July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

This Is America shouldn't have won.

98 posts in this topic

This Is America was a moment so i'm not mad about it winning.

What's funny is the little goblins thought him not attending would result in an automatic sweep for Gaga.

they should have let Alright be the first hiphop track in recent years to win SOTY and ROTY tbh.

they should have let Alright be the first hiphop track in recent years to win SOTY and ROTY tbh.

12 hours ago, Eternium said:

Speaking of undeserved wins :biblio: 

SUFFER!

OT: ROTY was fine, but SOTY seemed out of place...

Formation walked so this could run. That’s why I’m pissed, Bey deserved Record for Formation but no one can beat Hurricane Adele (who was much more deserving than Gambino). He is an arrogant asshole who thinks way too highly of himself, literally the only thing he did was create a cheap rip off of Bey’s song. He didn’t even bother to show up! 

At the very least, TIA should not have won Song. Record is arguable, but not Song. (I Like It was my personal Record of the Year but whatever). TIA was hyped for 5 minutes because of its music video, certainly not its lyrics. Shallow and other songs nominated objectively had better lyrics and no one can argue that. 

Can someone please explain to me difference between SOTY and ROTY? 

24 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

Formation walked so this could run. That’s why I’m pissed, Bey deserved Record for Formation but no one can beat Hurricane Adele (who was much more deserving than Gambino). He is an arrogant asshole who thinks way too highly of himself, literally the only thing he did was create a cheap rip off of Bey’s song. He didn’t even bother to show up! 

At the very least, TIA should not have won Song. Record is arguable, but not Song. (I Like It was my personal Record of the Year but whatever). TIA was hyped for 5 minutes because of its music video, certainly not its lyrics. Shallow and other songs nominated objectively had better lyrics and no one can argue that. 

are you deaf?

The song isn't AMAZING but it's better than what you wanted to win, deal with it.

The video more than makes up for it too. Better than anything ya faves have ever done. It's 2019 move on from 2011 guys.

ROTY + MV were deserved

Best Rap/Sung is fine I guess. I wanted 6LACK or my girl but that was obviously not happening

I was under the impession SOTY was about songwriting, as opposed to production + performance, so I don't see how TIA even got in. I'd go with The Joke, but tbh that category was dire, so it's whatever

36 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

There's no such thing as objectively better lyrics. And if you really want to take it there, TIA's lyrics hold more weight than the other songs nominated since he was rapping about the state of the country in regards to violence against black people.

1 hour ago, truthteller said:

he shouldve won all general categories.

3 hours ago, truthteller said:

Kendrick should’ve swept everything in the general field that year, ibr.

2 hours ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

Can someone please explain to me difference between SOTY and ROTY? 

SOTY is songwriting, ROTY is production.

3 hours ago, Mr.Fenty said:

are you deaf?

Even if you're going to deny the undoubted influence that Formation had on TIA both sonically and visually, 1) it is a plagiarized song and 2) either HUMBLE./Formation deserved to be the first Rap song to win Song & Record of the Year. 

17 hours ago, Eternium said:

Speaking of undeserved wins :biblio: 

nnn Gaga 100% deserved :rip: 

All The Stars deserved to win, not This Is America or Shallow. :rip:

20 hours ago, Speezy said:

Ofcourse a Current,Political and Eye opening song would make people upset. The whites, gays and patriots can seethe and die pressed

19 hours ago, liberalmusiclover said:

Black excellence WON. 

19 hours ago, Mr.Fenty said:

white people deserve to be mocked

19 hours ago, Mr.Fenty said:

they wanted their white pop girls to win lol

16 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

SPILL IT!

resize.png

It’s not about what’s the biggest, if that’s the case then God’s Plan would win. :rip:

The best song out of the bunch won... PERIOD!

16 hours ago, Cobato said:

Right..Let me guess one of those white pop girls should have won huh? Atrl hates anything not pop and blonde.

15 hours ago, getinthezone said:

a literally stolens ong wins record of the year and you all somehow make it about race :biblio:

I wouldn't be complaining if All The Stars won, which deserved it miles more than plagiarized TIA. I have a problem with the SONG being stolen. The music video was 100% deserving. The song, however, is a different story.

The best video category exists for a reason, but I guess the Grammys need to be educated on the difference between videography, songwriting and music production.

Well, it did. Get over it. :fan:

7 hours ago, luckythisway said:

Even if you're going to deny the undoubted influence that Formation had on TIA both sonically and visually, 1) it is a plagiarized song and 2) either HUMBLE./Formation deserved to be the first Rap song to win Song & Record of the Year. 

4 hours ago, Buddy said:

I wouldn't be complaining if All The Stars won, which deserved it miles more than plagiarized TIA. I have a problem with the SONG being stolen. The music video was 100% deserving. The song, however, is a different story.

1) This Is America was written in 2015
2) even the author of the "original" song denies that TIA was plagiarized from his song.

3) if TIA is inspired by Formation, by this logic, does it mean that Formation is inspired by Alright?

5 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

The best video category exists for a reason, but I guess the Grammys need to be educated on the difference between videography, songwriting and music production.

They didn’t award it just cause of the video. :fan: 

12 hours ago, Planet Mars said:

TIA winning means talent won :clap3: