Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

FBF: Madonna: "Whitney is mediocre. The Black Elvis"

289 posts in this topic

Shoto Todoroki

Madonna vents about the backlash she received regarding her recent projects.

Maybe this is what black people felt like when Elvis Presley got huge. It’s so unequivocally frustrating to read that Whitney Houston has the career I wish I had and Sharon Stone has the film career I’ll never have.

Not because I want to be these women because I’d rather die, but they’re so horribly mediocre and they’re always being held up as paragons of virtue and some sort of measuring stick to humiliate me.

42511FD600000578-4695402-image-a-59_1500

Do you agree with Madonna? was Whitney mediocre and the black equivalent of Elvis

X0IYD3a.gif

madonnas

She really was something else in the 90s :deadbanana4:

madonnas

Whitney is pretty mediocre though, musically.  It can't be denied.  Though her voice makes up for it.

Shoto Todoroki

Also this Letter (and many more) were verified to be REAL as Madonna had court ordered these letters NOT to be sold at the auction

X0IYD3a.gif

Dolce Vita

she really thought whitney was mediocre :biblio: 

DockDock
2 minutes ago, Miracle said:

Apologize!!11111!!!!!111

Miss Korea
4 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Whitney is pretty mediocre though, musically.  It can't be denied.  Though her voice makes up for it.

Yeah, Whitney had one of the best voices we will ever hear but her artistry really did stop at that. But that's okay, too.

This letter though :skull:

Shoto Todoroki
1 minute ago, Dolce Vita said:

she really thought whitney was mediocre :biblio: 

The real " :biblio: " moment is basically calling her the black Elvis (i.e. a culture vulture who appropriated a marginalized cultures music and became a superstar)

I-

Petty Bourgeoisie

I get what Madonna was saying about Whitney. The GP ate up Whitney’s product even though she had no artistic identity and or input in her career until well after this letter was written, a textbook-definition label puppet for nearly a decade, whereas Madonna was an artist and innovator with a vital connection to her work, an aspect of her career that is rarely acknowledged to this day. Idk what she’s on about Sharon though, NO one should want Sharon’s career. :rip:

Stankonia

Not surprising coming from the most vile pop girl of all time!

americanlife

This isn't even racist tho. She's just comparing Whitney to Elvis.

MissedTheTrain

What a rude thing to say :rip: 

4 minutes ago, Petty Bourgeoisie said:

I get what Madonna was saying about Whitney. The GP ate up Whitney’s product even though she had no artistic identity and or input in her career until well after this letter was written, a textbook-definition label puppet for nearly a decade, whereas Madonna was an artist and innovator with a vital connection to her work, an aspect of her career that is rarely acknowledged to this day. Idk what she’s on about Sharon though, NO one should want Sharon’s career. :rip:

Whitney had one of the best voices of all time though, it’s not like she was a talentless puppet.  She deserved to be successful and known.

Almighty Gaga

Her lack of self awareness calling anyone mediocre :skull:

Stankonia
5 minutes ago, AALIYAH DANA said:

The real " :biblio: " moment is basically calling her the black Elvis (i.e. a culture vulture who appropriated a marginalized cultures music and became a superstar)

I-

Especially when her first album was basic R&B of the time produced by Nile Rodgers, people even thought she was black when her singles were playing on the radio. :ahh: The utter lack of self awareness I-

madonnas
1 minute ago, Stankonia said:

Especially when her first album was basic R&B of the time produced by Nile Rodgers, people even thought she was black when her singles were playing on the radio. :ahh: The utter lack of self awareness I-

Her first album wasn't produced by Nile.  Her 2nd album was, and it was distinctively less R&B than her first.

But yeah that comment about Elvis was dumb af. 

Young In Love

Madonna calling Whitney mediocre i- :deadbanana:

Rumystic

This woman had NOTHING on Whitney. The sheer audacity of her :dies:

She is CANCELLED!

yonsé
8 minutes ago, Petty Bourgeoisie said:

I get what Madonna was saying about Whitney. The GP ate up Whitney’s product even though she had no artistic identity and or input in her career until well after this letter was written, a textbook-definition label puppet for nearly a decade

i have to laugh.

whitney houston is one of the greatest talents of all time. she absolutely deserved her success, whether she was writing her songs or not. she was a vocalist, specifically so. her voice was her draw, the things she could do with it, the way she used it. it was her instrument. 

Madonna was an artist and innovator with a vital connection to her work, an aspect of her career that is rarely acknowledged to this day. 

the ONLY aspect of madonna's career that is mentioned is how innovative she was to everyone that followed her. why are u making things up?

madonna was bitter because whitney was more naturally talented than she was. that much STILL rings true. and madonna made up for her lack of vocals and rhythm by bringing the artistry. there's nothing wrong with that, but theres no need to try to downplay whitney's impact to make that point.

iHype.

Maybe the public just likes singers.... who can sing? I don’t why she’s acting like when people hear a song on RADIO in 1991 they were expecting some next level artistic thought. People wanted to hear a soothing voice. 

Dry humping on stage, having sex with a dog for controversy, and having a bare minimum voice isn’t everyone’s cup of tea for a singer. Sorry.