Condolences to our New Zealand & Muslim members affected by the Christchurch mosque shootings Read more... ×

Did Pretend Derail Tinashe's Career?

10 posts in this topic

trainsskyscrapers

She just had a debut top 30 hit with 2 On, and was on her way to crossover pop/urban stardom.

Instead of:

Feels Like Vegas

All Hands On Deck

How Many Times (f. Future)

Wildfire

or Bet

....She went with the snoozefest "Pretend"

that didn't chart and ended what potential 2 On created. 

Mother Earth

It certainly slowed her momentum down, but "Superlove" is the real career derailer. "All Hands on Deck", "All My Friends", and "Player" were all released after "Pretend" and all of them at least bubbled under (and performed better than Pretend at that). All of them still kept the crossover sound and all of those songs got pretty good airplay.

However "Superlove" really turned away her urban audiences, and people flat out stopped checking on her, and pairing that with incessant Joyride delays and confusion really ended any momentum she had from "2 On". She had a shot to rebound after "Pretend", as depicted by three of her singles performing decently after it, but RCA forcing her to go pop with "Superlove" was the final nail in the coffin to her momentum. And then RCA hammered another nail on top of THAT nail with "Flame". Nothing's performed the same after "Superlove". She hasn't had a music video crack 30M since, including "Superlove". Ugh. Hoping she can rebound now with a new label. "No Drama" at least charted at #123.

Madam X

Used to love Aquarius so much. Brings back memories. Tinashe deserves so much more. 

britkneepopboi
6 minutes ago, Mother Earth said:

It certainly slowed her momentum down, but "Superlove" is the real career derailer. "All Hands on Deck", "All My Friends", and "Player" were all released after "Pretend" and all of them at least bubbled under (and performed better than Pretend at that). All of them still kept the crossover sound and all of those songs got pretty good airplay.

However "Superlove" really turned away her urban audiences, and people flat out stopped checking on her, and pairing that with incessant Joyride delays and confusion really ended any momentum she had from "2 On". She had a shot to rebound after "Pretend", as depicted by three of her singles performing decently after it, but RCA forcing her to go pop with "Superlove" was the final nail in the coffin to her momentum. And then RCA hammered another nail on top of THAT nail with "Flame". Nothing's performed the same after "Superlove". She hasn't had a music video crack 30M since, including "Superlove". Ugh. Hoping she can rebound now with a new label. "No Drama" at least charted at #123.

isn't Superlove R&B tho? still it's sad the GP slept on it, it was such a bop and the MV slayed. 

Mother Earth
1 minute ago, britkneepopboi said:

isn't Superlove R&B tho? still it's sad the GP slept on it, it was such a bop and the MV slayed. 

I guess to be extremely specific, it's Miami bass which is a really outdated form of hip hop... regardless, it sounds like an '80's pop song to me. Definitely not the kind of music that her fans at the time were checking for.

arianacabaeo

i thought 2 on was a top 10 hit. it was so over played by the kids in my town when it came out. company deserved being top 10 tbh

Kiss It Better

of course, it's a known fact

she should've went with AHOD or Watch Me Work 

3 hours ago, Mother Earth said:

this is tea too, she had a chance to rebound with All My Friends (peaked at #102) and Watch Me Work which charted at #105 thanks to those fake youtube videos calling it's Rihanna's Work :fan: had they pushed Watch Me Work that time, she might have gotten more

Messiah St. West

Arcadius

I feel like Player is what truly turned the urban audience away from her.