Japan requiring transgender people to be sterilized

18 posts in this topic

Divine

SHOULD TRANSGENDER people be sterilised before they are recognised? Earlier this year Japan’s Supreme Court decided that the answer is yes. Takakito Usui, a transgender man (ie, someone who was born female but identifies as male), had sued over a requirement that, to be officially designated a man, he has to have his ovaries and uterus removed (as well as have surgery to make his genitals look male, be over 20, single, have no minor children and have been diagnosed as suffering from “gender-identity disorder”). He argued that all this violated his right to self-determination and was therefore unconstitutional. The court disagreed.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/03/16/japan-says-transgender-people-must-be-sterilised

that G.U.Y.

Japanese governmenrt/society is more right wing than trump could ever be but leftists still fawn over the country. I dont get it!

firecrotch
Posted (edited)

Mess :rip: If he is doing hormone treatment and transitioning he should be allowed to change it.

AvrilLaQueen

jesus, the requirements :deadbanana4:

Lemonaade

Yeah I heard they’re very traditional over there. Sad but true :(.

atleast they’re not one of the countries that make being lgbt illegal

RightAsRain

Japan is and has always been low key a sadistic mess, they just cover it up with cute animes!

HANZ94

Japan and Korea as super conservative 

I remember dreaming about living there and I even wasted some of my time trying to learn Japanese and Korean 

bur Ive realized that a gay man like me has no future there and is better living in my country 

Cersei Lannister
6 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

Japanese governmenrt/society is more right wing than trump could ever be but leftists still fawn over the country. I dont get it!

They do this with Japan and Korea all the time yet keep reading Western Europe for stuff that happened over 100 years ago :skull:

jqnetto

I wonder what the transexuals have to say about it? Because I fail to see the big issue here.

jqnetto
7 minutes ago, firecrotch said:

Mess :rip: If he is doing hormone treatment and transitioning he should be allowed to change it.

Doesn't "transitioning" make them sterile anyway? 

firecrotch
5 minutes ago, jqnetto said:

Doesn't "transitioning" make them sterile anyway? 

I don't know the science behind it, but not permanently in the way surgery makes you sterile

Cersei Lannister
11 minutes ago, jqnetto said:

I wonder what the transexuals have to say about it? Because I fail to see the big issue here.

Many trans people don't have the means to get the surgery or simply don't want to, but after this ruling you HAVE to get the surgery (along with all the other requirements :skull:) to legally change your gender in Japan

Jude

I think I've read this already here. :huh:

DUA LIPA

only the most progressive countries on the continent of peace (according to twitter and tumblr) 

JOOjFT4.gif 

Trent W

Well the requirements are extreme tho, but at the end of the day they are just asking for a full transition to be recognized as such which you could say at least they are giving people a chance to do so, unlike those extreme countries that would kill someone for this.

The only people that are affected by this are the ones that can’t afford it which is sad.

Madonno
16 hours ago, RightAsRain said:

Japan is and has always been low key a sadistic mess, they just cover it up with cute animes!

That´s not true

Before USA invasion (19th century) they were very open to homosexual relationships. Is very well documented in books and paintings.

Was the occidental influence what messed up things in Japan.

Inverted

17 hours ago, that G.U.Y. said:

17 hours ago, Cersei Lannister said:

They do this with Japan and Korea all the time yet keep reading Western Europe for stuff that happened over 100 years ago :skull:

Why on earth should western people care about what happens in East Asian countries? Western people always love meddling and putting their nose everywhere. :rip:

As for leftists, they do not care about East Asians beyond buying Chinese takeout and eating sushi. :rip: 

3 hours ago, Trent W said:

Well the requirements are extreme tho, but at the end of the day they are just asking for a full transition to be recognized as such which you could say at least they are giving people a chance to do so, unlike those extreme countries that would kill someone for this.

The only people that are affected by this are the ones that can’t afford it which is sad.

There are no countries that have laws to kill transgender people. In fact, those countries you're thinking of often prefer encourage gender transition over homosexuality. In fact, many transgender people in Asian countries like Iran are actually gay men who thought it would be a more acceptable life.

FYI, people getting killed by governments for homosexuality isn't actually common.