Sesame Street introduces character with autism, Julia

17 posts in this topic

On Sunday viewers got to meet her during a “60 Minutes” segment. “I think the big discussion right at the start was, ‘How do we do this? How do we talk about autism?,'” one of the show’s writers, Christine Ferraro, told “60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl.

Joan Ganz Cooney , one of the founders of the Children’s Television Workshop which developed “Sesame Street,” said it has also not been afraid to deal with real life issues including the death of a beloved character, Mr. Hooper in 1983. “Sesame Street had always dealt with the real,” she said. ” And it was real, and so we decided not to just replace him and call the man Mr. Hooper and hope they didn’t notice.” 

Julia’s debut episode will deal with what autism can look like. The brain disorder can make it difficult for sufferers to communicate with and relate to others.

Source/Read More

Video

Wasn't Ernie enough. :celestial5:

Is that Brinty talking?

I used to think that Asian guy was sooo hot as a kid 

Woke icon Big Bird's inclusion instinct strikes again. :clap3: When will our faves?

Woke Street :clap3: Inclusivity always wins.

Still waiting on the reveal that Bert and Ernie are a gay couple though!

Fly Julia :gaycat3:

TODAY show segment, and live in studio!

i bet my autistic brother would've loved this when he watched this show.

now he's too old for this **** lol

Seems like Julia may have a mild version of autism. Because for the multiple youtube videos I have seen of people with autism and from my experience with my mom's friend son having autism, I have to say that they are disruptive, loud and annoying to be around. But big props to those who are around and taking care of autism individuals though. Must take lots of patience and love.

1 minute ago, Mekitor said:

Seems like Julia may have a mild version of autism. Because for the multiple youtube videos I have seen of people with autism and from my experience with my mom's friend son having autism, I have to say that they are disruptive, loud and annoying to be around. But big props to those who are around and taking care of autism individuals though. Must take lots of patience and love.

so your experience with autism is youtube & your mom's friend's cousin's husband's son?

On 3/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, Hurem said:

Is that Brinty talking?

:chick3: 

6 minutes ago, worldtown said:

so your experience with autism is youtube & your mom's friend's son?

Fixed. And Yes as I said my 'experience'

Saw that 60 Minutes special on it, was very interesting. The character seems very nice and hopefully that helps people relate to their peers with autism at an earlier age. 

Hmmm do they have any gays?