Billboard Charts (February 17-23, 2019)

Starkboy

Ariana-Grande-bb27-9uys-2018-feat-billboard-gbharhbi-1548.jpg

Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next storms in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with 360,000 equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending Feb. 14, according to Nielsen Music. The set launches with the biggest week for a pop album in over a year and garners Grande her fourth No. 1 -- and second in less than six months. Of Thank U, Next’s starting unit sum, 116,000 were in album sales.

Thank U, Next, released on Feb. 8 through Republic Records, is Grande’s fourth Billboard 200 No. 1. It also launches with the biggest streaming week ever for a pop album.

Grande’s Fourth No. 1 Album: It follows Sweetener (which debuted atop the list dated Sept. 1, 2018), My Everything (Sept. 13, 2014) and Yours Truly (Sept. 21, 2013). Grande ties Taylor Swift for the second-most No. 1s among women this decade, trailing Lady Gaga, with five leaders since 2010.

Two No. 1s in Less Than Six Months: Thank U, Next opens at No. 1 less than six months after Grande last topped the chart, with Sweetener, on the Sept. 1, 2018-dated chart. That span of five months and 22 days is the shortest gap between new No. 1s on the Billboard 200 for a woman since 1974-75, when Olivia Newton-John waited just five months and three days between the first weeks at No. 1 for If You Love Me Let Me Know (Oct. 12, 1974) and Have You Never Been Mellow (March 15, 1975). Both titles spent one week at No. 1.

Grande’s accumulation of her two latest No. 1s is the fastest since K-pop group BTS notched its first two No. 1s in a little over three months just last year (Love Yourself: Tear on June 2, 2018 and Love Yourself: Answer on Sept. 8, 2018).

Biggest Week for a Pop Album in Over a Year: As Thank U, Next starts with 360,000 units, the set earns the biggest week for a pop album in over a year.

The last pop set to tally a larger week was Swift’s Reputation, which began at No. 1 on the chart dated Dec. 2, 2017 with 1.24 million units earned. Thank U, Next also scores the biggest week for an album by a woman since reputation.

Thank U, Next has the largest week of any album since Oct. 13, 2018, when Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter V bowed at No. 1 with 480,000 units.

Largest Streaming Week for a Pop Album & Any Album by a Woman: Of Thank U, Next’s starting unit sum of 360,000 units, 228,000 are in SEA units. That latter sum translates to a whopping 307 million on-demand audio streams for the album’s songs during the tracking week. That’s a remarkable sum considering most-heavily-streamed albums are hip-hop sets. (Of the top 20 largest-streaming weeks ever for an album, Thank U, Next is the only non-hip-hop title.)

Thank U, Next easily sets the record for the largest streaming week for a pop album (beating the debut frame of Ed Sheeran’s ÷ [Divide] with 126.7 million on-demand audio streams for its songs; March 25, 2017) and the biggest streaming week for an album by a woman (surpassing the debut week of Cardi B’s Invasion of Privacy with 202.6 million; April 21, 2018).

Thank U, Next has the ninth-largest streaming week for an album overall, and the eighth-biggest debut week. Drake’s Scorpion remains the streaming record-holder among all albums, with 745.9 million on-demand audio streams registered for its songs in its debut week (July 14, 2018). (Scorpion actually has two of the top nine biggest weeks, as the album’s second-week streaming sum is the fourth-largest overall, with 391 million.).

Rank

Move

Artist

Album

Units

NE

Ariana Grande

thank u, next

360,000 (NE)

+3

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper

A Star Is Born Soundtrack

49,000 (+31%)

+8

Queen

Bohemian Rhapsody

48,000 (+84%)

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie

Hoodie SZN

43,000 (-7%)

+1

Post Malone

beerbongs & bentleys

39,000 (+10%)

Travis Scott

ASTROWORLD

37,000 (-3%)

21 Savage

I Am > I Was

37,000 (-8%)

=

Drake

Scorpion

35,000 (+4%)

RE

Kacey Musgraves

Golden Hour

35,000 (+524%)

Meek Mill

Championships

26,000 (-5%)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8498762/ariana-grande-thank-u-next-debuts-at-no-1-on-billboard-200-chart-album

vid must be embedded

'7 Rings' reigns for a fourth week, 'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored' debuts at No. 2 and 'Thank U, Next' rebounds to No. 3.

Ariana Grande becomes the first artist to hold the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart simultaneously since The Beatles in 1964, as her new album Thank U, Next launches at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums tally.

Grande's "7 Rings" rules the Hot 100 (dated Feb. 23) for a fourth week, while "Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored" debuts at No. 2 and former seven-week leader "Thank U, Next" rebounds from No. 7 to No. 3. All three songs are from the Thank U, Next album, released on Republic Records.

Grande is just the second act in the Hot 100's 60-year history to monopolize the top three in a week. The Beatles earned the honor for five weeks in March and April 1964, even claiming the entire top five on the April 4, 1964-dated chart.

"7 Rings" No. 1 again: Grande's "7 Rings" spends a fourth week atop the Hot 100, encompassing its entire run on the chart. "Rings" leads the Streaming Songs chart for a fourth frame, with 63.5 million U.S. streams, up 10 percent, in the week ending Feb. 14, according to Nielsen Music. On Radio Songs, "Rings" rises 10-9, up 23 percent to 61.7 million audience impressions in the week ending Feb. 17, good for the Hot 100's top Airplay Gainer award for a third week.

"Break Up" bows at No. 2: New Thank U, Next single "Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored" blasts onto the Hot 100 at No. 2 (marking Grande's 13th top 10). It launches at No. 2 on both Streaming Songs (59.2 million) and Digital Song Sales (36,000 sold), while drawing 13.4 million airplay impressions.

"Next" up, at No. 3: Meanwhile, the Thank U, Next title track and lead single rebounds 7-3 on the Hot 100, after spending seven weeks at No. 1, beginning with its Nov. 17 debut at the summit. It's powered most heavily by its 36.8 million U.S. streams, up 52 percent, as it surges 14-5 on Streaming Songs and claims the Hot 100's top Streaming Gainer nod.

Ariana meets The Beatles: Grande is only the second act in the Hot 100's history to rank at Nos. 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously and the first in nearly 55 years. The Beatles achieved the feat for five weeks in 1964, that March 14, 21 and 28 and April 4 and 25; on April 4, 1964, the group claimed the entire top five.

"7 Rings," "Break Up" and "Next" mark the first triple-up for an artist at Nos. 1, 2 and 3 on the Hot 100 since The Beatles held the same spots on April 25, 1964, with "Can't Buy Me Love," "Twist and Shout" and "Do You Want to Know a Secret," respectively. (Thus, the last time the honor was earned, the No. 1 song was about how "I don't care too much for money; money can't buy me love"; "7 Rings" finds Grande declaring "retail therapy my new addiction.")

Between The Beatles' and Grande's tri-umphs, Drake came closest to the feat, placing at Nos. 1, 2 and 4 on the Hot 100 dated July 14, 2018, with "Nice for What," "Nonstop" and "God's Plan," respectively. The songs contributed to Drake's record seven simultaneous Hot 100 top 10s, as his album Scorpion debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 the same week.

Pop's resurgence: Meanwhile, Grande has been at the forefront of a turnaround for pop songs' fortunes atop the Hot 100. On Sept. 22, 2018, Drake's "In My Feelings" spent its 10th and final week at No. 1, wrapping a record 34-week streak of rap leaders (29 by Drake). Since then, pop songs have led for 20 of 22 weeks, thanks to Maroon 5's "Girls Like You," featuring Cardi B (seven weeks at No. 1); Grande's "Next" (seven); Halsey's "Without Me" (two); and Grande's "7 Rings" (four).

In that 22-week span, two rap titles each spent a week at No. 1: Travis Scott's "Sicko Mode" and Post Malone and Swae Lee's "Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)."

Women at No. 1 in 2019: Plus, women have now spent seven weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100 on charts dated 2019, starting with the seventh and last week on top on for Grande's "Next" on the chart dated Jan. 5 (followed by two weeks in charge for "Without Me" and four for "7 Rings"). Thus, as of late February, women in lead roles have almost matched last year's total time atop the Hot 100, as women as credited leads tallied eight weeks at No. 1 in all of 2018 (including the first six weeks on top for "Next"; Camila Cabello and Cardi B also ruled for a week each as leads in 2018).

In 2017, women as lead acts spent six weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100, three each by Taylor Swift ("Look What You Made Me Do") and Cardi B ("Bodak Yellow [Money Moves]"). The 2018 and 2017 sums pale in comparison to 2016, when lead women logged 16 weeks at No. 1, by Adele, Rihanna and Sia.

Rounding out the Hot 100's top five, Halsey's "Without Me" dips 3-4 and Post Malone and Swae Lee's "Sunflower" slides 4-5, as the latter track tops the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Rap Songs charts for a seventh week each.

Marshmello and Bastille's "Happier" falls to No. 6 on the Hot 100 from its No. 2 high, a week after surging following Marshmello's groundbreaking set inside the Fortnite video game Feb. 2. The collaboration leads Hot Dance/Electronic Songs for a 22nd week.

Scott's "Sicko Mode" slips 5-7 on the Hot 100 and Panic! at the Disco's "High Hopes" descends 6-8 after reaching No. 4. The latter song leads Hot Rock Songs for a 16th week and Radio Songs for a 13th frame (110.4 million, down 4 percent).

Capping the Hot 100's top 10, Post Malone's "Wow." keeps at No. 9, after hitting No. 8, and Benny Blanco, Halsey and Khalid's "Eastside" returns to the region (11-10), after reaching No. 9.

Rank

Move

Artist

Song

Peak

Weeks On

=

Ariana Grande

7 Rings

NE

Ariana Grande

break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored

+4

Ariana Grande

thank u, next

Halsey

Without Me

Post Malone & Swae Lee

Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Marshmello & Bastille

Happier

Travis Scott

SICKO MODE

Panic At The Disco!

High Hopes

=

Post Malone

Wow.

+1

benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid

Eastside

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jude

• Ger

• Starkboy

• Cesar

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Starkboy said:

https://www.billboard. com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8498762/ariana-grande-thank-u-next-debuts-at-no-1-on-billboard-200-chart-album

Congrats :smile:

At No. 2 on the new Billboard 200, Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s A Star Is Born soundtrack steps 5-2 with 49,000 units (up 31 percent). The set is basking in the glow of Gaga’s performance of the album’s “Shallow” on the Feb. 10 Grammy Awards, where the song also won a pair of trophies (including one presented during the CBS broadcast: best pop duo/group performance).

:jonny5:

Just now, KetysandGagsSon said:

From

To

In less than 6 months with no televised promo :Jonny: 

116k is a small drop from Sweetener pure sales, and makes sense with how big the streaming week was. Good #s!

Just now, KetysandGagsSon said:

From

To

She did a full 360 :jonny5:

:clap3:

Congrats Ari 

The difference between  #2 and 10 being 15K units.....I cant :rip:

Only the biggest female artist right now.. QUEEN.

9 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

Kacey Musgraves’ Golden Hour rides its pair of Grammy Award wins on Feb. 10 to a return to the top 10, as the set re-enters the chart straight in at No. 9 with 35,000 units (up 524 percent). Of that sum, 20,000 were in album sales -- a gain of 735 percent.

Not bad at all.

8 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Great numbers :clap3: 

#1 album and #1 song in the country :jonny2: 

8 minutes ago, Mark Rih said:

a WINNER

I see it I like it I want it I got it :katie2:

We love talented artists and talented stans! 

At No. 2 on the new Billboard 200, Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s A Star Is Born soundtrack steps 5-2 with 49,000 units (up 31 percent)

Maybe she snapped.

she would've tied gaga for more #1 albums if it wasn't for drake in 2016..................... electric chair him :fish2: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.