Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hulu Boss Says ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Not Pushed Due to 'GOT'

3 posts in this topic

With Season 3 of Hulu’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” bending the knee, what’s left to join HBO’s “Game of Thrones” in best drama series?

Hulu announced Monday that its critically-acclaimed adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel would premiere June 5, missing the eligibility window for the 71st Emmy Awards and becoming the latest high-profile contender to cede ground to the final season of HBO’s epic fantasy, which returns for its final season April 14.

Following that reveal, which was made during the Television Critics Association press tour, Hulu’s Senior Vice President of Originals, Craig Erwich, told reporters during his executive session the decision to push the start of Season 3 to June — which will make it ineligible to compete in the 2019 Emmys — has nothing to do with when “GoT” comes back with its final batch of episodes — which will be eligible.

“No, um, it doesn’t,” Erwich said, when asked if the HBO sci-fi series’ final season’s air date played a part in the premiere date Hulu set for “Handmaid’s” third season.

“You’re gonna watch the final season of ‘Game of Thrones,’ as well,” he added. “It simply was, we wanted to give the show as much time as possible to maintain the quality that it has. I can tell you, and I think [creator] Bruce [Miller] and [executive producer] Warren [Littlefield] will come out, maybe at a later date, I’ve had the chance to see the first two episodes of ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ and it’s spectacular.”

When asked whether or not Hulu intentionally pushed “Handmaid’s” Season 3 start to take it out of the running for the Emmys, Erwich said: “You know, maintaining the quality of the ‘Handmaid’s Tale,’ which is impeccable, takes time. And we wanted to give the show enough time in Season 3 to maintain incredibly high standards of storytelling that were set in Season 1 and 2. It will have the effect of the Season 3 episodes, all of them, being eligible for being viewed by the Emmy award body when the show is qualified.”

https://www.thewrap.com/handmaids-tale-june-premiere-game-of-thrones-final-season-hulu-emmys/

Looks like "Game of Thrones" has taken out the competition so now has none for its final season.

3-game-of-thrones-beauty.gif

All I ask is that Lena Headey finally wins an Emmy :jonny5: 

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

All I ask is that Lena Headey finally wins an Emmy :jonny5: 

She has an excellent shot.

-Since Handmaid's Tale is not eligible none of those actresses will be up.

-The Crown and Westworld hasn't released anything so no one from that show is competition

-Stranger Things is also ineligible

The only competition that can throw her off is Emilia with splitting the vote. And HBO will keep that from happening by placing Emilia from supporting actress to lead actress in a drama. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0