Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

"....Baby One More Time" turns 20

63 posts in this topic

u5nDrgA.jpg

Released January 12, 1999

...Baby One More Time is the debut studio album by American singer Britney Spears. It was released on January 12, 1999 through Jive Records. In June 1997, while Spears negotiated with manager Lou Pearlman to join female pop group Innosense, her mother asked family friend and entertainment lawyer Larry Rudolph for his opinion and submitted a tape of Spears singing over a Whitney Houston karaoke song. Rudolph decided to pitch her to record labels, sending them a demo tape with an unused song from Toni Braxton. Jive was interested and appointed the singer to work with producer Eric Foster White. After hearing the recorded material, Jive signed Spears to a multi-album deal.

BRITNEY-SPEARS-Baby-One-More-Time-Pink-V

679bhggon2w11.jpg

-Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 121,000 copies

-Topped the Billboard 200 for 6 non-consecutive weeks

-23,725,000 copies sold worldwide

-10th best-selling female album of all time (worldwide)

-Made Britney the youngest female in Billboard history to have a simultaneous single and album at number one in the same week

-Best-selling album by a teenage solo artist

-Peaked at #1 in 7 countries (Austria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Greece, Switzerland, US)

-Spawed two #1 hits in the UK ("...Baby One More Time", "Born to Make You Happy")

-Spawed four global hits ("...Baby One More Time, "Sometimes, "(You Drive Me) Crazy", "Born to Make You Happy")
-10th highest certified album of the 1990s decade, 4th by a female artist (14x Platinum)

-Sold over 1 million copies in the US, UK and Canada

-Sold over half a million copies in France, Germany, and Japan

"...Baby One More Time" was the best-selling single of 1999 in the UK and Belgium

-"...Baby One More Time" sold over 36,700,000 records worldwide

-More than 1,000,000,000+ streams across all streaming platforms

-NPR included the album on their "150 Greatest Albums Made By Women" list in 2017

BabyAd2.jpgBabyAd.jpg

screen-shot-2017-10-19-at-23731-pm-33baf

bOagPx9.pngWok35k0.pngkzRhD3V.png

gPCFr5O.png

u3mEFXZ.png

Happy 20th anniversary to this ICONIC, gorgeous album. Give it a stream to celebrate!

tumblr_ox4bv72Rgj1w48wlho8_250.gif

I remember buying it in March of 99. It was spring break and I was crazed. I remember my sister looking though the catalogue booklet with the merchandise and laughing saying you can tell she isn’t going to be famous long. I took it to school and in gym class it was all everyone could talk about. I remember  this girl I had a huge crush on asked to borrow it. It made me really popular at school for like a whole week. Britney did that. 

one of the most iconic debuts of ALL TIME :jonny5:

An Era :jonny5: 

Yes this is probably biggest debut era of all time :worship2: 

First CD I ever owned and the first artist I was ever obsessed with. Memories! :heart2:

Aged like milk under the sun

Not a good album at all

3 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

An Era :jonny5: 

Yes this is probably biggest debut era of all time :worship2: 

:rip: 

The most iconic debut of all times.

Legendary album, introducing the legendary career of Miss American Dream, Living Legend (you can look but don’t touch), Princess of Pop, Now Queen of Pop Ms. Britney Spears. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

:rip: 

Can you name a bigger debut era? Maybe Whitney's self-titled but even that is debatable.

OT: The birth of The Pop Princess, Britney's domination in those years is part of my earliest memories of pop music. OIDIA was just as big.

I was -2 years old when it came out but I still remember how iconic this era is lol.

13 minutes ago, Penny. said:

:worship2:

My mom had the cassette when I was little and I remember always bringing it inside from her car to look at the pictures of her. I stanned before I even knew who Britney Spears was lol. 

Baby One More Time 

(You Drive Me) Crazy 

Born to Make You Happy 

Iconic to my childhood :clap3:

11 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

Aged like milk under the sun

Not a good album at all

I will not even bother with you... I see you talking Trash about Britney in a lot of threads! Im pretty sure your fave had bigger debut era :dies: 

4 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

I will not even bother with you... I see you talking Trash about Britney in a lot of threads! Im pretty sure your fave had bigger debut era :dies: 

Please don’t lower yourself by arguing with a random gay who stans ALLY BROOKE :rip:

OT: I Will Be There >>> :smitten: 

Happy Birthday to this iconic album from this legendary career. Miss American Dream since she was 17. :clap3: 

All in time for the 20 Year Ranking!

kXKm5tN.png

She made many points with Soda Pop and E-mail My Heart

Older than most people in here and more iconic, legendary and impactful than all of their faves combined.

This masterpiece just keeps getting better by the day. Ugh, an ALBUM!

A debut era.  :jonny4:

I remember seeing the video on MTV one afternoon, but didn't start stanning until "Making the Video" for "Crazy."  

I remember buying this album and I was so little. My first favorite singer ever and still my number 1 ❤️ 

It's still a good album too, I LOVE the bops Baby, Sometimes, Crazy, Soda Pop, E-Mail My Heart, etc. all bops ❤️ 

The PROTOTYPE! The Queen! A moment that really changed pop music once more, wheeew :jonny5:

My first album. I still have the cassette.