Condolences to our New Zealand & Muslim members affected by the Christchurch mosque shootings Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why do ppl hate Avatar?

33 posts in this topic

Venturo

Gives me Titanic teas when it used to be the "highest grossing movie of all time" and everyone was ****ting on it online and then suddenly "we love her again" after Avatar snatched the record and now Avatar gets the hate lol these bandwagoners

"LOL so reductive, it's just Pocahontas or Ferngully in space"

Yeah well The Lion King for example is basically Hamlet with talking animals or literally Kimba the White Lion but no one cares? Star Wars, Harry Potter all copy the same Hero's Journey formula, etc.

Somehow it's only a problem for Avatar

"LOL forgotten, no cultural impact, fad"

Well duh, its not like a Harry Potter/Star Wars/MCU kinda deal where they pump out sequels, spin offs, prequels, almost YEARLY

It's a singular film from almost a decade ago with no attachment to an already existing book, comic book, trilogy franchise from the 70s and 2000s, etc.

Like wtf are ppl expecting? Even Titanic was based on a historical event which will always be relevant, Avatar came from nothing

Are ppl still talking about Inception? (a similarly singular film with no sequels and wasn't based on an already existing property)

YET whenever someone mentions "a dream within a dream" they know right away "Inception"

Whenever someone encounters a blue...thing or person (like the Will Smith as Genie fiasco from weeks ago) everyone was saying "LoL blue alien from Avatar" "LOL a smurf" etc.

The only way Avatar branched out to pop culture was through its theme park at Disney World and it's REALLY popular:

"The newest major expansion of Walt Disney World was the opening of the new land based on the Avatar films which took place in 2017. Guests apparently really wanted to check out the new rides, as WDW News Today reports that Disney's Animal Kingdom's attendance went up 15% year over year, an increase of almost 2 million visitors. All of the credit for the traffic increase goes to Pandora. Once people could visit the World of Avatar, Animal Kingdom’s attendance increased by roughly 30 percent!"

EDIT: Oh and in China they named a mountain after the movie lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_Hallelujah_Mountain

-

Anyway, people are now underestimating the Avatar sequels like how they did Titanic and the first Avatar, deja vu teas :fan: Can't wait for what's coming next

Tinasha

bc people were expecting a titanic like experience and the movie is just really bad 

Illuminati

Same reason they hated Despacito when it became big

Fitzswiftie

Because people hate anything successful

TaylorNation

Okay Avatar stan

Almighty Gaga
Posted (edited)

'Hate the popular' bandwagon

Blade Runner

They don't. The internet is a bubble. 

HotFriedChicken
25 minutes ago, Venturo said:

Yeah well The Lion King for example is basically Hamlet with talking animals or literally Kimba the White Lion but no one cares? Star Wars, Harry Potter all copy the same Hero's Journey formula, etc.

Actually I agree with this. The story of an outsider assimilating to another culture is hardly original.

26 minutes ago, Venturo said:

"LOL forgotten, no cultural impact, fad"

This is true. And you're delusional if you want to deny it. Moviegoers went to watch the movie and then INSTANTLY forgot about it. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who can even remember any of the characters names. You've compared it to Inception which was designed to be a 'hot for a summer' type movie. That's not the kind of movie that has lasting impact. Avatar was supposed give birth to a new generation of iconic moments a la "I'll never let go Jack" or the ongoing discussion about whether Jack could fit on the board or not

Nutitle

Some points were made

Venturo
7 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

Avatar was supposed give birth to a new generation of iconic moments a la "I'll never let go Jack" or the ongoing discussion about whether Jack could fit on the board or not

Lmao who said that? :rip: 

-

I gave concrete examples of how it's not forgotten, so no, the haters, bandwagoners are the delusional ones

"They INSTANTLY forgot the movie after watching it"

Yet it's the movie with most repeat viewings and longest legs at the box office just like Titanic :rip: 

Scotty
19 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

Same reason they hated Despacito when it became big

Some of us hate that song no matter its level of success. Chantaje >

Bloo

It’s a great movie. I’ve never understood it either. I can’t go back and rewatch it often because of its length, but I’ve always thought it was a phenomenal movie. The hate just comes off as joining the bandwagon of hating something that’s successful or mainstream to seem sophisticated or something. 

Eternium

Nobody hates it and that’s the problem. Nobody cares about it at all despite it being such a huge event. If it wasn’t for James Cameron or the technology involved, nobody would have ever even heard of the film.

PrinceJawbreaker

So pretentious.

“i wRoTe iT wHeN I WaS ElEvEn”

badgirlriri
32 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

Actually I agree with this. The story of an outsider assimilating to another culture is hardly original.

This is true. And you're delusional if you want to deny it. Moviegoers went to watch the movie and then INSTANTLY forgot about it. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who can even remember any of the characters names. You've compared it to Inception which was designed to be a 'hot for a summer' type movie. That's not the kind of movie that has lasting impact. Avatar was supposed give birth to a new generation of iconic moments a la "I'll never let go Jack" or the ongoing discussion about whether Jack could fit on the board or not

Honestly this is so true, everybody saying it's the "blue Pochahantas" but I honestly don't remember the plot at ALL, I don't think anybody else I know wold know either :skull:

loveisdead9582

I don’t hate the movie. Do I think it’s kind of a rehash of other movies/stories, yes. But I don’t hate it. I think it could have been as big as Star Wars or Harry Potter if they hadn’t waited 8+ years in between. I think the GP just got sick of hearing about the sequels that were “on the way” and still haven’t wrapped. 

Trent W

People love it :skull:

Is just the small circles in atrl and twitter that is hated.

xtina1

I think because it feels like a rehash of a lot of movies combined into one.

I am actually seeing it right now, before even I logged into ATRL tonight and its good but nothing groundbreaking. Star Wars and Harry Potter at least felt fresh and imo still feel fresh when you see them. I can't quite explain it. I mean, there's a reason that the Titanic has a bigger presence as its easier on the eyes and to take if you can understand what I'm saying.

Bimbo
1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

They don't. The internet is a bubble. 

Tea. Also it’s Disney World attraction is the best thing on earth.

BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

Not bad movie, just kinda boring for me idk. Wouldve saw the sequel if it came out but idk what's happening with that so yeah.

RobDeWittBukater

James Cameron's relentless STOMPAGE has the OJCH confused and frightened so they project their inner turmnoil onto His masterpieces

So sad.

h31.png

Mr.Fenty
18 hours ago, Venturo said:

"LOL so reductive, it's just Pocahontas or Ferngully in space"

there was no white savior in Lion King tho

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0