Tennis legend says trans women playing sports is cheating

77 posts in this topic

Tennis great Martina Navratilova has been criticized after claiming it is a form of "cheating" for transgender women to be allowed to compete in women's sport.

The 18-time Grand Slam winner wrote in The Sunday Times that it was "insane" that "hundreds of athletes who have changed gender by declaration and limited hormone treatment have already achieved honors as women that were beyond their capabilities as men."

In December she was criticized after tweeting: "You can't just proclaim yourself a female and be able to compete against women. There must be some standards, and having a penis and competing as a woman would not fit that standard."

"To put the argument at its most basic: a man can decide to be female, take hormones if required by whatever sporting organization is concerned, win everything in sight and perhaps earn a small fortune, and then reverse his decision and go back to making babies if he so desires.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/tennis/martina-navratilova-trans-women-comments-spt-scli-intl/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=image&utm_content=2019-02-18T14%3A50%3A05&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2Bs4QqJoY36oELqFjh7l71sCdMDvTj6tWXr8kDGE-giodJIRhKUVxlYXE

thoughts?

So they have a biological predisposition that makes them better at some sports, so what? Certain races are better at some sports, like running. Following that logic, we should ban them from sports.

It's such a faulty way of thinking. I hope trans women OWN the world of sports in the future. 

Incredibly disappointing to hear from her since she's a lesbian. What we should not do is separate trans people even further than they already feel excluded from the LGBTQ community. 

This is a nuanced debate and I can understand arguments on both sides, but the very fact that she feels the need to bring up genitalia which is simply irrelevant to the conversation suggests her heart is not in the right place

Being called transphobic for saying this :rip: they still teach Biology at school, right? 

27 minutes ago, Pop said:

It's such a faulty way of thinking. I hope trans women OWN the world of sports in the future. 

No, it's not. Men are FAR superior than women physically. This Is just a fact. Look at any sport and the answers are just right there. What she argues is far more nuanced than what you want to reduce her argument to. Our bones and our muscle structure are not gonna change because someone starts hormone treatment at some point in life.

It's extremely unfair to women that have spent their entire lives sacrificing themselves in different disciplines to just lose against someone that has far physiological advantages than they do. And this is not just an Ethiopian female runner beating Canadian one. This is put a transwoman in here and she'll beat the Ethiopian regardless of her ethnic origin.

Pro-WTA players have been BEATEN for shame by amateur male players, for example.

It's a complicated debate that goes far beyond "If you don't accept trans people in your sport, you're transphobic."

It's true... Biological males have thousands of years of evolutionary advantage in hunting (throwing/running, etc). For example, the carrying angle of a male is 5*, which is optimal for throwing, while females is 15*. 

Is nobody going to mention that transgender tennis player Renee Richards (who literally COACHED Martina for a bit) agrees with her?

Renee was 45 years old and was still ranked 22 on the women's tour after transitioning. The advantages were clear.

it's true but that doesn't mean she should say it

Yeah, it's true but the fact she mentioned the penis, i don't know but martina sounds slightly bitter 

She has a point but her wording was terrible, she could've had said in a nicer way :rip: 

9 minutes ago, Timber said:

It's true... Biological males have thousands of years of evolutionary advantage in hunting (throwing/running, etc). For example, the carrying angle of a male is 5*, which is optimal for throwing, while females is 15*. 

the two that came in first are trans......    this will definitely be a upcoming discussion in sportz

1 minute ago, rac7d said:

the two that came in first are trans......    this will definitely be a upcoming discussion in sportz

It's already here and happening across many disciplines. It's not fair.

I feel sorry for the transwomen in sports right now

what she's saying is very true but she worded it terribly :rip: why did she need to start talking about 'making babies' 

13 minutes ago, TheLastChord said:

It's already here and happening across many disciplines. It's not fair.

I dont  see a fair solution to  keep them included

I can see her point. You can't defy biology. But yea she could've said it more nicely.

Urm...those who watch/play tennis and not spend time on Twitter know that men have a huge advantage in tennis. They are stronger, faster, and mentally stronger. Serena at her peak would be like #300 in men's rankings (she does have an amazing serve even for men, but she is slow with not as much stamina)

I fully support trans people, but as someone who plays tennis...that's a no UNLESS they started transitioning very early

9 minutes ago, Blue Jeans said:

Urm...those who watch/play tennis and not spend time on Twitter know that men have a huge advantage in tennis. They are stronger, faster, and mentally stronger. Serena at her peak would be like #300 in men's rankings (she does have an amazing serve even for men, but she is slow with not as much stamina)

I fully support trans people, but as someone who plays tennis...that's a no UNLESS they started transitioning very early

Exactly, a transitioned male to female tennis player (if that person had talent to go top 100 in the men's game) would DOMINATE TWICE more than Serena Williams, like winning slams would be a cakewalk. 

I fully support the LGBTQ+ community, but the entire sport of women's tennis will be broken if it's allowed. Anyone arguing against it clearly does not know the ENORMOUS advantage men has over women in the sport of tennis, they're two incomparable games. 

She said more than that and she’s right. Biological males have an unfair advantage over biological females. You can’t change things like body structure or lung capacity. 

I agree with her, nothing against trans people, but you just can't defy human physiology and nature, especially in the filed of professional tennis.

The differences between men and women tennis players are comically huge, a transgender woman tennis player can easily dominate WTA for decades :skull: