Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

Most Blatant Plagiarism in Music?

79 posts in this topic

TheCheetahwings
1 hour ago, CakeLikeRihanna said:

This is just sampling though.

I looked it up and originally they werent credited as a sample so it's quite literally plagiarism 

PopFan

Most: Express Yourself/Born This Way

Also: TiK ToK/California Gurls

MadOnHer

Born This Way springs to mind and multiple music critics agree!

Many critics noted similarities between "Born This Way" and Madonna's 1989 song, "Express Yourself", referring to "similar chords, same uplifting, girl-power theme (...), same tempo".[50] Popjustice website pointed out the influence of other Madonna songs like "Deeper and Deeper" (1992) and "Vogue" (1990).[51] Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone acknowledged the influences of Madonna but pointed out that they would not overshadow the song, as it "[summed] up all the complex Gaga mythos, all her politics and Catholic angst and smeared lipstick, in one brilliant pop blast."[52] Caryn Ganz, while writing for Yahoo! Music, criticized "Born This Way", stating that the song was "overworked, overwrought, noisy, cheesy, and very, very derivative." She specifically noted the similarities to songs like "When Love Takes Over" (2010), "Waterfalls" (1995), and three of Madonna's songs: "Express Yourself", "Ray of Light" (1998), and "Vogue".[53] Megan Friedman from Time and Marissa Moss from The Huffington Post summarized their reaction as "mixed", due to the similarities they found with "Express Yourself".[26][54] Neil McCormick of The Daily Telegraph noted that the imitative nature of the song would affect perceptions of Gaga's artistry, since "Born This Way" was "[basically] a reworking of Madonna's 'Express Yourself' with a touch of 'Vogue', which is a bit too much Madonna for someone who is trying to establish her own identity as the, er, new Madonna."[55] The song has also attracted some academic attention: Juliet A. Williams, Professor of Gender studies UCLA, mentioning Madonna's "Express Yourself" and Judith Butler's Gender Trouble, points out its post-essentialist feminist message.[56]

Gaga herself addressed the comparisons on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, explaining that she had received an e-mail from Madonna's representatives, who had mentioned their support for "Born This Way". "If the Queen says it shall be, then it shall be," she added.[58] CNN later reported that Madonna's representatives were not aware that the singer, or her team, had sent Gaga an e-mail regarding the situation.[59]

When interviewed by ABC News in 2012, Madonna was asked about the similarities between "Born This Way" and "Express Yourself", stating: "When I heard ['Born This Way'] on the radio ... I said, 'that sounds very familiar' ... It felt reductive." She also came to report to The Newsweek Daily Beast Company what she had in mind when she heard "Born This Way": "I thought, 'What a wonderful way to redo my song'. I mean, I recognised the chord changes. I thought it was... interesting."[61]