Condolences to our New Zealand & Muslim members affected by the Christchurch mosque shootings Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - 'The Song Diaries'

28 posts in this topic

Kim Kardashian
11 minutes ago, RT Air said:

I finally checked this out and I hate to admit that it's beyond disappointing. :emofish: Sophie is a sweetheart and I hope this album finds its audience because I know she'd been working on this project for so long. However, the end result is a karaoke-ish, unpolished collection of live takes with a string orchestra in the background.

She wrote a little note in her newsletter about how she hopes we can enjoy these songs in a new light, but the main problem with this album is that it doesn't even try to present them in a new light. They aren't re-imagined (like Kylie's Abbey Road versions were), her vocal deliveries are the exact same as on the originals - except that they're slowed down and sound like they didn't go through any production. The whole album feels like a chore to listen to and that's coming from someone who actually loves her "new" style, Familia was even one of my favourite albums of 2016. This one is just not it, and I hope she moves on to her next project quick. :jonny2:

I agree with this, but at least the touring has been quite extensive - so it has served its purpose in that regard.

I read that she said the next album is dance and will be made with Ed Hartcourt but it's in the early stages.

HonourableVomit
7 hours ago, RT Air said:

I finally checked this out and I hate to admit that it's beyond disappointing. :emofish: Sophie is a sweetheart and I hope this album finds its audience because I know she'd been working on this project for so long. However, the end result is a karaoke-ish, unpolished collection of live takes with a string orchestra in the background.

She wrote a little note in her newsletter about how she hopes we can enjoy these songs in a new light, but the main problem with this album is that it doesn't even try to present them in a new light. They aren't re-imagined (like Kylie's Abbey Road versions were), her vocal deliveries are the exact same as on the originals - except that they're slowed down and sound like they didn't go through any production. The whole album feels like a chore to listen to and that's coming from someone who actually loves her "new" style, Familia was even one of my favourite albums of 2016. This one is just not it, and I hope she moves on to her next project quick. :jonny2:

Yeah I agree with all of this!! I wish I liked it more because she deserves all the nice things in the world but... Two years of waiting and we get some strained vocals and the original arrangements but played on violins instead of guitars.

Maybe pregnancy hampered her vocals when she was recording cause she sounded beautiful on Familia. Still a couple of the songs are cute like Me & My Imagination, Bittersweet and Murder. 

7 hours ago, Kim Kardashian said:

I read that she said the next album is dance and will be made with Ed Hartcourt but it's in the early stages.

in her Q&A yesterday she said she's only recently started putting ideas on paper & she's going to wait for Ed to be free to do any songwriting but at the moment she feels she wants to go in the opposite direction to the orchestra and be "more prog and maybe electro" but wouldn't promise anything because she usually changes her mind. 

Sky Engineer

The only good thing from this era is love is you. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0