HDD: Physical outsells digital in US in 2019 so far

Samson

• ATRL Moderator

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_1222276611.jpeg

The equivalent of nearly 125m albums has been sold and streamed through 3/14. Nearly 100m equivalents come from streaming, representing 77.5%.

Physical albums have logged north of 13m units so far this year, with a 10.5% share (CDs 8%, LPs 2.5%).

Digital albums and tracks now make up only 6.7% and 5.3% of the market, respectively. 

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=315730

digital sales being stomped out this quickly :skull: ngl i would welcome back CD singles just for the kii.

Edited by eaucitronnée

Goodbye iTunes it’s been fun except for when you couldn’t find the artwork and I had to google it and upload it manually gee that was a bitch 

Digital sales truly took the biggest L when streaming came through.

7 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Goodbye iTunes it’s been fun except for when you couldn’t find the artwork and I had to google it and upload it manually gee that was a bitch 

Making my own covers was the best part for me lowkey :jonny2:

there will ALWAYS be a market for physical for obvious reasons but wtf is the point of digital nowadays? with streaming there literally is ZERO reason to download an album on itunes :skull:

now artists better make interesting physical packages, go take notes from Kpop :cm:

If you’re gonna spend money on a form of music may as well get a tangible item. But with track and album combined it beats out CDs so she has that win there :1stplace:

5 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

My collection of almost 1000 CDs just sits there. :'( Not even worth selling. :bibliahh:

Maybe one day they’ll become slightly collectable like vinyl. 

11 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Maybe one day they’ll become slightly collectable like vinyl. 

I think it will be relevant again in 2025-2030.

26 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Shallow being the last iTunes hit. :clap3:

Plus still being a streaming hit too :clap3:

12 minutes ago, Paula Abdul said:

I think it will be relevant again in 2025-2030.

No way miss Paula Abdul. Physical CDs / Vinyls have that tangible value. Theres absolutely no pt in having a digital version of sth that everyone can have and u cant really show anyone that... Like u open your computet and say "hey I have a digital version of this album" while the interface of streaming an album looks exactly the same :rip:

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA

Not surprised tbh

at least physicals can function as a collectible, digital has nothing

36 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

My collection of almost 1000 CDs just sits there. :'( Not even worth selling. :bibliahh:

nostalgia's just for geeks :'(

57 minutes ago, Judas Bertha said:

there will ALWAYS be a market for physical for obvious reasons but wtf is the point of digital nowadays? with streaming there literally is ZERO reason to download an album on itunes :skull:

Well sometimes I just want to support my less successful faves and buy a digital copy. 

I will just stream mega successful A list artists (even if some of them are my faves) nowadays. They are already rich af.

i'm here for physical to make a come back like vinyl :duca: 

I would be ecstatic if physical singles make a comeback 

Proofs that physical albums are still a thing. At least for the fans! We like to have something in our hands, something phsyical of our faves.

besides that, I buy every album I love. I don’t trust streaming services when it comes to the future. What if internet is gonna end one day because of a war of something like that. Besides that, the whole package of a album can change the vibe of the music too... 

Shallow coming for 1M pure sales in the US in no time despite that :fan:

First song to sell 100K+ in a week in 2019 :eddie:

5 hours ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

Making my own covers was the best part for me lowkey :jonny2:

This. I hope digital sales stay.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.