Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The National - ‘I Am Easy To Find’

145 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

boxer = sleep well beast > alligator > high violet = i am easy to find > trouble will find me

Blasphemy!!!

trouble will find me >  sleep well beast > im easy to find > high violet > boxer > the rest

All amazing albums. TWFM just has a special place in my heart and I know that album from front to back. The subject matters are very personal to me. Also their first album i ever bought. 

Boxer has some fillers for me, a few more than High Violet (which has some of their best songs)

Sleep Well Beast has amazing highs but 2-3 songs that i always skip.

I Am Easy To Find is extremely consistent but its highs (Light Years, Dust..., Quiet Light, Harpins, Kansas) dont reach the levels of other albums standouts. But it could change once i really get into this album this weekend. 

I loved SWB when it came out but it wasn’t until 2-3 weeks later that I became obsessed with it. 

Currently listening to Sleep Well Beast and Walk It Back lyrics are some of their best :jonny:

32 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

Blasphemy!!!

trouble will find me >  sleep well beast > im easy to find > high violet > boxer > the rest

to be fair, i have TWFM in last place but it’s still an 8.5/10  :eli:  they're the kings of consistency 

(TWFM is the one that suffers from fillers for me)

I'm new to this band after loving SWB. Do you guys not like their first record? I'm listening to it now and it's good!

1 minute ago, HausOfGerard said:

I'm new to this band after loving SWB. Do you guys not like their first record? I'm listening to it now and it's good!

self-titled? it’s just very old and very different for them. matt talked about it recently and said something about it being like a bunch of pimply middle-school photos for him, in that the band members are all kind of finding out their roles and their sound and not quite as locked in as they get later in their career. no shade to the good sis though 

1 minute ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

self-titled? it’s just very old and very different for them. matt talked about it recently and said something about it being like a bunch of pimply middle-school photos for him, in that the band members are all kind of finding out their roles and their sound and not quite as locked in as they get later in their career. no shade to the good sis though 

Interesting. I'm enjoying it ~

I'm going to listen to their records in order as I study for my last final

11 minutes ago, HausOfGerard said:

Interesting. I'm enjoying it ~

I'm going to listen to their records in order as I study for my last final

great study material!! good luck with that final xoxo

A score of 81 from 18 reviews including a 7.6 from p4k who commented 

Only the too-Arcade-Fire-for-comfort “Where Is Her Head” succumbs to grandiosity, prioritizing spectacle over purpose."

Is this a bad thing? They are always reaching :rip: 

But phew, another 80+ score in the basket :jonny5:

Can't wait to listen to this tonight

Listened to their catalog. All of their albums are good, even though Sleep Well Beast is still my absolute favorite @ultraviolence.xx

39 minutes ago, HausOfGerard said:

Can't wait to listen to this tonight

Listened to their catalog. All of their albums are good, even though Sleep Well Beast is still my absolute favorite @ultraviolence.xx

very much agreed! the only one i haven't heard all the way through is sad songs, but i've heard the first half and really liked it.

7 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

A score of 81 from 18 reviews including a 7.6 from p4k who commented 

Only the too-Arcade-Fire-for-comfort “Where Is Her Head” succumbs to grandiosity, prioritizing spectacle over purpose."

Is this a bad thing? They are always reaching :rip: 

But phew, another 80+ score in the basket :jonny5:

not gonna lie i was pressed at that, especially because WIIH is my favorite. but also, arcade fire? :skull:

3 minutes ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

very much agreed! the only one i haven't heard all the way through is sad songs, but i've heard the first half and really liked it.

Is this album as good as SWB?

Is this album as good as SWB?

not quite, in my opinion. nothing hits me quite the way the highs of that album do. it's not a major step down or anything, just doesn't match the peaks imo!

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, Indie said:

Honestly I think my issue with this album is the female vocalists. The depth and tone of Matt's voice has always been my favorite part of their music, and the female vocals kind of take me out of the atmosphere I'm used to from them.

THIS!

Honestly at first I didn’t cared so much about the female vocalist, but she’s in every single song and it became annoying :deadbanana:  During some songs I was like “When the f*ck is Matt singing!?” it was like listening some random girl singing featuring Matt, and it sucks because I know that if the same songs were sang by Matt only, they would be epic. But instead the result is a bunch of ok-pretty songs but no standout :( It was my first listen thought so I hope it growns on me... and hopefully they’ll release all the songs without the female vocalist :gaycat1:

Roman Holiday :jonny5:

I used to fall asleep to you talking to me
I don't listen to anything now
Nothing to do with us
I'm just so tired of thinkin' about everything
I'm not afraid of being alone
I just don't know what to do with my time
Between you and me
I thought it would all last a little while longer
But I'm learning to lie here in the quiet light
While I watch the sky go from black to gray
Learning how not to die inside a little
Every time I think about you and wonder if you are awake

:cries: 

Posted (edited)

This is probably my least favorite National album. Maybe it's a grower, but I found it very bland and just...meh. 

I was exhausted by the end and don't think I have the energy to listen to it much more

This is probably my least favorite National album. Maybe it's a grower, but I found it very bland and just...meh. 

I was exhausted by the end and don't think I have the energy to listen to it much more

You have to keep Quiet Light, Roman Holiday and Light Years. Discography highlights.

The album is definitely not easy to digest so it takes few listens to grasp everything. I think it’s my 3rd favorite National album right now. Also I found this easier to digest than High Violet which still has many fillers for my taste. 

Not In Kansas

You Had Your Soul With You

Roman Holiday

I love these 

1 minute ago, Blue Rose said:

You have to keep Quiet Light, Roman Holiday and Light Years. Discography highlights.

The album is definitely not easy to digest so it takes few listens to grasp everything. I think it’s my 3rd favorite National album right now. Also I found this easier to digest than High Violet which still has many fillers for my taste. 

Not In Kansas is one of my favorite songs from them right now, and I really enjoyed the opening track + Roman Holiday. The rest has been just a lot

Also, So Far So Fast is very Sleep Well Beast. I really like that one too

After long listening to this album. It’s not excellent as SWB but a really great solid album for sure and it’s such a grower.

Hairpin Turn stuck to me the most and I consider it’s one of my fave song from them and oh they really did that with Where Is Her Head didn’t they.

I'd rank it in the lower half of their discography but even an album in their lower half is still great. I agree that sometimes the female vocals are a bit overused and are more distracting than elevating. Not in Kansas to Hairpin Turns drags a little bit.

But Quiet Light and Rylan, wow.

Rylan you should try to get some sun

There's a little bit of hell in everyone

:heart2:

i'm listening for the first time. the use of the female vocals seems a bit gimmicky :katie: but i'm enjoying the songs themselves. i only know a couple of their tracks and this is in line with what i expected

The female vocals are definitely the worst part about it.

I like some tracks, but this is hands down their worst 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0