Zero Tolerance for Hate Speech Read more... ×

90% of 7 Rings royalties go to dead sample writers

185 posts in this topic

DancingShoes
Posted (edited)

merlin_147857643_7189e28e-ba90-4c7d-89b5-eb2aa2085a80-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

But when it comes to royalties for “7 Rings,” the biggest winner may be two songwriters who died decades ago: Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Ms. Grande’s song is an extended reinterpretation of “My Favorite Things” from “The Sound of Music,” with Ms. Grande changing the original’s lyrics about innocent joys — “raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens” — to an anthem of empowerment through conspicuous consumption. “Breakfast at Tiffany’s and bottles of bubbles,” she sings, over a bass-heavy beat. “Buy myself all of my favorite things.”

The song is credited to a total of 10 writers. But two of them — Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II — control 90 percent of the songwriting royalties, a remarkable split that reflects the value of evergreen song catalogs, and of the negotiating leverage their owners have when pop stars come seeking permission.

In an especially speedy turnaround, the deal for “7 Rings” was decided a few weeks before the song’s release in January, when representatives for Ms. Grande and her label, Republic, brought the completed song to Concord, the music company that has owned the Rodgers and Hammerstein catalog since 2017. Concord requested 90 percent of Ms. Grande’s song, and her representatives accepted without further negotiation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/business/media/ariana-grande-7-rings-rodgers-hammerstein.html 

getinthezone

Queen of paying royalties

Divine

That's kind of ridiculous. Half I could maybe understand. 90% is excessive.

I'm sure it doesn't matter to Ariana, but she screwed over her co-writers by agreeing to that very unfair deal.

Katamari

dead at their estate making marvin gayes' look like saints 

Hza4zRC.gif

Burqa

so extra :rip: the sample is just for the verses

Flexus

90% is incredible, but I think they'd mostly be happy it got accepted.

Wonder how much the song has garnered in sales as of yet

Cain

That explains her stage design.

fridayteenage

it provides at least half of the song's redeeming value so

RudeBoy93

So the other 8 writers split 10¢ of every dollar the song makes. Tragic. The streaming is basically even worse 

R.E.M.
1 minute ago, Flexus said:

90% is incredible, but I think they'd mostly be happy it got accepted.

Wonder how much the song has garnered in sales as of yet

7 rings

U.S.: 3.1M SPS

WW: 5.7M SPS

DancingShoes

I always find royalties talk so interesting.

LoveLiveMusic

Some estates are laughing their way to the bank.

Madonna paid out $5000 each to the estates of Ginger Rogers, James Dean, Jean Harlow and Marlon Brando. And then for the MDNA Tour Brando's estate wanted $20,000 and since no artist was allowed to hold more weight that would mean $20,000 for each.

Harranger

Isn’t 90% a bit too much? :deadbanana4:

Bribe

It goes with the theme of the song. She's so rich she can just give away 90% of the royalties. Her mind :jonny6:

good_enough888

i think it's totally fair. 7 rings sucks without the sample of my favorite things. And Ari is a broadway girl so she knew what was up.

squishy

They overvalued it thinking it would be talked down but were left uncontested :skull: iconic business deal

liberalmusiclover

LMAO. They finessed her. 

Anthem

Rodger & Hammerstein are legends :clap3: