r/watchpeopledie & r/gore now BANNED from Reddit

133 posts in this topic

St. Francis

The subreddits /r/watchpeopledie and /r/gore have been scrubbed from the popular social networking site after users continued to share video of the tragedy in violation of Reddit’s terms of service.

Reddit banned two contentious but popular groups that regularly featured human injury and death following the widespread sharing of videos of the New Zealand terrorist incident on Friday.

The social network moved to eliminate the /r/watchpeopledie and /r/gore subreddits less than 24 hours after a shooter killed at least 49 people at two mosques in Christchurch and streamed the event live on Facebook. Internet users were able to capture the video before Facebook took it down, uploading clips of the incident on platforms including Twitter and YouTube. People then shared links to those videos in the now-banned Reddit groups, which critics and some Reddit users had questioned for years.

Reddit’s decision to remove /r/gore and the seven-year-old /r/watchpeopledie subreddits illustrates the tensions social networks face as they police content that violates their rules in real time. Since the incident, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, and Twitter have all struggled to keep video of the massacre from spreading, playing a game of digital whack-a-mole as users uploaded content that continued to avoid the detection of algorithms and content moderators.

On Thursday night, a Reddit spokesperson told BuzzFeed News that /r/watchpeopledie, where links led to videos of people being executed or hit by cars, was allowed on the site because it provided a service to members — some of whom the company said were medical professionals or first responders — to learn about or cope with death.

A Reddit user who asked to be identified as “Alex” said she had followed /r/watchpeopledie for a a few weeks, watching footage that included videos of people being shot and set on fire in executions. The videos she said, helped her understand the “actual cost of life.”

“But when I watched clips of the New Zealand video — it became even more devastating,” she said to BuzzFeed News. “It made right-wing extremism not just something [on] paper.”

“I think people would take the shooting a lot more seriously if they saw the video,“ she added.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/reddit-bans-groups-death-gore-new-zealand-massacre-video

eaucitronnée

:clap3: good

was allowed on the site because it provided a service to members — some of whom the company said were medical professionals or first responders — to learn about or cope with death.

this is particularly interesting though. from what i've heard, the people who typically browse there are edgelords. but this is very very interesting

Arxane

r/watchpeopledie was just quarantined not too long ago.

That subreddit taught me mundane things and daily activities that can literally kill you when you least expected.

Sad.

St. Francis
2 minutes ago, eaucitronnée said:

:clap3: good

this is particularly interesting though. from what i've heard, the people who typically browse there are edgelords. but this is very very interesting

What is an edgelord?

FakeHappy

r/watchpeopledie was one of my favorite sub-reddits i’m sad it got taken down.

DemiLov

I mean why do people want to see it 

Ryuuchan_X

They ban these two harmless subs they won’t ban the Donald subreddit smh 

Tira
1 minute ago, DemiLov said:

Tbh

eaucitronnée
3 minutes ago, Messiah St. West said:

What is an edgelord?

people who deliberately say offensive or edgy things to appear edgy

Ohno

I really liked r/watchpeopledie for some reason. Watching people die is hella weird and interesting.

LookinIn
2 minutes ago, Ryuuchan_X said:

They ban these two harmless subs they won’t ban the Donald subreddit smh 

they'd lose ALOT of business if they banned the Donald subreddit. 

FakeHappy
Just now, Ohno said:

I really liked r/watchpeopledie for some reason. Watching people die is hella weird and interesting.

me too. it helped desensitize me and made me thankful that i’m alive. it’s a shame that it was taken down. i guess i’ll go to liveleak...

ChrisTheLoner

Good they should've never existed in the first place.

NMiguelCosta

Tell me when they ban r/kpopfap and then I'll care. 

Arxane
1 minute ago, DemiLov said:

I frequent the r/watchpeopledie subreddit.

Typically there are beheadings, suicides, shootings etc... I avoid those because, well, people die in those, as expected.

The ones I want to see are those that are out of the ordinary.

Like a dad piggybacking their son and he fell backwards, which snapped the child's neck.

Or a man walking down a sloped sidewalk and slid, there was no middle bar on the siderails he was holding on to and he fell headfirst on the street just as a truck runs by.

Or a man opening a truckful of sand and unfortunately he got crushed with it.

This really made me aware on how fragile a human is and that almost anything can kill you given the right yet unfortunate circumstances.

infrared

I went on a death forum once...it's funny how people keep commenting they don't want to look but secretly they do. 

BraveNewSeth
9 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

they'd lose ALOT of business if they banned the Donald subreddit. 

Nah, that sub is like 80% bots

DemiLov
2 minutes ago, Arxane said:

Typically there are beheadings, suicides, shootings etc... I avoid those because, well, people die in those, as expected.

Hide contents

Like a dad piggybacking their son and he fell backwards, which snapped the child's neck.

Or a man walking down a sloped sidewalk and slid, there was no middle bar on the siderails he was holding on to and he fell headfirst on the street just as a truck runs by.

This really made me aware on how fragile a human is and that almost anything can kill you given the right yet unfortunate circumstances.

That's discusting. Genuinely can't tell if it's sarcasm it's THAT bad...

I guess yeah People are Fragile but surely that's common sense and normal people shouldn't need to watch someone dying to realise that but this is atrl..

americanlife

Glad those were taken down and glad I never knew about them until now.

Nurr
2 minutes ago, Arxane said:

Hide contents Hide contents

This really made me aware on how fragile a human is and that almost anything can kill given the right yet unfortunate circumstances.

7 minutes ago, XtinaPanicGodney said:

me too. it helped desensitize me and made me thankful that i’m alive. it’s a shame that it was taken down. i guess i’ll go to liveleak...

Wouldn't that make you afraid of doing.. ordinary "every day things"?

And if it desensitizes you how is that a good thing? Apart from it being helpful for medical professionals as mentioned in the article

Idgi

Arxane
Just now, DemiLov said:

That's discusting. Genuinely can't tell if it's sarcasm it's THAT bad...

I guess yeah People are Fragile but surely that's common sense and normal people shouldn't need to watch someone dying to realise that but this is atrl..

Nah not sarcasm. It's a casual reminder that death is just behind you.

But yeah... The posting of the New Zealand constantly on that sub was the tipping point.

Arxane
Just now, Selenurr said:

Wouldn't that make you afraid of doing.. ordinary "every day things"?

And if it desensitizes you how is that a good thing? Apart from it being helpful for medical professionals as mentioned in the article

Idgi

Just a reminder for to me be careful, especially to elevators, those things scare me now and well I'm a medical professional.

DemiLov
1 minute ago, Arxane said:

Nah not sarcasm. It's a casual reminder that death is just behind you.

But yeah... The posting of the New Zealand constantly on that sub was the tipping point.

Literally we could all die right now and we wouldn't even know.. I've avoided the NZ stuff it's depressing

Revolution

If this was one of your favorite subreddits, you most likely have sociopathic tendencies.