Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

UK Politics 🇬🇧 Tory election: Boris Johnson vs Jeremy Hunt

2,906 posts in this topic

Speaking of the Irish Border problem.

If we want Northern Ireland and Ireland to stay the way they are now the only possible solutions are:

1. keep the UK in the EU, then nothing will change;

2. have the UK leave the EU but abide by EU rules of freedom of movement of goods, people etc. (although without a say on them) with a Norway/Switzerland style deal;

3. have Northern Ireland remain as part of the EU (though if the UK is to be out, there would have to be a customs border and passport control for travellers between Northern Ireland and Great Britain);

4. have Northern Ireland leave the UK and join the Republic of Ireland.

Option number 1 seems the best :rip: but we’re going to make the assumption that it isn’t possible at the moment.

Option number 2 doesn’t seem terrible, however there are a number of political problems with it. Firstly, Norway and Switzerland contribute to the EU financially despite not being part of it. That is an unacceptable thing to a significant amount of MPs and the electorate of course. Secondly, the UK wouldn’t have a say on the laws that it would have to abide to have access to the single market. Thirdly, Norway and Switzerland have freedom of movement so the UK wouldn’t „get rid of those pesky Polish immigrants hurr durr”. So another portion of the electorate would be upset.

Option number 3 sounds like a good solution, however it could mean trouble either way. The Unionists aren’t going to like it and might protest. Plus, the DUP which is confidence and support to the Conservatives will not support it by any means. Which makes it hard to pass.

Option numer 4 would be the solution that would please both hard and soft Brexiteers by essentially eliminating the Irish border problem. However, it would require grand changes - a referendum giving a green light, negotiations with the Unionists etc. It’s rather unlikely to happen.

Given all those circumstances, unless there is a general election which would result in a majority able to put any of the options in motion, the only possibility for this

government to conduct Brexit is a no-deal Brexit. Which is why we’ll either not have Brexit at all or have it delayed or a no-deal Brexit.

The most stupid thing about a No Deal Brexit is that the first job for any government afterwards is to start negotiating a trade deal with the EU anyway. It's a waste of everyone's time to No Deal it and then try to negotiate a deal once our economy is collapsing. :skull:

Jeremy Hunt seems to be getting a lot of support... after how AWFUL he was with the NHS?! :deadbanana4:

11 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

Jeremy Hunt seems to be getting a lot of support... after how AWFUL he was with the NHS?! :deadbanana4:

I mean being the fall guy for EVERYONE in the Tory Party is a smart way of making them like you I suppose x

:ahh:

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

The most stupid thing about a No Deal Brexit is that the first job for any government afterwards is to start negotiating a trade deal with the EU anyway. It's a waste of everyone's time to No Deal it and then try to negotiate a deal once our economy is collapsing. :skull:

You just know the EU and maybe Ireland will take the UK to court after a No Deal Brexit. The EU to claim that 40/44 billion and the EU or Ireland about the Irish border problem :rip:

21 hours ago, BadMonster said:

It's not going to solve the issue, nor did I say or imply it would :rip: I mentioned two points Johnson and the EU don't see eye to eye on and I don't think the EU is gonna budge. Wonder how Johnson will deal with parliament when they stick to no no-deal Brexit and they force him to request an extension

I know you didn't. I was just trying to point out how flawed the Brexiteers logic is. They think Boris will solve anything just by going for no deal.

21 hours ago, BadMonster said:

lmao, they can just not pay, but they'd probably be taken to court (just like over the Irish border) and any future trade deal would start with a 40 (or was it 44?) billion euro payment to the EU  :rip:

That's exactly the reason why they can't. It would be unprecedented for the UK not to upheld their international commitments. And it would damage forever their ability to strike serious trade deals, which is what Brexiteers promised: bigger and better trade deals. That won't happen if they start acting like some banana republic.

3 hours ago, LuLuDrops said:

:skull:

"It's usually men who say it" :biblio:

Andrea is flopping

58faIvp.gif

31 minutes ago, Lukey said:

Andrea is flopping

58faIvp.gif

She's been eliminated love

58faIvp.gif

Wild to think she could've just not dropped out and won three years ago

4 minutes ago, Diarrhoea said:

She's been eliminated love

58faIvp.gif

Wild to think she could've just not dropped out and won three years ago

oh

58faIvp.gif

Boris is going to be the PM lol

if y’all thought theresa was bad, brace yourselves for the upcoming mess :fan:

Welp, it's over.

Welcome PM Boris :rip:

What is the public opinion of Boris?? Generally I get the idea he's one of the least favourites amongst the public... he's just another posh, Eton boy.

1 hour ago, nathanspears said:

What is the public opinion of Boris?? Generally I get the idea he's one of the least favourites amongst the public... he's just another posh, Eton boy.

He;s very popular around the country compared to his rivals. 

I'm so ready for King Boris to take over. He is going to be brilliant as PM.

I think people simply knowing who Boris is has practically given him Number 10.

The problem he's going to have is that Brexit will ruin whoever is in office. Doesn't matter how popular you are, it's too messy to survive unscathed.

He's also a complete buffoon with a massive ego, so as soon as he has a global platform where he can't escape his moronic comments...well. Good luck.

How much louder does the left-leaning public have to scream for Labour to listen :rip:

6 hours ago, nathanspears said:

He's popular with his base, outside of that he is hated.

The man is an idiot, he is very nearly a British version of Trump.

He's on record being overtly racist, homophobic, sexist - all around trash.

Mess. The switching.

pete-buttigieg-sunglasses.png

How do Tory leadership elections work? Do they just keep voting and eliminating the bottom 3 candidates until there's one remaining?

I’m genuinely anxious about a Boris premiership in regards to Irish issues. The man is void of any morals and has that old-school English snottiness about him that ravaged the Irish for centuries. Can’t wait for the EU to annex him and his disgusting pals and end Great Britain for good.

1 hour ago, Ashley Banks said:

How do Tory leadership elections work? Do they just keep voting and eliminating the bottom 3 candidates until there's one remaining?

First round - anyone under 16 (if everyone got 16, then the lowest person) is eliminated

Second round - anyone under 32 (if everyone got 32, then the lowest person) is eliminated

and so on and so forth until there are two candidates

At this point Tory members choose between the two.