Jump to content
Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ecuador: Same-sex Marriage Legalized Through Court

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For the first time, Ecuador's Constitutional Court heard a case regarding same-sex marriage. The country has civil unions since 2008, but a constitutional ban on marriage rights at the same time.

 

The plaintiffs argue that the Inter-American Court's ruling that forced Costa Rica to accept ssm (it will be allowed there in 2020 at the latest) is binding on all members, and that includes Ecuador.

 

 

In the end, they got same-sex marriage without having to appeal to the IACHR :clap3: The vote was 5-4.

 

Half of Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Costa Rica*, Ecuador, Chile(soon enough), Panama (case pending) - Latin America's star is born :jonny6:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the verdict comes out shortly after :duca:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh wow even though public opinion ain't really for it so far they better get on with the times :clap3: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already 1 Yes vote :fan:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any minute now :jonny5:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, selenacantsinglol said:

Mess

What’s happening 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

c'mon!! :duca: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jgorny said:

What’s happening 

Postpone again :rip: I hope it's like Colombia where it was postponed and we still got a Yes :dancehall:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did it! 5-4

:clap3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:celestial4:What a beautiful day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, this is so beautiful to see :clap3: 

 

Also Legend X's impact :eli: 

 

Image result for Christina Aguilera winking gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow incredible 

is it the first country to legalize this in South America?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Halcyon Nights said:

Wow incredible 

is it the first country to legalize this in South America?

Most of South America has done it.

 

The ones in dark blue:

661px-State_recognition_of_same-sex_rela

The heat is on in Chile where more politicians who campaigned on passing it were voted in, while their President is against it. They have to pass it eventually though because the country signed an agreement with the Inter-American Court to avoid drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LuLuDrops said:

Most of South America has done it.

 

The ones in dark blue:

661px-State_recognition_of_same-sex_rela

The heat is on in Chile where more politicians who campaigned on passing it were voted in, while their President is against it. They have to pass it eventually though because the country signed an agreement with the Inter-American Court to avoid drama.

I have a gay friend in Peru i hope they’ll legalize it too :dancehall:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Halcyon Nights said:

I have a gay friend in Peru i hope they’ll legalize it too :dancehall:

There's a court case pending :duca: Even if they lose at home the IAHC will issue the same ruling that forced Costa Rica to do it. Sams with anyone else in the Americas :nicole:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:smitten2:

 

Peru and Chile should be next

 

Venezuela, Bolivia and Paraguay though :sadviolin:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chemist said:

:smitten2:

 

Peru and Chile should be next

 

Venezuela, Bolivia and Paraguay though :sadviolin:

 

The flops of South America, they can rot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fantastic news. :clap3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
On 3/29/2019 at 5:22 PM, LuLuDrops said:

For the first time, Ecuador's Constitutional Court heard a case regarding same-sex marriage. The country has civil unions since 2008, but a constitutional ban on marriage rights at the same time.

 

The plaintiffs argue that the Inter-American Court's ruling that forced Costa Rica to accept ssm (it will be allowed there in 2020 at the latest) is binding on all members, and that includes Ecuador.

 

 

In the end, they got same-sex marriage without having to appeal to the IACHR :clap3: The vote was 5-4.

 

Half of Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Costa Rica*, Ecuador, Chile(soon enough), Panama (case pending) - Latin America's star is born :jonny6:

and will be pending forever... my country is a mess when it comes to "gay" things... #blamethechurch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so proud of being Latino right now

congrats Ecuador 🇪🇨 greetings from Mexico 🇲🇽 

 

:alexz:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chemist said:

:smitten2:

 

Peru and Chile should be next

 

Venezuela, Bolivia and Paraguay though :sadviolin:

 

Venezuela would've legalized it 2-3 years ago if it wasn't for the fact that they have other things to think of.

 

Ecuador :clap3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yaaas. :clap3:

 

My country could never.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0