Why does no one talk about Indonesia?

77 posts in this topic

TomTom2288

Indonesia is the fourth biggest country in the world and bigger than Brazil.

Yet, I don't think I recall ever reading something about Indonesia among Western media - unlike all other countries in this list and also smaller countries.

Maybe I am just ignorant, but I'd consider myself a politically interested person, but genuinely don't know anything about Indonesia apart from the fact that it is a Muslim-majority country and consists of lots of islands.

Why is that?

K6sVqEB.png

Jealous

What do you want to hear from us? :coffee2:

AvrilLaQueen

media only talks about nature disasters that happen there :doc: 

TomTom2288
3 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Like...everything. I know nothing about Indonesia and it feels bad :dancehall:

1 minute ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

This :doc:

Jagger
7 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Are the men hot there?

Symmetra

Not China and India hosting almost 40% of the worlds population. Electric condoms.

1 minute ago, Jagger said:

Are the men hot there?

Mess

Lemonaade

On a different note: I can’t believe both China and India have over 1 BILLION more people that third place :/

Qudron

whatever happens there doesn't affect people on the other side of the world

Jealous
10 minutes ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

And the increasing religious extremism :'(

8 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

Like...everything. I know nothing about Indonesia and it feels bad :dancehall:

Maybe Bali rings a bell. :gaycat4: Jokes aside, are you asking like in the news or meeting an Indonesian overseas?

6 minutes ago, Jagger said:

Are the men hot there?

If you go to big cities yeah you can find typical IG gays. Bali has its niche gay club scene as well.

Genius1111

Indonesia is having a GE in 16 days, FYI.

TomTom2288
1 minute ago, Jealous said:

And the increasing religious extremism :'(

I've researched stuff about Indonesia yesterday and found an article writing that people have been whipped in public for having extramarital sex :skull:

A mess :rip:

2 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Maybe Bali rings a bell. :gaycat4:

Yeah, it does.

Jokes aside, are you asking like in the news or meeting an Indonesian overseas?

No, just in general. It's just because you see this list with the biggest countries in the world and know something about everyone (even recent things), but when it comes to Indonesia, there is just emptiness in my head :toofunny2:

The Philippines, for example, are a neighbor country of Indonesia and not even half as big, yet you read from time to time about Duterte and his barbaric measures in Western media.

4 minutes ago, Genius1111 said:

Indonesia is having a GE in 16 days, FYI.

:duca:

Mrnoniee
10 minutes ago, Jealous said:

If you go to big cities yeah you can find typical IG gays. Bali has its niche gay club scene as well.

Isn't that a islamic country?

Jealous
5 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

I've researched stuff about Indonesia yesterday and found an article writing that people have been whipped in public for having extramarital sex :skull:

A mess :rip:

Yeah, it does.

No, just in general. It's just because you see this list with the biggest countries in the world and know something about everyone (even recent things), but when it comes to Indonesia, there is just emptiness in my head :toofunny2:

The Philippines, for example, are a neighbor country of Indonesia and not even half as big, yet you read from time to time about Duterte and his barbaric measures in Western media.

:duca:

Well the last big news that happened here was when we got our first Christian governor who is not of native Indonesian descent (he's Chinese) and he was sent to jail for alleged blasphemy which the liberals and I believe a is a form of racial and religious discrimination. Idk if that made news in the West but it was huge and intense here.

NMiguelCosta

zwVA5TA.png

I stan Indonesia like they stan for Blackpink. :alexz:

TomTom2288

Well the latest big news here was when we got our first Christian governor who is not of native Indonesian descent (he's Chinese) and he was sent to jail for alleged blasphemy which the liberals and I believe a is a form of racial and religious discrimination. Idk if that made news in the West but it was huge and intense here.

OMG, poor man :deadbanana:

Jealous
3 minutes ago, Mrnoniee said:

Isn't that a islamic country?

Bali is the only Hindu-majority province so they're more relaxed about homosexuality. The Islamists in Java are attempting to Islamize Bali though, they just won't let us have some fun even if the locals are indifferent about it :'(

HonourableVomit

girl... the muslims.. 

antoine_

The world cares only for Europe and North America sorry

Marianah Adkins

Indonesia while a big economy and player in itself, just does not hold that much bearing or influence in world affairs at the moment. Look out tho for the elections; a possible right wing fundamentalist president will be a huge deal, the same way Duterte's barbarism has made a huge splash worldwide about the rise of right wingers.

TomTom2288
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Indonesia while a big economy and player in itself, just does not hold that much bearing or influence in world affairs at the moment.

That makes sense. I wonder why that is though :huh:

4 minutes ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Look out tho for the elections; a possible right wing fundamentalist president will be a huge deal, the same way Duterte's barbarism has made a huge splash worldwide about the rise of right wingers.

:doc:

But isn't their current president kind of popular? At least that's what it says on Wikipedia...

Marianah Adkins
1 minute ago, TomTom2288 said:

That makes sense. I wonder why that is though :huh:

:doc:

But isn't their president kind of popular? At least that's what it says on Wikipedia...

Indonesia is stuck at the middle of sorts. It has a large economy but its income level is middle class at most, same level as Thailand and Philippines, and lower than Malaysia. Even then, its not the type of large economy that depends on exports (its biggest exports are natural resources) but rather domestic consumption and services, meaning that it doesnt have the clout to economically influence other countries and are rather the ones being influnced by the richer countries due to its large domestic base. Neoliberalism at its finest.

As for its president, yeah Widodo is popular and is a much better candidate than the Suharto general he defeated last election @Jealous would know the tea about this.

What I meant tho was that considering the rising Islamic fundamentalism in Indonesia (which I honestly dont really understand why), an Islamist president is very possible in the future, and if elected, it would have huge implications in world affairs, given that Indonesia is the world's largest Muslim country which might give us Islamic Revolution Part 2. Ofc Im just theorizing and speculating but everything is a cycle. 

TomTom2288
1 minute ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Indonesia is stuck at the middle of sorts. It has a large economy but its income level is middle class at most, same level as Thailand and Philippines, and lower than Malaysia. Even then, its not the type of large economy that depends on exports (its biggest exports are natural resources) but rather domestic consumption and services, meaning that it doesnt have the clout to economically influence other countries and are rather the ones being influnced by the richer countries due to its large domestic base. Neoliberalism at its finest.

As for its president, yeah Widodo is popular and is a much better candidate than the Suharto general he defeated last election @Jealous would know the tea about this.

What I meant tho was that considering the rising Islamic fundamentalism in Indonesia (which I honestly dont really understand why), an Islamist president is very possible in the future, and if elected, it would have huge implications in world affairs, given that Indonesia is the world's largest Muslim country which might give us Islamic Revolution Part 2. Ofc Im just theorizing and speculating but everything is a cycle. 

That's so interesting, thanks for the information.

And yes, your last paragraph makes sense too. Imagine Indonesia evolving into a second Pakistan - financing islamist terror around the world. A mess :hoetenks:

Jealous
6 minutes ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Whew you've been reading a lot haven't you, everything is spot on :clap3:

The reason why Islamism is rising is due to the influx of Arab immigrants here. I'm getting out of this country if it gets nasty. I'm liberal-leaning and my queer ass won't be safe :jonny:

Marianah Adkins
3 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

That's so interesting, thanks for the information.

And yes, your last paragraph makes sense too. Imagine Indonesia evolving into a second Pakistan - financing islamist terror around the world. A mess :hoetenks:

Its a scary thought indeed

but Indonesia has a chance to not reach that conclusion ultimately because it is a technical demoracy, an initially secular country and is a multicultural society. Pakistan and Iran never had those factors, in which they were ethnostates and autocracies.

Little Joannester

I'm Dutch so i know about Indonesia. I have lots of married Indo(-European) and fully Indonesian family as well. I'm also always shocked that Indonesian isn't an option when asked for favourite cuisine cause nothing is better.

Can't wait to visit Java and Bali someday.