Video Game Franchise Rate - JOIN NOW!

54 posts in this topic

feelslikeadream

XHdpjib.jpg

Welcome to the Ultimate ATRL Video Game Franchise Rate! 

It's an exciting time to be a gamer: The global gaming market has been growing year over year, popular online games have united rival console fans in friendly competition, Sony is releasing better IPs, Kingdom Hearts 3 was finally released after years of delays, and the Nintendo Switch is breaking records and has returned Nintendo to the top after a flop era.

While gamers on ATRL can sometimes engage in... vitriolic conversations, this rate is designed to bring all of us gamers together to celebrate the amazing video game franchises that have appeared on all of our favorite consoles over the years. Whether you like platformers, RPGs, sports games (:-$), first-person shooters, puzzle games, or something else entirely, this rate allows you to represent for your favorite franchises and see how they stack up against the competition.

T0gthHX.jpg

Because few people will have played every eligible video game franchise, this rate will run a via ranked list of your 20 favorite video game franchises. For the sake of simplicity, this list will exclude video games based on non-gaming IPs (sorry SNES's Aladdin!).

A list of eligible games can be found here: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_franchises

To participate in the rate, PM me a list of your top 20 video game franchises, ranked in order from top to bottom (#1-#20). Your #1 game will receive 20 points; #2 will receive 19; #3 will receive 18; etc. I will then tally your votes and reveal the ~50 best video games at a later date TBD.

• You must include 20 games in your list. No partial lists!
  • Sub-franchises with vastly different gameplay from the main series will rank separately. For example, "Super Mario" (platformers) should be listed separately from "Mario Kart" (racing). "Pokémon" does not include the "Mystery Dungeon" games. On the other side of things, the "Souls" franchise includes both Demon Souls and Dark Souls. For the sake of simplicity, refer to the list from Wikipedia above for clarification; any sub-franchise (with its own link) gets its own entry here. If you need clarification, please post in the thread so everyone can see the conversation.
  • No ties. If you send them, I’ll just break them myself.
  • Lists must be PMed to me by Sunday, March 10th at midnight.
  • So that I can organize results in my spreadsheet easily, please format your list by using a number, a period, then the name of the franchise:
    1. Favorite Franchise
    2. Second Favorite Franchise
    3. Third Favorite Franchise
    etc.

nzT4IC7.jpg

1. feelslikeadream

2. ...

3. ...

4. ...

5. ...

etc.

6hh4bi2.jpg

TO BE DETERMINED...

feelslikeadream

Don't forget to rank the XENO series in your top 5 :heart2: Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade.... Quality only!

oN6yRbe.gif

thatsmydemi

I'M READY. Doing this as we speak. :duca: 

Notorious MINAJ

Bitch is Final fantasy isn’t in the top 5 when they deliver quality after quality(we don’t claim 13-2 and lightning:Sabotage).

madonnas

I only played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and am halfway through so it won't be on my list, but you inspired me to actually try to finish it :heart2:

After I'm done with FFVIII

feelslikeadream
5 minutes ago, madonnas said:

I only played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and am halfway through so it won't be on my list, but you inspired me to actually try to finish it :heart2:

After I'm done with FFVIII

iA4vmg4.gif

The way that game is REGULARLY left out of conversations about the franchise. A mess.

madonnas
Just now, feelslikeadream said:

iA4vmg4.gif

The way that game is REGULARLY left out of conversations about the franchise. A mess.

It takes me forever to finish games now because im OLD and BUSY

:sad:  I'm haflway thru disc 2 though and love it, Selphie and Rinoa :heart2:  And Sorceress Edea  :heart2: 

VelvetCrush

@feelslikeadream what does this mean?? 

"exclude video games based on non-gaming IPs (sorry SNES's Aladdin!)."

feelslikeadream
19 minutes ago, madonnas said:

It takes me forever to finish games now because im OLD and BUSY

:sad:  I'm haflway thru disc 2 though and love it, Selphie and Rinoa :heart2:  And Sorceress Edea  :heart2: 

Edea is THAT bitch! I wish more games had female villains instead of all the boring men/monsters we get :zzz:

14 minutes ago, VelvetCrush said:

@feelslikeadream what does this mean?? 

"exclude video games based on non-gaming IPs (sorry SNES's Aladdin!)."

It means we’re only counting games in which the IP was created for the purpose of gaming. So for example you couldn’t include the stellar Rugrats games that came out on the N64 because Rugrats is a TV show first, not a video game. The list of eligible games (from Wikipedia) also follows this rule, so if you have a franchise in mind, just look at the list and see if it’s there!

The Unforgiving

I'm in but 20 seems too big, eh? I'd reduce it to 15 or 10.

madonnas
3 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

Edea is THAT bitch! I wish more games had female villains instead of all the boring men/monsters we get :zzz:

It means we’re only counting games in which the IP was created for the purpose of gaming. So for example you couldn’t include the stellar Rugrats games that came out on the N64 because Rugrats is a TV show first, not a video game. The list of eligible games (from Wikipedia) also follows this rule, so if you have a franchise in mind, just look at the list and see if it’s there!

The only good male villains in jRPGs are Kuja and Ygdrassil because they're super flamboyant.

thatsmydemi

thatsmydemi
5 minutes ago, The Unforgiving said:

I'm in but 20 seems too big, eh? I'd reduce it to 15 or 10.

nnnn I had a hard time trying to leave out some of them. I'd have added 5 more. :sosad:

Subomie

but when are doing the atrl's greatest games of all time list :mandown:

Doogle

Wiggg I'll be doing this

Don't forget Tekken the queen of traditional fighters. She may have fallen off with 7 but the series as a whole shouldn't go unnoticed

Subomie

Anyway, outside of the obvious Zelda and Mario stuff, FYCs for Souls (which has never had a bad game), Metroid (which has never had a bad game other than on the Wii), and Mother :heart2:

Doogle
3 minutes ago, Subomie said:

Anyway, outside of the obvious Zelda and Mario stuff, FYCs for Souls (which has never had a bad game), Metroid (which has never had a bad game other than on the Wii), and Mother :heart2:

I really want to experience the Mother games :jonny6: Praying one makes it to Switch, maybe the SNES online  

Subomie

Subomie
1 minute ago, Doogle said:

I really want to experience the Mother games :jonny6: Praying one makes it to Switch, maybe the SNES online  

Subomie

Might as well hop on a emulator and play Mother 3 then, cus that one's never getting a legit English release!

G.U.Y

Don't forget Assassin's Creed, Age of Empires, BioShock and Far Cry :sistrens:

Pokemon for the win tho :sistrens:

Eternium

I had a list completely finished a while ago back when I first suggested this but now I have no idea where it is. I feel sabotaged!

But let me promote Yokai Watch, the Mana series (Seiken Densetsu), Banjo-Kazooie, Kingdom Hearts and Okami while I’m here :heart2: 

110615_banner_yokai.jpg?fit=817,211

Legend%20of%20Mana.jpg?itok=VkyUU-va

5b4cb707cc0c0.jpg

kingdom_hearts_saga_banner_wallpaper_by_

okamihd.png

feelslikeadream
4 minutes ago, Eternium said:

okamihd.png

Taste! One of my favorite games of all-time!

Buuuttt I don't know how to rate it here cause Okamiden was... derivative, so I'm basically including it just for one game. It's hard to compare one amazing game to a series like, say, Zelda, which has amazing games but also has Twilight Princess :/

Eternium
1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

Taste! One of my favorite games of all-time!

Buuuttt I don't know how to rate it here cause Okamiden was... derivative, so I'm basically including it just for one game. It's hard to compare one amazing game to a series like, say, Zelda, which has amazing games but also has Twilight Princess :/

Not all great franchises have to have multiple good entries. Just ask Sony :eli: 

OT: The top 5 will consist of Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy and one wildcard. Bookmark me.

ceremonials

Does a franchise woth only one game count? I feel weird including it.

VelvetCrush
3 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Does Telltale's TWD count?? The GOT one is on the list but I didn't see TWD.