Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

What It Feels Like For A Girl revisited, An Article.

20 posts in this topic

Alongoria13

This lovely article was released yesterday and I thought I'd share:

220px-Madonna_-_What_it_Feels_Like_for_a

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/arts/music/blog/21040666/one-song-madonnas-what-it-feels-like-for-a-girl

Madonna is known for her chameleonic fashion sense and her strong radio-pop instincts, but not many people credit her as a risk-taker. And not many people recognize that the only true throughline in Madonna’s work is Madonna herself. This is not to detract from William Orbit’s obvious brilliance—he’s clearly key to what makes Ray Of Light great—but … Ray Of Light is a Madonna album, not an Orbit album. If you read some original reviews of Ray Of Light, you might not pick up on this distinction.

“What It Feels Like For A Girl” discusses that curious, disempowering practice of girls being indoctrinated to deliberately diminish their presence in order not to threaten the culture of patriarchy. 

The next verse repeats the pattern: a brief optical tour of external femme traits followed by a darker assessment of the internal spirit and cultural circumstance. “Hair that twirls on fingertips so gently…” eventually cedes to the tragic “Hurt that’s not supposed to show/ and tears that fall when no one knows…”

This is followed by the oppressive “When you’re trying hard to be your best/ could you be a little less?” Again, same social covenant: Be weak, baby.  And once again, she poses the question nakedly: “Do you know what it feels like for a girl?”

Still, reviewers tend to ascribe the savvy of her work to her male producers (the more sinister and inaccurate word is “handlers”). But it’s Madonna’s curatorial moxie that leads her to select these collaborators. That moxie is a huge part of her art. Dismissing that factor is ignorant. Madonna carved her own path. William Orbit is cool and all, but you know what’s cooler? Selecting someone as idiosyncratic as William Orbit to produce a radio pop album… and pulling it off!

It’s interesting that someone as powerful and enduring as Madonna (who turned 60 recently) still suffers the withering lacerations of sexism. Think about it: Despite more than 30 years of cunningly holding the world’s attention, there are those who still doubt her artistic acumen!

Being relentlessly charismatic and influential for decades—through multiple aesthetic phases—while being persistently dismissed as a lightweight?

I guess that’s what it feels like for a girl.

Madonna released What It Feels Like For A Girl in 2001 as the third single of Music and its message remains as relevant as ever. Not only for Madonna herself, who has been told since 1984 to **** off, but for women in general. Do you agree?

PopMusicJunkie

I love everything about this song.  :clap3:

The Above & Beyond remix is still great.  

Feminism is a spectrum. Madonna’s part of that spectrum is fraught with complexity. Because sexual allure is a part of her work, she wasn’t always recognized as a feminist. But this much is inarguable: She has been a consistent advocate of female agency and self-determination. 

:jonny4:

Soda Pop Queen

I love What It Feels Like For A Girl (the album version though. I'm mad she didn't stick with it for the video) and I agree that the content of her music and her artistry can be overlooked.

TheWayWeWere

original album version is so much better than the remix one :jonny5: 

Holiest Dreams

The album version is amazing 

TipToe

this sing doesn't get enough praise. i love the music video's message as well, the above n beyond mix is a slay.

The Second Coming

A feminist anthem :clap3: 

Alongoria13
5 hours ago, TipToe said:

this sing doesn't get enough praise. i love the music video's message as well, the above n beyond mix is a slay.

I feel like she will perform it next tour tbh. 

StrangerInTheDark

I remember seeing video back in the day, and finding song so weird because it had no lyrics in it. It was such a random choice... 

Song is big grower, i feel like i love it more with each listen over the years...

Production is stunning. 

T.O.A.D.S.
10 hours ago, Alongoria13 said:

Still, reviewers tend to ascribe the savvy of her work to her male producers

Wow. Her fans do this all the time. 

——

We love a feminist anthem :clap3: the remix is cute girl but the album version is a grown woman. 

Dark Miracles
6 hours ago, TipToe said:

:clap3: 

B-Luke

The album version is a masterpiece, definitely in Madonna’s Top 5.

Josh
7 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

original album version is so much better than the remix one :jonny5: 

AvrilLaQueen

I love the music video. The way she be injuring those men, like a true feministe.

ENuuFxD.gif

THEBEASTWITHIN

I love the lyrics but don't lime the album version.

Lo que siente la mujer on the DWT is absolutely superb! I worship that performance.

The A&B Remix is a masterpiece.

The video is one of her absolute BEST! 

All existing superlative adjectives aren't enough to qualify it.

Travis Bickle

The remix is of course better.

This were the times whe she had good taste, now we have maluma, anitta, migos and likes.

Amazing Trance music. whew

She made a good decision even though it affected the song success. But being risky>>>

Nemo
3 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

The remix is of course better.

This were the times whe she had good taste, now we have maluma, anitta, migos and likes.

Amazing Trance music. whew

She made a good decision even though it affected the song success. But being risky>>>

Yeah no the remix is not better than the album version nice try

Travis Bickle