Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Was 25 era an underperformance?

25 posts in this topic

Not the album sales of course, but the era... i dont remember anything other than Hello. It was kinda like Reputation, huge sales at first then the era fizzled out

i mean everybody owned all the songs from it, not much the singles could do at that point to sustain the album presence

• Just now, BadX said:

i mean everybody owned all the songs from it, not much the singles could do at that point to sustain the album presence

everybody owned 21 too by the time SLY smashed but then she had more hits from it

If that was an underperformance, what the hell even counts as a successful era anymore?

2 minutes ago, That Bad Eartha said:

If that was an underperformance, what the hell even counts as a successful era anymore?

thank u, next..............:lipton:

Um, not when all of its singles are known by the GP and constantly getting covered by people/ Youtubers. Chart peaks don't mean sh*t. 

Posted (edited)

Any artist today would kill to have an “underperforming” era like 25. 

3 minutes ago, leon86 said:
  • everybody owned 21 too by the time SLY smashed but then she had more hits from it

Actually around 5M copies of 21 were sold in the US at the time SFTTR became the third single there. It sold 4.4M copies during 2012.

25 sold nearly 8M copies in first 6 weeks.

Wasn't Send My Love like an international hit?

In what world is 25 era an underperformance?

leon86

The era was so massive and Hello was so massive that it literally just overshadowed the other singles, and they were released messy. But 25 was still a huge era.

Only on ATRL would someone think an album that literally set sales records was an underperformance because of its singles' peaks on the US Hot 100 :priceless:

Singles wise yes

leon86

Omg no lol, do you remember how much it’s sold/all the records it broke??

38 minutes ago, leon86 said:

Not the album sales of course, but the era... i dont remember anything other than Hello. It was kinda like Reputation, huge sales at first then the era fizzled out

No era managed to be this successful since then so...i'd say no. Unless every single era since then was a flop.

And "I don't remember anything other than Halo"?

When We Were Young peaked at #9 in the UK and #15 in the USA

Send My Love was #5 in the UK and #8 in the USA

Both were platinum in both the UK and USA.

Atrl...

8 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

No era managed to be this successful since then so...i'd say no. Unless every single era since then was a flop.

And "I don't remember anything other than Halo"?

When We Were Young peaked at #9 in the UK and #15 in the USA

Send My Love was #5 in the UK and #8 in the USA

Both were platinum in both the UK and USA.

Not to mention singles after Hello were bound to ""underperform"" because the parent album sold like 8 million pure in the US alone before they became singles. Everyone basically owned and heard them. In fact, I was surprised SML still reached top 10 :dies:

Posted (edited)

NO. If you take out Hello and 25's album sales in 2015 from the era, it would still be successful.

Like:

25's sales in 2016 onwards are more than 3 million units, with around 2.4 million pure sales

When We Were Young is a US top 15 hit, Send My Love is a US top 10 hit, and Water Under the Bridge is a US top 30 hit

EDIT: Forgot to mention that these numbers are in the US only.

Only on the singles side.

When We Were Young should've been replaced by All I Ask, and a Million Years Ago after Water Under the Bridge. 

:jonny4: Could you IMAGINE Ryan Tedder's royalty cheques for this project?  Greg Kurstin too. 

It didn't underperform but it's pretty much forgotten at this point. People only remember 21 so her next era will definitely flop/underperform. 

it literally won AOTY

Compared to its predecessor? Yes. In general? No.