Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Oscars receive backlash after cutting off categories

38 posts in this topic

Editing and Cinematography are as just as important as Directing and Screenwriting. How embarrassing. 

It's the price to pay for Shallow to be performed in full.

Everyone knows Cuaron is winning Cinematography....who curr

The fact that these are categories in which Disney is not nominated, the transparency and audacity. :skull:

If they are cutting this in favor of lame sketches and boring monologues WITHOUT a host, they should get the lowest ratings ever.

No One cares about these categories. They come early in broadcast every year. People are in the kitchen getting a snack when these are announced. Quick off the top of your head name me a film hair stylist. Oscars please cut more categories. See what I mean.

CINEMATOGRAPHY? EDITING?

...what the **** is going on with these award shows? like really who is making these decisions? how do they not realize that people would rather see three hours of straight awards than any of the other mess they interject with. they can save all the other **** for themselves before or after..... or maybe do THAT during the commercial breaks. :biblio: 

1 hour ago, PrinceJawbreaker said:

Not cinematography... wow 

1 hour ago, Gui Blackout said:

Cutting Cinematography is absolutely insane :rip:

This.

How do you cut one of the cornerstone categories, and the one that makes film... well, film? :rip: 

7 minutes ago, inspiration4 said:

This.

How do you cut one of the cornerstone categories, and the one that makes film... well, film? :rip: 

I’m ok with cutting out film editing, because editing is a hidden art. But everything we see in the movie is related to cinematography. I’m just so shocked.

MESS

Cinematography and editing are major awards.  

Film is cinematography and editing. :skull:

Makeup is also a major award. 

If given that unfortunate choice, I would put the 3 short categories Live Action Short, Animated Short, Documentary Short. 

1 hour ago, pablozedd said:

animated short and doc short should be on commercial way more than Cinematography and Editing.

!!!! like wtf :ahh:

next level cringe.

awards shows have barely any cultural relevance nowadays, anyway.

but I was told Best Original Song was supposed to be given during commercials?

--

Apparently they will still be televised, they are just trying to save some time?

But from all I've heard, the show is still going to be clocking 3 hrs anyways, so what are they doing with all that time that they still have to cut awards?