Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

USA Today Ranks Grammy Performances

12 posts in this topic

1. Dolly Parton tribute: Katy Perry, Kacey Musgraves, Miley Cyrus, Maren Morris and Little Big Town

How they did: Worthy of Dolly’s presence

Thank goodness for Dolly, teaching the younger girls how it’s done, with a tribute in which every segment was better than the one before. Katy Perry and Kacey Musgraves kicked off the performance, trading vocals on the least-showy song of the set, “Here You Come Again,” before Parton stormed the stage, serving vocals basically as strong as the women half her age around her. To take on her immortal hit “Jolene,” she was joined by her goddaughter, Miley Cyrus, doing a perfect imitation of Parton’s twang. Next came a haunting take on “After the Gold Rush,” made famous by Neil Young, with Parton, Cyrus and Maren Morris singing over a bare-bones accompaniment that briefly dropped out for a thrilling moment of three-part a cappella harmony. Little Big Town emerged next for Parton’s new song for the “Dumplin'” soundtrack, “Red Shoes,” giving her a few minutes to show off just how strong her voice still is. By the time the set ended with a feel-good group singalong of “9 to 5,” Parton had persuaded us to just hand over the rest of the evening to her capable hands.

2. Janelle Monae, “Make Me Feel”

How she did: Actually worthy of performing the night's Motown tribute

Finally, some life. Monae brought one of her Prince-iest songs to the Grammys and did the Purple One proud with her electric guitar and flawless choreography – though she owes the perfect moonwalk she busted out halfway through the performance to Michael Jackson. A break from the relatively bland performances that came before her, Monae transitioned from “Make Me Feel” to a snippet from “PYNK” and ended with a stunning scene of elevated tiers of dancers that somehow never distracted from Monae performing below. Even though  Monae didn't win album of the year, she gets credit for restoring a pulse to the ceremony, if just for a few minutes.

3. Alicia Keys, “Songs I’d Wish I’d Written” medley

How she did: Makes us want a whole cover album

Alicia Keys gave viewers a valid reminder of the artistry that got her to this level of music fame in the first place – which can be easy to forget, considering she’s almost more famous these days as a TV personality or a talking head than the soulful pianist of her younger years. Keys showed just how many songs sound just as good, or in some cases better, when she’s the one performing them, making a serious case that she should adopt “Lucid Dreams” from Juice WRLD and “Use Somebody” from Kings of Leon. She also graced Grammy viewers with maybe the purest moment in the night when she started playing a sweet snippet of Ella Mai’s “Boo’d Up,” only for the camera to cut to Mai in the audience, looking absolutely overjoyed.

4. St. Vincent and Dua Lipa, “Masseducation” and “One Kiss”

5. Cardi B, “Money” 

6. Chloe x Halle, “Where is the Love”

7. Kacey Musgraves, “Rainbow”

8. Brandi Carlile, “The Joke”

9. Travis Scott, “Stop Trying To Be God” and “No Bystanders”

10. Diana Ross, “The Best Years of My Life,” “Reach Out and Touch (Somebody’s Hand)”

11. H.E.R., “Hard Place”

12. Shawn Mendes and Miley Cyrus, “In My Blood”

13. Camila Cabello, “Havana”

14. Andra Day, Fantasia and Yolanda Adams, Aretha Franklin tribute

15. Dan + Shay, “Tequila”

16. Lady Gaga, “Shallow”

17. Jennifer Lopez: Motown tribute

18. Post Malone and Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Stay”/“Rockstar”/“Dark Necessities”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2019/02/10/grammys-2019-brutally-honest-reviews-every-performance-ranked/2833572002/

nice top 4. :clap3:

the Dolly tribute was highlight of the night for me too.