Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Parkland shooting survivor commits suicide

32 posts in this topic

screen-shot-2019-03-22-at-10-25-46-am.png

On the day a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Sydney Aiello escaped with her life. However, the grief of losing 17 of her classmates and teachers, as well as the long-lasting effects of enduring such a traumatic event, weighed heavily on her. And this weekend, at the age of 19, Aiello took her own life.

Sydney's mother, Cara Aiello, told CBS Miami that her daughter struggled with survivor's guilt and was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder in the year following the tragedy. And while she reportedly never asked for help, she struggled to attend college classes because she was scared of being in a classroom.

Sydney was also a close friend of Meadow Pollack, one of the students who was shot and killed in the Parkland shooting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/parkland-shooting-survivor-sydney-aiello-takes-her-own-life/

Rest easy sweet angel :weeps:

This awful. I hope she's at peace now :cries:

Oh no cant imagine how miserable her life was after the shooting. Rest In Peace 

Survivor guilt is real thing! May she rest in peace

That’s so sad.

I’m not for state sanctioned killing but I kinda wouldn’t mind if that twisted f**k of a shooter got the death penalty.

Aww :weeps: 

I feel so deeply for her family. Rest in peace, beautiful angel. :weeps: 

We need leadership like New Zealand, the effects of these mass shooting last far longer ruins too many lives 

5 minutes ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

We need leadership like New Zealand, the effects of these mass shooting last far longer ruins too many lives 

This.

Mass shooting in NZ and the PM immediately draws up stricter gun safety legislation.

Mass shooting in US and the POTUS quickly issues an NRA press release.

Ah yeah heard news of that this past weekend. Made me cry. So sad :frown:

Oh dear... This is so sad.

that's so sad wow....rip

33 minutes ago, Divine said:

Sydney's mother, Cara Aiello, told CBS Miami that her daughter struggled with survivor's guilt and was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder in the year following the tragedy. And while she reportedly never asked for help, she struggled to attend college classes because she was scared of being in a classroom.

This part kills me. I can only imagine going through such a traumatic event and then having to attend college where literally going to class can trigger a PTSD-induced flashback. That's so regrettable and this was such meaningless loss of life. My heart goes out to her family because I can't imagine what they're going through. :frown:

Ugh **** like this makes me so angry

The NRA is a terrorist organization at this point and all of its leaders should be executed

RIP to this angel 

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

This part kills me. I can only imagine going through such a traumatic event and then having to attend college where literally going to class can trigger a PTSD-induced flashback. That's so regrettable and this was such meaningless loss of life. My heart goes out to her family because I can't imagine what they're going through. :frown:

Thats the same part that got me. Man I feel so bad for this young lady and her family. I also feel bad that nothingb will be done about it. 

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Ugh I agree! 

Someone should have intervened and helped her to get help and post pone college for a year or two until she was mentally and emotionally stable. Imagine going to college with survivors guilt and PTSD while getting so much studying, assignments, and exams shoved in your face. 

RIP brave angel 😭

Posted (edited)

RIP. Wish things like this didn’t happen.

There needs to be stricter gun control laws. I was in an almost-school shooting a couple years ago and it’s scary as hell. Even before that happened, I’d feel so cautious being in class, movie theaters, etc. because of all of these type of stories. 

You know something’s wrong when you can literally buy guns at Walmart.

7 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I get extremely uneasy just having to talk about past traumatic event, imagine her having to sit in class and having to go through all of that again in her head from time to time, and the scariest thing, her still being in the US, it could still just happen again  :cries:

This is sad but I don't understand why her family never took her to therapy? But well, may she rest in peace.

8 minutes ago, Adonis said:

Thats the same part that got me. Man I feel so bad for this young lady and her family. I also feel bad that nothingb will be done about it. 

6 minutes ago, Luner45 said:

Ugh I agree! 

Someone should have intervened and helped her to get help and post pone college for a year or two until she was mentally and emotionally stable. Imagine going to college with survivors guilt and PTSD while getting so much studying, assignments, and exams shoved in your face. 

RIP brave angel 😭

2 minutes ago, MardinBeksloy said:

I get extremely uneasy just having to talk about past traumatic event, imagine her having to sit in class and having to go through all of that again in her head from time to time, and the scariest thing, her still being in the US, it could still just happen again  :cries:

I wish she had felt brave enough to seek a mental health professional to discuss the trauma more thoroughly. Maybe she would have been suggested to consider online courses instead so she can pursue her education without having to be in a classroom. I'm just so heartbroken over this and this just infuriates me for her. The NRA is a ****ing terrorist organization as far as I'm concerned and I'm reminded of all the bull****  attacks the right-wing had against her and the other survivors. Something needs to be done about gun violence because this **** isn't ****ing acceptable.

yeah survivor's guilt is hard + her struggles with college must have made things worse.