: 

Ah I see. Yes, I am Dutch. Have you ever bought something at Araflora?

2 minutes ago, Funhouse said:

Ah I see. Yes, I am Dutch. Have you ever bought something at Araflora?

i have yeah. will buy from them again probably, they're good!

Just now, levi_valvi said:

i have yeah. will buy from them again probably, they're good!

only thing is they don't have THAT big of a philodendron selection

My sempervivum has already grown so much :'( ugh queen

My plants always die on me (even the ones that are supposed to be strong like cactus and aloe) and I am PRESSED

-XIu12.gif

I've always wanted to get into house plants, but I haven't gotten any beyond these snake plants a year and a half ago.

eKzEGWo.jpg

The Philodendron Billietiae I ordered from Thailand a while ago finally arrived! :party:

The package had been lost in the mail for weeks and I honestly never expected it would still come. She looks a little rough but I think she will make it!

vXiygHH.jpg

6 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

My plants always die on me (even the ones that are supposed to be strong like cactus and aloe) and I am PRESSED

-XIu12.gif

I currently own almost 100 rare and difficult plants, some of which are not usually kept as houseplants because they don't necessarily thrive indoors and require special care, and I STILL can't keep cactuses and succulents alive :toofunny3:

Sometimes the 'easier' plants just don't take well to the atmosphere in your house

Does anyone have recommendations for good plants to feed bugs to? I keep finding beetles in my house and venus fly traps are boring.